IQ Test

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I took one in HS, don't recall which, and the old S-B and modified S-B back in college during psych classes (got within two points on those two tests, and was essentially the same score I got in HS, hmph). Age biasing (weighting) was added because most people would see their score reduce as they got older (various studies showed that, along with various rationale as to why it was true). In college I had some understanding of the tests and thought behind them, all lost in the lists of time now, alas. I am not about to take this one, don't need nobody tellin' me how stupid I've grown, have wife and kids for that. :) Way too long since my pre-med classes, and I became a hairy-knuckled engineer instead of a medical doctor.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I suspect we have all taken a similar test in HS and elem. I certainly did. Plus on entry in the military before and boot. Did tend to put one in a box there, good or bad. Plus now that I think about it, Univac and Honeywell had versions on job interviews. Early 70's.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
No if you could figure out how to navigate the test without looking, your IQ would be proven to be off the chart already. :D

My phone has an app. that will read for you. Fortunately there are many ways to be blind. There is also expectation bias. I am sure my ability exceeds any score I might achieve.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
The other day the judge's wife asked me if a would rather be blind or deaf. ...I said deaf...about you guys; if you can pick only one?

My Turbo IQ views the question and my answer to "Would you rather be blind or deaf?" is "No."

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The eyes are so dominant. I would rather listen to music.
My IQ story. I always thought I was smartest in school. My ex-girl friend bested me by 2 points. It is ok. She never knew.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The eyes are so dominant. I would rather listen to music.

Say you walk through a forest atop a mountain...with ears only or with eyes only?
Or, you watch a Charlie Chaplin's movie ...?
Or, a classical musical concert ballet @ the opera hall?

* A professional artist musician/painter agreed with me...eyes first. We'd rather see the eagle fly up high in the sky than hear his wings cutting through the wind above our heads. ...If only one choice available.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I suspect we have all taken a similar test in HS and elem. I certainly did. Plus on entry in the military before and boot. Did tend to put one in a box there, good or bad. Plus now that I think about it, Univac and Honeywell had versions on job interviews. Early 70's.

Probably, though the usual ones I had in school were much simpler. The one I took in HS was a half (or maybe all) day affair they gave to just a few students. Some of the tests employers give now are similar to some of the short IQ tests, and also to various mind games/puzzles on the 'net.

Like everyone else, I have known certified (literally!) geniuses who can't be trusted to have a drop of common sense in the real world, and "dummies" who know more about construction or my car than I ever will. :) And some geniuses who were just crazy good at anything they wanted to do. I'd hate them, but all the really, really smart people I have known have been really great people, too. I am lucky and proud to have several friends like that.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I didn't take the test. I don't need to prove I'm a dumbass to anyone.
Besides, when you are 65 the only tests that you need to pass are stress tests and Electrocardiograms! :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^ I think there are a few more, and more intrusive, tests to "pass"... :)
That reminds me....I'm due for a prodding!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I would reframe it as a vanity test:

Not vain: Not taking the test
Moderately vain: Actually taking the test
Highly vain: Advertising your score on social media
Narcissist: Actually believing the score reflects your true IQ

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Between branch and twig?

Here's what I think: Don't put any importance to that test. And two: everyone here @ WBF shouldn't score below 139.

? A tougher one was the number of four surface's forms. ...A geometry skill test. ...That was my forte @ college...in practical term. ...And I missed. :D

..well that excludes me...the last one I took in HS had me at 136. Does that mean I need to register at Audioholics? :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would reframe it as a vanity test:

Not vain: Not taking the test
Moderately vain: Actually taking the test
Highly vain: Advertising your score on social media
Narcissist: Actually believing the score reflects your true IQ

Guilty as charged :). As we get older, the opportunity to demonstrate such vanity grows smaller and smaller. We show off our expensive systems, fancy cars, taste in food, and how much music we have or know. Let's add posting your "IQ" number on the test to that. :)

BTW one of the reasons I did well on the test was practice. Steve turned me on to a puzzle app called Wordbrain where you find words in patterns of seemingly random letter. At first I could not do any of them without a hint. Now well into the game at times I can instantly solve the puzzle. The ones in this test now seem like child's play compared to that. Years ago when I took these tests in aptitude tests I had a very hard time with them.

So has my IQ increased or is it the same and I am just good at something now?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I didn't take the test. I don't need to prove I'm a dumbass to anyone.
Besides, when you are 65 the only tests that you need to pass are stress tests and Electrocardiograms! :D

..I hear ya Mosin...I stayed up all night studying for my urine test and still flunked it..

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Guilty as charged :). As we get older, the opportunity to demonstrate such vanity grows smaller and smaller. We show off our expensive systems, fancy cars, taste in food, and how much music we have or know. Let's add posting your "IQ" number on the test to that. :)

BTW one of the reasons I did well on the test was practice. Steve turned me on to a puzzle app called Wordbrain where you find words in patterns of seemingly random letter. At first I could not do any of them without a hint. Now well into the game at times I can instantly solve the puzzle. The ones in this test now seem like child's play compared to that. Years ago when I took these tests in aptitude tests I had a very hard time with them.

Ibelieve a comprehensive "IQ" test has multiple dimensions, including word unscrambling, spacial thinking, and recognizing analogies, pattern recognition etc.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I believe a comprehensive "IQ" test has multiple dimensions, including word unscrambling, spacial thinking, and recognizing analogies, pattern recognition etc.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
... the usual ones I had in school were much simpler. The one I took in HS was a half (or maybe all) day affair they gave to just a few students. Some of the tests employers give now are similar to some of the short IQ tests, and also to various mind games/puzzles on the 'net.

Like everyone else, I have known certified (literally!) geniuses who can't be trusted to have a drop of common sense in the real world, and "dummies" who know more about construction or my car than I ever will. :) And some geniuses who were just crazy good at anything they wanted to do. I'd hate them, but all the really, really smart people I have known have been really great people, too. I am lucky and proud to have several friends like that.

Right on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing