Is it too much?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It is a hybrid between Scaena 3.2 and Altec a7.

I set it up two months ago.

Thanks for your compliment

What is your opinion on the jacket of album?
I guess the sound is super impressive with a large scale! Two months is, on the faster side for a setup like this. Why this particular choice?

About the album, well it is more hippy than provocative in my opinion :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is that one of the rejected Spinal Tap album covers?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I guess the sound is super impressive with a large scale! Two months is, on the faster side for a setup like this. Why this particular choice?

About the album, well it is more hippy than provocative in my opinion :)

I was happy with bi amped Altec A7 using active cross over augmented by two 18 inch Scaena subwoofers from 56 hz down.

When I set up Scaena 3.2 main tower, I used the existing set up to replace Altec a7 treble horn with main tower of Scaena.

But it wored wonder.

Scaena main tower give very wide and deep 3 d soundstage while Altec basshorn give very powerful bass.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

I was happy with bi amped Altec A7 using active cross over augmented by two 18 inch Scaena subwoofers from 56 hz down.

When I set up Scaena 3.2 main tower, I used the existing set up to replace Altec a7 treble horn with main tower of Scaena.

But it wored wonder.

Scaena main tower give very wide and deep 3 d soundstage while Altec basshorn give very powerful bass.
Cool! Did you do any matching between Altecs and Scaena, or did they just fall in proper from the get go?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
She's going to get a yeast infection if she doesn't loosen up those jeans.

• Haha
Reactions: thomask

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
They are connected through active analog crossover (Nelson desinged Pap C1 also I have Accuphase F25).

Currently I am happy with 290hz crossover point, but I may try other frequency later.
Papa Nelson makes some amazing stuff. Are you tuning by ear, or with a microphone?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

I had switched from Pap C1 to Accuphase F25 for croosover.

It sounds more weighty and full bodied through F25 while it sounds detailed through Pap C1.

I prefer the sound from F25.
I agree that Accuphase puts something unique into the sound. I like their products a lot. So, what's the next step for you?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I agree that Accuphase puts something unique into the sound. I like their products a lot. So, what's the next step for you?
I am comparing between Nelson designed Pap C1 and Accuphase F25.

While F25 give more refined sound, Pap C1 give more transparent sound.

Thus I may go back and forth between them depending on my mood. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
My tip when you want a mix pap and accuphase look here, ok expensive tube xover.
A friend have that in his 4 way active horn system.

P.S they made amazing preamps with phono or dsd dac too

Reactions: thomask

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing