I2S cable recommendation?

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Well, based on your feedback I've a 1m Concentus coming. I never did like the Argentus in my system though I recognize the weaknesses were exaggerated by my choice of power amp at the time so I preferred the Audiolund XTreme I2S cable..... An insanely thick and inflexible cable using Duelund tinned copper. It just gave more natural voices between my Soundaware D300REF and Accurate Audio Ultimate D1000 DAC. I've an inkling that the Concentus will prove the better choice now I've the Absolute Audio SIT-A15 power amp in my sound chain (as opposed to my previous Pass Mini Aleph).
In touch with Aldwin and hope to hv the Concentus hdmi i2s from ddc and rj45 i2s from cd player

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
I have both I2S and aes/ebu digital cables running from Antipodes K50 to Tambaqui Dac.
The I2S is a Tubulus Concentus and the AES is a Nordost Valhalla 2. I can change inputs in a flash with the
Tambaqui software, so a good comparison can take place. As far as sound quality both are very very good. For the price, the Tubulus is a big winner. They are very similar in sound. Very detailed and open with a wide and deep sound stage.

MattyW

Mar 9, 2021
Yes so far for me I'd rank I2S cables as follows:

WireWorld Silver Starlight 5^2 HDMI < AVPlay HD300 pure silver I2S < Tubulous Argentus I2S < WireWorld Red Starlight 7 < Audiolund XTreme I2S < Tubulous Concentus

The Tubulus Concentus is to me very neutral with a wide and deep sound stage and even handed detail and dynamics across the entire spectrum.
The Audiolund XTreme is a trade off losing overall fine detail and pushing the midrange a little forward making voices and instruments incredibly real and natural sounding. It's better in this respect than anything else I've run however the overall presentation of the Concentus is close enough in this respect that it's even handed nature means it pulls ahead overall.
The Red Starlight 7 has a pleasant midrange and good detail. Lacks the magic of the top 2x choices
Argentus - I prefer the midrange of the Red Starlight 7 though the Argentus accentuates detail and soundstage though I felt it lacked soundstage depth which pushed it back for me. It's basically 80% of a Concentus. Given the Audiolund XTreme is cheaper I don't believe it's worthwhile buying this cable a all. Just go straight for either the Audiolund XTreme or the Concentus. If incredible lifelike presentation is your thing go for the XTreme, though if incredible resolution, imaging and even handed presentation (read balanced) is your thing spend the extra for a Concentus.
HD300 - A bit lean sounding even after burn in. Nice detail though I just couldn't get into the presentation.
5^2 - Tried this after reading others raving about it online though my impression was yuck.... Seemed thin and artificial. Not for me at all.

I've a sneaking suspicion that the Pink Faun might better the Concentus as I believe it also uses tinned copper just as the Audiolund cable does. That said the asking price is just a bit too rich for me. The Concentus is end of the road for me.

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
According to Aldwin, I should receive my order of Concentus hdmi i2s to replace my faithful Argentus hdmi i2s for my ddc to dac and Concentus rj45 i2s for my cdp to dac in 3-4 weeks' time .. finger crossed but reported improved midrange without any loss in transparency is too tempting for digital playback. Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: justubes

Lobster

Feb 4, 2021
I have both I2S and aes/ebu digital cables running from Antipodes K50 to Tambaqui Dac.
The I2S is a Tubulus Concentus and the AES is a Nordost Valhalla 2. I can change inputs in a flash with the
Tambaqui software, so a good comparison can take place. As far as sound quality both are very very good. For the price, the Tubulus is a big winner. They are very similar in sound. Very detailed and open with a wide and deep sound stage.
I have a Tambaqui DAC and am considering the K50. Currently I'm using a Roon Nucleus connect to the Tambaqui over ethernet. What were you using before and could you describe the improvements?

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Hi Robert,
I was using a Small Green Computer I7 with LPS over my network with modded Buffalo switches (2) powered by Keces P3. The switches were connected via fiber to each other. I was using a Synology Nas.
I also added a Shunyata stack of Triton V3 and Typhon QRT So the noise floor dropped a ton. I was using Roon server and player. When I got the K50, I used the network, then usb, then got Nordost Valhalla 2 aes and then the Tubulus Concentus I2S. I added a SSD to the K50 and copied all my files from the Synology to the SSD. I now use Roon server and Squeeze player.
At each change there was an improvement in noise, soundstage depth, clarity, and ease of use. You cannot go wrong with the K50! It is three units in one. Server, player and reclocker!

Reactions: Lobster

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
Hi @JGlacken .
Have you tried Concentus Aes vs Valhalla 2 yet? Which Aes cables you tried before buying Valhalla 2? Thanks.
Kevin

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Hi Kevin,
we tried AQ Diamond, MIT, Clarus. MIT was second.

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
MA-X

Reactions: gentcan

Adco

Feb 1, 2021
I have been through a few HDMI for i2s
Originally used between a Audiobyte D-D converter and their Dragon Dac in my office system and now between my Auralic Aries G2.1 and Auralic Vega G2.1 dac .
Wireword platinum was pretty good until I got the Nordost Hiemdal and then landed on the AudioQuest Dragon

the Dragon by and large represented the only real tangible albeit incremental increase in sonics . All in the spacial ques of the music . Very little if anything changed in terms of tonal nuance or life like qualities of the instruments . The gains were in soundstage type of perceptions . I wouldn’t know how else to describe it

the disclaimer here is that strictly speaking the L-Link (HDMI) between units is not just (or maybe at all) i2s. Auralic uses it also as a two way communication between connected units. I would suppose that whatever AudioQuest is doing with the Dragon it might have something to do with this…

further disclaimer. Not really an Audiiquest fanboy in general terms , but the Dragon truly is an exceptional cable in its own rights

leeuwenk

Nov 20, 2022
Yes so far for me I'd rank I2S cables as follows:

WireWorld Silver Starlight 5^2 HDMI < AVPlay HD300 pure silver I2S < Tubulous Argentus I2S < WireWorld Red Starlight 7 < Audiolund XTreme I2S < Tubulous Concentus

The Tubulus Concentus is to me very neutral with a wide and deep sound stage and even handed detail and dynamics across the entire spectrum.
The Audiolund XTreme is a trade off losing overall fine detail and pushing the midrange a little forward making voices and instruments incredibly real and natural sounding. It's better in this respect than anything else I've run however the overall presentation of the Concentus is close enough in this respect that it's even handed nature means it pulls ahead overall.
The Red Starlight 7 has a pleasant midrange and good detail. Lacks the magic of the top 2x choices
Argentus - I prefer the midrange of the Red Starlight 7 though the Argentus accentuates detail and soundstage though I felt it lacked soundstage depth which pushed it back for me. It's basically 80% of a Concentus. Given the Audiolund XTreme is cheaper I don't believe it's worthwhile buying this cable a all. Just go straight for either the Audiolund XTreme or the Concentus. If incredible lifelike presentation is your thing go for the XTreme, though if incredible resolution, imaging and even handed presentation (read balanced) is your thing spend the extra for a Concentus.
HD300 - A bit lean sounding even after burn in. Nice detail though I just couldn't get into the presentation.
5^2 - Tried this after reading others raving about it online though my impression was yuck.... Seemed thin and artificial. Not for me at all.

I've a sneaking suspicion that the Pink Faun might better the Concentus as I believe it also uses tinned copper just as the Audiolund cable does. That said the asking price is just a bit too rich for me. The Concentus is end of the road for me.
Leeuwenk: I have just (November 2022) tested three I2S cables: Audioquest Thunderbird, Tubulus Concentus and Pink Faun (https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/pink-...mination-rj45/668-i2s_cable_length-100_cm_750). I have done the test by comparing three records ( Best of Diane Krall ; The Guitar Trio, and Lou Reed transformer and a couple of classical records (VP Aries with benz micro gullwing via EAR phono) with the same CDs (PS Audio PerfectWave disc transport and Pink Faun DAC 3.32). The records always sounded better. However, the I2S cable makes a lot of difference! The Audioquest does not provide a significant deep soundstage at all. It sounds very lean. I do not recommend this cable at all. The Concentus and Pink Faun are the much better cables for audio. The concentus is very neutral, natural sounding and has a much better presentation than the Thunderbird. The Concentus is a great product. The Pink Faun is more laid back compared to the Concentus, it has more "attack" ( better dynamics) and it has better bass than the Concentus. Overall the Pink Faun was the more "analogue" sounding cable, resembling the sound via my records. I have decided to keep it. I understand that my preference may depend on my system. I recommend to try both the Concentus and the Pink Faun on your systems and do your own evaluation. Practically the Concentus can be ordered at 75 cm and is less bulky than the Pink Faun which length can be ordered at 1 m or more. All in all, the I2S of Pink Faun has brought me closer to the use of my CDs again.

Last edited:

Chris1967

Sep 16, 2022
Hi,

I am also looking for an i2s hdmi cable, to connect my custom diy streamer to my Rockna Wavedream dac.

At the moment i am using the Ricable Supreme Mk2, just to be able to use the I2s and i didn't want to use the cheap ones i have for the tv/tv boxes/blue ray etc.

I actually had quick listen to the Pink Faun at a friend's house and compared it with the Ricable and i found the difference astonishing, regarding the width and depth of stage with the Pink Faun in comparison to the Ricable.

I can't recollect any other difference except this maybe a little cleaner and precise.

Now you are mentioning that the Tubulus Concentus in comparison to the Pink Faun has "less" bass or what is the meaning of "better bass"?

Is the difference in dynamics substantial, as in quantity, or quality? Sometimes the term analog is misleading in portraying negative traits of analog sound like "slow bass" or uncontrolled bass" which is sometimes more tuneful than fast and precise.

Please clarify.

Thank you.

PS, I also don't like Audioquest cables, although someone i trust said the Vodka is quite good.

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi,

I am also looking for an i2s hdmi cable, to connect my custom diy streamer to my Rockna Wavedream dac.

At the moment i am using the Ricable Supreme Mk2, just to be able to use the I2s and i didn't want to use the cheap ones i have for the tv/tv boxes/blue ray etc.

I actually had quick listen to the Pink Faun at a friend's house and compared it with the Ricable and i found the difference astonishing, regarding the width and depth of stage with the Pink Faun in comparison to the Ricable.

I can't recollect any other difference except this maybe a little cleaner and precise.

Now you are mentioning that the Tubulus Concentus in comparison to the Pink Faun has "less" bass or what is the meaning of "better bass"?

Is the difference in dynamics substantial, as in quantity, or quality? Sometimes the term analog is misleading in portraying negative traits of analog sound like "slow bass" or uncontrolled bass" which is sometimes more tuneful than fast and precise.

Please clarify.

Thank you.

PS, I also don't like Audioquest cables, although someone i trust said the Vodka is quite good.
In the words from Mark of mega $ Antipodes Oladra who used to produced and sell cables, Vodka is excellent without paying stxxxx $.

Yes, I am using Concentus i2s hdmi and i2s RJ45 cables after changing from Argentus to squeeze out just a little bit since no longer planning to upgrade any components .. without paying stxxxx $ and nitpicking further.

Cheers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing