Innuos Pulsar ????

Yes, and the Phoenices will get ARC6 modules to have a straight upgrade path, both are quite old now, considering that Ideon Audio launched a new reclocker for 6k.

Matt
Not sure about that. Users do not necessarily want extra boxes even if (for now?) it allows for extra isolation and other benefits. It seems to me with this years Pulsar launch and what currently some other brands are doing eventually all elements could be integrated in one single box. If Antipodes can do that with the Oladra or a K50, Innuos should be able to do that with a ''Pulsar-ARC6-Phoenix-Net-USB'' for the same price but likely much less and a distinctly new level SQ.

Last edited:
Reactions: tedwoods
Thank you.

How do you think that compares, in sonic effect, to the Mutec 3+ USB?
No fair comparison I would say at x times the price. Unless you can buy a Mutec 3+ USB for $750? The latter should be better on any level in sonic effect. That is based on review and specs comparison.

If the Matrix has no galvanic isolation you could share power with your Linear Tube Audio LPS+ 12V power supply. Make sure to verify, but it could save you (for now) a PSU. You will need a DC splitter cable though.

Last edited:
No fair comparison I would say at x times the price. Unless you can buy a Mutec 3+ USB for $750? The latter should be better on any level in sonic effect. That is based on review and specs comparison.

If the Matrix has no galvanic isolation you could share power with your Linear Tube Audio LPS+ 12V power supply. Make sure to verify, but it could save you (for now) a PSU. You will need a DC splitter cable though.

I was thinking I would just get a second Linear Tube Audio LPS+ ?

Sure Ron , but I understood you had $750 to spend?

To my knowledge a Mutec 3+ USB is $1650, a Linear Tube Audio LPS+ from $650.

An other point to consider: you seem to have a wonderful DAC that I am not familiar with but i see it has the following outputs inputs: USB, SPDIF, TOSLINK and AES/EBU. Did you consider exploring it's other possibly superior outputs inputs besides the USB?

If for example you would opt for a Denafrips IRIS (PSU built in) it will allow you to explore the other outputs to your DAC.
https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-iris?currency=USD @ $560.

Last edited:
Sure Ron , but I understood you had $750 to spend?

To my knowledge a Mutec 3+ USB is $1650, a Linear Tube Audio LPS+ from $650.

An other point to consider: you seem to have a wonderful DAC that I am not familiar with but i see it has the following outputs: USB, SPDIF, TOSLINK and AES/EBU. Did you consider exploring it's other possibly superior outputs besides the USB?

If for example you would opt for a Denafrips IRIS (PSU built in) it will allow you to explore the other outputs to your DAC.
https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-iris?currency=USD @ $560.

I was assuming I might try to get a Mutec 3+ USB used.

Lampizator owners generally seem to use the USB, so I have not explored other outputs.

I was assuming I might try to get a Mutec 3+ USB used.

Lampizator owners generally seem to use the USB, so I have not explored other outputs.
Good to stick with USB then, and a good USB cable (2 possibly).

There are so many USB reclocker options to consider up until the price level of PhoenixUSB. I am sure the MINIPulse can be happy with lesser priced than a PhoenixUSB. I hope I have inspired you with some well regarded options whether that be MATRIX, DENAFRIPS, MUTEC or a SINGXER SU6 USB Interface, the latter right in the ball park.

Good luck, Ron

Last edited:
Good to stick with USB then, and a good USB cable (2 possibly).

There are so many USB reclocker options to consider up until the price level of PhoenixUSB. I am sure the MINIPulse can be happy with lesser priced than a PhoenixUSB. I hope I have inspired you with some well regarded options whether that be MATRIX, DENAFRIPS, MUTEC or a SINGXER SU6 USB Interface, the latter right in the ball park.

Good luck, Ron

Thank you for your suggestions and advice!

IMG_0101.jpeg

TUE, 01/08/2023 HARDWARE REVIEWS

Innuos Pulsar: star quality​

“The finest dedicated streamer in the Innuos catalogue is a high resolution device that’s capable of superb results with the right ancillaries, it sounds excellent with a good recording on Qobuz and even better with the same thing on a music server.”

“(...) the Pulsar has an ARC6 rectification and capacitor module in a linear power supply based around Mundorf capacitors running off a 300VA toroidal transformer. This drives the main PCB, an SSD for the InnuOS operating system and a PhoenixUSB Lite reclocker via three rails to minimise interference between these elements.

We reviewed the PhoenixUSB when it was launched and were very impressed with what it could achieve when placed between a server and a DAC, in many ways it was as effective as a good streamer at enhancing sound quality.

The suffix Lite indicates that it has a single power rail rather than the two found in the full fat version. It means that the USB output, there are no analogue outputs on the Pulsar, should produce decent results.”

- - -

Last edited:
Relatedly, one reason I picked the PULSEmini was because, after "auditioning" different streamer music selection interfaces, I found Innous Sense intuitive and easy to use.

Now that I have been actually using it for a couple of months, I think my initial impression was correct. I am happy playing Qobuz through Sense. (I have no desire to use Roon, and Qobuz through Sense is a simple solution for me.)

View attachment 114342

TUE, 01/08/2023 HARDWARE REVIEWS

Innuos Pulsar: star quality​

“The finest dedicated streamer in the Innuos catalogue is a high resolution device that’s capable of superb results with the right ancillaries, it sounds excellent with a good recording on Qobuz and even better with the same thing on a music server.”

“(...) the Pulsar has an ARC6 rectification and capacitor module in a linear power supply based around Mundorf capacitors running off a 300VA toroidal transformer. This drives the main PCB, an SSD for the InnuOS operating system and a PhoenixUSB Lite reclocker via three rails to minimise interference between these elements.

We reviewed the PhoenixUSB when it was launched and were very impressed with what it could achieve when placed between a server and a DAC, in many ways it was as effective as a good streamer at enhancing sound quality.

The suffix Lite indicates that it has a single power rail rather than the two found in the full fat version. It means that the USB output, there are no analogue outputs on the Pulsar, should produce decent results.”

- - -

Interesting that the reviewer states the true resolution:

Supported Digital Formats: up to PCM 32-bit/384kHz

while the Innuos website continues the fiction:

PULSAR outputs PCM up to 32bit/768kHz

Reactions: Di-fi and kennyb123
I completely get your point, there is just a delta between the performance of the PhoenixUSB and PhoenixLite which raises some questions. One question is why didn't Innuos offer the Pulsar a full PhoenixUSB solution? Did they do it to maintain the hierarchy between their best streamer and their best server? Certainly the Statement is much superior so there wouldn't be much of a competition if they offered the Pulsar a full PhoenixUSB solution.

Matt
I tend to believe the real reason must have been that the amperage requirements of the power supply would have shifted to a point where it wouldn't have been practical to maintain the benefits of the overall design.
Mind you, Innuos will be releasing other modules too and when that happens (especially true for i squared s) this whole discussion could effectively be rendered obsolete...
In my book, having sq close to the Statement with the potential of exceeding that given level through a future upgrade kinda nulls the point of just having an "ultimate" USB solution now...not that I'm complaining about the sq as is ...

Reactions: matthias
On another note, has anyone used the grounding outlet on the Pulsar yet?

On another note, has anyone used the grounding outlet on the Pulsar yet?
Not that it answers your question but apparently the PhoenixUSB sounds best when plugged on to another AC circuit or to a grounding box while the other equipment should have dedicated AC (and grounding), YMMV of course and hopefully some readers here can confirm.

The PhoenixUSB establishes a connection between streamer and DAC circuits; there is no galvanic isolation integrated. FWIW the Zenith is grounded via the USB/Ethernet socket casings, plus the screw top centre at the case's rear.

So based on above with the USB reclocker located in the Pulsar itself, one can not have the sonic grounding advantage that is possible with a separate PhoenixUSB.

It seems worth a try to unplug the PhoenixUSB from your power conditioner or (dedicated) audio AC circuit. Hearing is believing.
Luckily grounding is rather easy to try, but sometimes difficult to grasp to have it right. Again, I do not know if the same grounding benefits apply to the Pulsar but since INNUOS offers that option on the chassis it seems grounding could make a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: tedwoods
Thank you for your suggestions and advice!
Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio makes a terrific low-cost USB-in to USB-out isolation plus reclocking device - excerpt from some correspondence:

Yes total isolation and reclocking. All of my dacs have isolation but here is one that I designed that is not.

iso_vs_noiso.jpg

This is a basic 1Khz sine wave into a Prism dScope III Audio Analyzer. The Red is directly from a MacBook Pro i9x8. The Blue is isolated with the USB Spacelator.

In all cases the Blue is better than the Red by 17dB, but as you can see in the low end the Blue just kills the red.

Attachments

• IMG_2421.jpeg
    IMG_2421.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: skids929
anyone able to compare this to Sonore SignatureRendu?

I might upgrade my streamer later this year

I went fron an opticalRendu with Plixir LPS to an Innuos pulse mini/SJ Arc 6 solution and much prefer the sound of innuos which has a much more refined full range sound but the SJ Arc 6 is a really big part of the equation.

My Pulsar has landed. Flawless and simple setup. Sounds decent cold out of the box.

Reactions: harsheel_dbs
I went fron an opticalRendu with Plixir LPS to an Innuos pulse mini/SJ Arc 6 solution and much prefer the sound of innuos which has a much more refined full range sound but the SJ Arc 6 is a really big part of the equation.
Out of curiosity, are you using Roon or Sense?

I thought I’d add my impressions here.

I recently got a great deal on a Pulsar that I couldn’t pass up. I’m coming from a Zen Mini S + LPSU.

The difference was immediate - bigger soundstage, better instrument separation, more clearly articulated bass. After burning in for ~100 hours I went back and forth and I very easily prefer the Pulsar. The Mini does have a denser presentation that is very coherent which I find very pleasing. The Pulsar just sounds like the next level to me.

I also compared playing stored files via my external hard drive over NAS to the Pulsar vs. playing stored files on the Zen Mini to the Pulsar as an endpoint. The results were very similar in sonic presentation and not enough to justify me keeping the Zen Mini. I assumed the Mini would sound better than my NAS drive but that’s not what I heard.

Finally, I went back and compared the stored files vs. streaming via the Pulsar and there was an easily noticeable difference. Track after track I preferred the Pulsar via Qobuz to my stored FLAC files. I read somewhere that the Pulsar is supposed to sound better in standalone mode vs. being used as an endpoint and I agree that was the case for me.

Overall I’m very happy with my Pulsar purchase. I feel that it’s a noticeable improvement from the Zen Mini S + LPSU. I don’t know how I would describe the Innuos ‘house sound’, but to me the Pulsar does not deviate from the Zen Mini S. I find that it just offers more, and better, of the same style.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing