Is it the amps, the speakers...or the amps-speakers synergy?

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
We always, in order, consider: Room - Loudspeaker - Amplifier. Loudspeaker for the Room and Amplifier for the Loudspeaker.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This is turning out to be a really interesting, thought provoking thread.
My finding Zu was such a serendipitous moment, they sold themselves to me in 5 minutes in 2008, and 7 years later I've never regretted my decision for a moment.
A big plus point has been the ability, nay insistence, for the Zus to make me go SETs, and the combination w/a whole series of system of tweaks is to die for.
And now, w/my second set of Zus and second set of SETs, I'm at a sort of epiphany moment, where I really want for nothing (not saying impvts can't further be wrought)
And so my paradigm has been to stick w/high efficiency/SETs, since this seems to be the "flavour" or "personality" I like.
Hence my choices being - stay as is/go Zu Experiences (soon to be released $30k flagships)/go horns eg AG Duos, Trios or Sadurnis/all sticking w/my Nats SETs as is.

But Audio Land's paradigm really chimes w/me too. Assess the room you're in and what spkrs it will support and won't support. Pick the best one within budget. Find the amps that suit that spkr the best.

No middle way between these two paradigms.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Those aren't my spkrs.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
We always, in order, consider: Room - Loudspeaker - Amplifier. Loudspeaker for the Room and Amplifier for the Loudspeaker.

Clean Power, proper grounding is paramount too as is vibration control.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nothing is perfectly designed at consumer-level products.

You should check the components Purite sells. They all measure the best sitting on the floor

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Solid state equipment will gain no benefit whatsoever .
Keith.
Well if you say so then it must be true, regardless of the collective experience of many others including some highly educated engineers. I would kindly suggest making such observational opinions in a manner that declares them to be "in your experience" rather than as being statements of absolute fact.

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
Clean Power, proper grounding is paramount too as is vibration control.

Agree with the statement, clean power is the foundation of feeding electronics. The cleanest we have found is using a dedicate own power to power the room: Generator Set. It is to much hassle but you won't be living without it after installing and hearing the different. :)

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
This is turning out to be a really interesting, thought provoking thread.
My finding Zu was such a serendipitous moment, they sold themselves to me in 5 minutes in 2008, and 7 years later I've never regretted my decision for a moment.
A big plus point has been the ability, nay insistence, for the Zus to make me go SETs, and the combination w/a whole series of system of tweaks is to die for.
And now, w/my second set of Zus and second set of SETs, I'm at a sort of epiphany moment, where I really want for nothing (not saying impvts can't further be wrought)
And so my paradigm has been to stick w/high efficiency/SETs, since this seems to be the "flavour" or "personality" I like.
Hence my choices being - stay as is/go Zu Experiences (soon to be released $30k flagships)/go horns eg AG Duos, Trios or Sadurnis/all sticking w/my Nats SETs as is.

But Audio Land's paradigm really chimes w/me too. Assess the room you're in and what spkrs it will support and won't support. Pick the best one within budget. Find the amps that suit that spkr the best.

No middle way between these two paradigms.

Wish you all the best in finding the right one for your room. If your room can accommodate AG duo, trio and Sadurni, we are just speculating here since we have not compared them in our room, Sadurni will be likely a better choice.

Happy hunting!!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Agree with the statement, clean power is the foundation of feeding electronics. The cleanest we have found is using a dedicate own power to power the room: Generator Set. It is to much hassle but you won't be living without it after installing and hearing the different. :)

What kind of generator you found that was acceptable for your purpose? Many of them will introduce mechanical noise into the lines.
david

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
What kind of generator you found that was acceptable for your purpose? Many of them will introduce mechanical noise into the lines.
david

Hi David,

No noise at all when you put it on the other room. Ultra silent 53db at 7 meter.

We cracked the wall since the door was too narrow for it. Forklift will be needed unless you have 17 strong friends who can lift this 1700 lbs godzilla.

Attachments

• Genset.jpg
    Genset.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 87

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David,

No noise at all when you put it on the other room. Ultra silent 53db at 7 meter.

We cracked the wall since the door was too narrow for it. Forklift will be needed unless you have 17 strong friends who can lift this 1700 lbs godzilla.

Very nice Johan! You really can't depend on commercial electricity these days, specially where you're located.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wish you all the best in finding the right one for your room. If your room can accommodate AG duo, trio and Sadurni, we are just speculating here since we have not compared them in our room, Sadurni will be likely a better choice.

Happy hunting!!
Hi have you heard both the trios with bass horns and the sadurni

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Its the speakers and the amp and the room
I went all in and bought the G1's and a devialet and then rebuilt my room to suit the combo
I could write reams on what the system sounds like etc .. but suffice it to say that every time you listen , its not just music , its an experience.

I would second that wholeheartedly! The Devialets make the Giyas sing. The bass response of the Giyas is otherworldly!!

Btw, which devialet amps are you using? i have heard the 400 monos and they sounded absolutely amazing....

Cheers

Sujay

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So, in a nutshell, am I right to consider amps-spkrs synergy/pairing as a whole, or still go for the best sounding spkrs, and adjust the amps choice accordingly?

I think this is a false dichotomy. I think one selects the speakers one wants (going for "the best sounding speakers") and then one selects an amplifier which, to one's ears, is synergistic with the speakers ("amplifiers/speakers synergy/pairing as a whole") and which, together with the speakers, creates the sound one wants.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think this is a false dichotomy. I think one selects the speakers one wants (going for "the best sounding speakers") and then one selects an amplifier which, to one's ears, is synergistic with the speakers ("amplifiers/speakers synergy/pairing as a whole") which, together with the speakers, creates the sound one wants.

I can only say that is how i ended up doing it.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I think this is a false dichotomy. I think one selects the speakers one wants (going for "the best sounding speakers") and then one selects an amplifier which, to one's ears, is synergistic with the speakers ("amplifiers/speakers synergy/pairing as a whole") and which, together with the speakers, creates the sound one wants.

Not really Ron, its not just about the sound there can be electronic compatibility issues too. As to which approach, its a personal choice, you can't call it false dichotomy. Speaking for my self, I'm sold on Lamm SETs since 1998 and that's it for me and all speaker purchases since have been carefully selected with them in mind. In fact we dropped all other lines in 2000 only carry Lamm products since, so in my case electronics come first.

david

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
Hi have you heard both the trios with bass horns and the sadurni
Heard Sadurni at the show only. As with Trio, our customer has Trio with bass horn. We are familiar with electronics for the Trio since we have supplied some amps and cables for him. Again, we have not compared them side by side.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have the D premier.. would consider another for a 500 system , Im not going to upgrade the d prem to a 250 as its eu 4000 and i wont gain much...
I use a pure sine wave 5kva inverter along with a 6 x 200ah deep cycle battery system to power my room , totally silent , pristine power ...cost circa $1700.. its always in line , ie I always have clean power ... the system resides in my garage

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing