Replicating audio codec ALC887 on DAC possible OR not?

empleat

Feb 4, 2024
Czech Republic
OMG i had this shitty old mobo ga-m75-D2V on my old PC with audio codec "Realtek ALC887" whereas my new mobo Asus Z390-i Gaming has "SupremeFX S1220A". And it is like difference day and night! I didn't realize after years how much. It has shitty bases and heights are bit distorted and overall audio feels flat and there is less range. But this M O T H E R F U C K I N G ALC887 it is so lively and crystal clear, while in dirt dubstep it has pugnancy, it bites literally! And volume transitions and levels are perfect and after second of silence how fucking load this sound instantly sounds! I am not audio expert i cannot even describe how good this is! Even it is bit distorted sometimes at extremes like Dirty Dubstep: but it is so dirty i love it! It is like so fucking lively it is ABSURD! It brought me from depression and hypomania to feeling manic how strong this is! It is absurd how much difference there can be between 2 sound cards!

I want to ask is it possible to replicate old audio codec on DAC, to be exactly same, without losing original feel to it? I Am not expert on this and i have severe chronic pain, i cannot even properly read and i have severe cognitive issues... I love listen to music, but since i got my computer i got bored even of music as it is flat and so artificial! I have only music, my life is utterly empty :(

OMG listening to this channel in 2011+ https://www.youtube.com/@goingquantum/videos and reading 16 hours philosophy after i had existential crisis these were best times of my life! I am so nostalgic and listening to dirty dubstep, drum & bass and electro! I Am telling you this codec is absolutely fucking perfect!

I am not buying completely new PC even if it existed on newer motherboards still, and i am tired to put it all together in my state... Or risk it won't be the same anyways, in case there was new codec that were very similar to this...

So i wanted to ask in case some enthusiatist does this for fun, rebuilding old codecs on DAC, not sure if it is even possible and if it can be achieved only through software! Again not expert, i wanted to pick musical instrument as music is highest form of art (as it is direct representation of things-in-themselves and of will) but i have fucking RSI 8 years i am crippled, i couldn't do even that my life is HELL :( OMG this would make me life so much better if it was possible, i don't enjoy listening to music at all on my new computer. Even new 350$+ headphones makes no difference!

PS: might be impossible to replicate exact experience, as even internal circuitry of motherboard causes latency by HW and what timer it uses and then it is DPC latency which is mostly caused by software (drivers in OS), but still. I Am not sure if exact feel could be replicated, if it wouldn't lose it charm you would have to tell me! As my old mobo feels super low latency, even my newer has low DPC latency there is more input lag!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing