If you could have one album re-mastered what would it be?

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Top of my head: PJ Harvey's 'To Bring You My Love' Remastered vinyl was threatened many times but never materialized.

Always on the hunt for remasters of loved albums as so many of my faves growing up are compressed to death among other maladies.
Widely available in the UK, think the one I picked up was from around 2016 and another release last year

The catalogue has been rereleased on vinyl over the past few months along with demo versions of each. Picked up Dry last week while ordering Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea which is finally getting a rerelease end of the month (after years of waiting!)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
.. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea which is finally getting a rerelease end of the month (after years of waiting!)
Please report on how this LP sounds. A favorite of mine...

Reactions: defride

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Widely available in the UK, think the one I picked up was from around 2016 and another release last year

The catalogue has been rereleased on vinyl over the past few months along with demo versions of each. Picked up Dry last week while ordering Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea which is finally getting a rerelease end of the month (after years of waiting!)
I thought only remastered demo versions were released -- thought the recent vinyl pressing was a reissue, not a remaster.

And yeah, would love to hear what you think of 'Stories...'

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I thought only remastered demo versions were released -- thought the recent vinyl pressing was a reissue, not a remaster.

And yeah, would love to hear what you think of 'Stories...'
Yes, looks like you're right, reissue rather than remaster. Still unless prepared to take a punt on s/h quality at big money this is the first opportunity to own it on vinyl for many years

''produced by pj harvey with rob ellis and mick harvey, and originally released in october 2000, stories from the city, stories from the sea features the singles ‘good fortune’, 'a place called home' and ‘this is love’ and includes a duet with radiohead's thom yorke on 'this mess we're in'. the album won the mercury music prize in 2001. reissue is faithful to the original recording and package, cutting by jason mitchell at loud mastering under the guidance of longtime pj harvey producer head.'' press release

Due for release Friday

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
PJ pic.jpg

It arrived Friday, waited for another album before pulling out the ultrasonic cleaner. That out of the way, so on to the platter.

A bit, well, okay, maybe I was just expecting to absolutely love it... First impression, my copy seems to lack a touch of the life and spatial resolution of the other albums I picked up at the same time which includes her Dry album.

Second time through I bumped the volume and much more satisfying

Happy to finally own a copy

Reactions: Solypsa

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
View attachment 75487

It arrived Friday, waited for another album before pulling out the ultrasonic cleaner. That out of the way, so on to the platter.

A bit, well, okay, maybe I was just expecting to absolutely love it... First impression, my copy seems to lack a touch of the life and spatial resolution of the other albums I picked up at the same time which includes her Dry album.

When I visited the studio @ Primary Control we played ( a previous pressing of ) this album and I had similar reaction. Darn...

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I don’t mean to go too far off the range here but, on my wish list is not so much a re-mastering of a particular album but that it would’ve been captured right in the beginning! I could spend a whole day making a list of albums that I find beautifully conceived and performed but never captured properly.

Derek and the Dominoes -Layla

The Decemberists -The King is Dead

most of Buffalo Springfield’s albums

etc...

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This list starts and ends w Rush/Clockwork Angels.

So sad to see a band let loose such sub par mastering on their adoring fans. Especially after the sonic oversight that was Vapor Trails.
Unforgivable.

A very special place in Hell also reserved for Living Colour/Vivid.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Not 'The One' but a surprisingly good remaster of maybe ten years ago is Steve Miller's 'Fly Like an Eagle'. Really nice depth and the hard as nails highs of older digital masters are rendered smoother though not lacking in bite.

GertSterlingSilver

Aug 12, 2016
Netherlands
a1455647627_10.jpg "bounds green"
From the album bounds green. The sound is a just a bit distorted for my taste.
I think it's released on vinyl too and mp3. . . .
Why mp3 I have no idea, mp3 is an archaic pest and I wish it would just die off, it does offer some advantages I know... but still.

Last edited:

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
If I could have but "one" album remastered ?

A favorite of Dr Michael DeBakey, often heard softly humming in his surgical suite at Houston Methodist. As you can see my copy is plainly worn out, which pains my heart greatly. I'm sure some dynamic improvements are in order to truly resirwreck this masterpiece. If I could only put two hearts together, it can’t be beat.

1640453910904.png

Last edited:
Reactions: astrotoy

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
1640500562468.png
Solomon playing Beethoven’s Hammerklavier.
HMV mono from 1956.

Reactions: Michael Davitt

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Kiss, Destroyer...just looked it up on Spotify, looks like it was done earlier this year, will have to check it out. I love this album,have not played it in decades and spun it recently and the cd and damn what a shitty recording.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Ella and Louis my old LP still sounds better than all the different versions out there.

Reactions: jespera

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
View attachment 75487

Great album. The original UK pressing kicks butt!! Luv it

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I don’t mean to go too far off the range here but, on my wish list is not so much a re-mastering of a particular album but that it would’ve been captured right in the beginning! I could spend a whole day making a list of albums that I find beautifully conceived and performed but never captured properly.

Derek and the Dominoes -Layla

The Decemberists -The King is Dead

most of Buffalo Springfield’s albums

etc...

The Chris Bellman remastered Buffalo Springfield albums from a couple of yrars back sound amazing

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
If I could have but "one" album remastered ?

A favorite of Dr Michael DeBakey, often heard softly humming in his surgical suite at Houston Methodist. As you can see my copy is plainly worn out, which pains my heart greatly. I'm sure some dynamic improvements are in order to truly resirwreck this masterpiece. If I could only put two hearts together, it can’t be beat.

View attachment 86991
Great story. i don't know whether Dr. Norman Shumway of Stanford did any humming when he was doing heart transplants (he was the other great heart transplant surgeon during the '60's and '70's. ) My wife was at Stanford (one of two women in the Medical School Class of '73, the other one became Shumway's resident in his thoracic surgery program - the men were shocked when she was selected). Shumway said motorcycle riders who didn't wear a helmet were the best heart transplant donors - young and healthy whose hearts were in good shape when they became donors.

Larry

Reactions: Michael Davitt

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Great story. i don't know whether Dr. Norman Shumway of Stanford did any humming when he was doing heart transplants (he was the other great heart transplant surgeon during the '60's and '70's. ) My wife was at Stanford (one of two women in the Medical School Class of '73, the other one became Shumway's resident in his thoracic surgery program - the men were shocked when she was selected). Shumway said motorcycle riders who didn't wear a helmet were the best heart transplant donors - young and healthy whose hearts were in good shape when they became donors.

Larry
I worked as a late night surgical tech at a trauma hospital in the mid 70s. After a multi-vehicle accident, several patients were delivered to the emergency room and some up the elevator to our surgical suite. The EMTs had been searching for a motorcyclist when his bike was located at the edge of a cornfield. Apparently after some scrutiny of the crop field, they were called back to the road. A convertible had a hole in the top and of course the person in the back had no helmut, but was determined to be the missing rider. The family gave permission for the donation of all organs .

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The Go-Betweens - Tallulah. The original 1987 release is ear piercingly bright. It is such an amazing album, some tinkering with the treble knob would be totally amazing

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Great thread Mike, you like Rush, a great Canadian Rock-and-Roll band, me too.
I still prefer Led Zeppelin though, and the Stones, and The Doors.
...And Psychedelic Rock...Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin (she can use some re-mastering), Pink Floyd.

* Only one album; impossible for me, there are just too many. ...Fleetwood Mac, CSN, CSN&Y, Cat Stevens, Black Sabbath (could use some re-mastering), AC?DC, Metallica, ...
Here ya go at $ 125.00 dollars this better sound great !
One per 10,000 customers only . .

1641244004223.png

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing