I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What does that mean, Keith?
I've looked at the Zu website and it doesn't say anything about the whizzers not working correctly.

Straight on is a no go. I've settled on less toe in to before, otherwise treble energy drops off.

Hey, they're not Wilsons LOL.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christian, are you not finding the expanse of glass behind the Wilsons, and system tucked to one half of the room ie w one side wall acting as boundary on Right , but Left Wilson in free space, an acoustic issue?

I cetainly found my old space w similarities to yr layout to have been insurmountablely challenging, borne out by my new room w no glass and equal distances to side walls as a total blessing in comparison.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, are you not finding the expanse of glass behind the Wilsons, and system tucked to one half of the room ie w one side wall acting as boundary on Right , but Left Wilson in free space, an acoustic issue?

I cetainly found my old space w similarities to yr layout to have been insurmountablely challenging, borne out by my new room w no glass and equal distances to side walls as a total blessing in comparison.

No...not at all. The room is filled with glorious sound, balanced in both channels. The head vice is gone. Dead center seat still sounds great.

Reactions: Folsom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No...not at all. The room is filled with glorious sound, balanced in both channels. The head vice is gone. Dead center seat still sounds great.

I know that XLFs are different from X2, but I never had to use a head vice in my room, even with a small toe in my speakers. I dislike listening a room where great abrupt sound changes happen when we move in the room.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I know that XLFs are different from X2, but I never had to use a head vice in my room, even with a small toe in my speakers. I dislike listening a room where great abrupt sound changes happen when we move in the room.

Vice ahem Vise (lol) is a figure of speech. “Toed In” to Wilson spec....the good sound zone is much smaller and in my new room... completely unlistenable when toed.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: rockitman

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
There’s a lot of information in those grooves I’m constantly surprised how good and natural basic LPs can sound, glad you’re enjoying everything :)!

david
That leather mat of yours is the first mat i have ever liked, i have tried cork, vinyl, acrylic and rubber mats and never liked the sound. Bareback on steel or lead platter has been my previous preference, but this mat has no sound of its own, just a good coupling to the record. Thank you again !

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
That leather mat of yours is the first mat i have ever liked, i have tried cork, vinyl, acrylic and rubber mats and never liked the sound. Bareback on steel or lead platter has been my previous preference, but this mat has no sound of its own, just a good coupling to the record. Thank you again !
At first with the AS I also like the bareback better. It sounded a little more detail and raw but a bit hard. Then David changed the top platter with somekind of concave composite metals for me. I am using this with the leather mat and I get the same sound as when bareback but without hardness. I also have a thinner soft leather mat but It is not practical. Every time I picked up the vinyl from the platter, the thin mat adhired to the vinyl and came off. So I dont use it.

Tang

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
At first with the AS I also like the bareback better. It sounded a little more detail and raw but a bit hard. Then David changed the top platter with somekind of concave composite metals for me. I am using this with the leather mat and I get the same sound as when bareback but without hardness. I also have a thinner soft leather mat but It is not practical. Every time I picked up the vinyl from the platter, the thin mat adhired to the vinyl and came off. So I dont use it.

Tang
That is what my thin mat is doing on newer records, they seem to produce more
static electricity. Most older records don’t produce much, must have something
to do with the vinyl additives. The fix is easy, a small ring of double adhesive tape close to the center tap, i just haven’t gotten around to it yet. ;)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Over the years I tried a lot of different mats too but always came back to leather, everything matters. The piece of hide, the type of dye and thickness of the mat all have a direct influence on the sound, I tried to find the most balaced and neutral mat I could, glad you like it!

david

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Khun Tang, just to let you know, bareback can mean something else LOL

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Khun Tang, just to let you know, bareback can mean something else LOL
Shush be quiet ! We always pretend it’s a language thing, we get away with
a lot without the RON software stopping us ! Tang understands everything ;)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahahahaha!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
No..nooooo. I am not getting into your trap extending joke on this Khun Jack. You know who is the number one suspect on Ron's watch list for censorship?

MOI !!! :eek:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
No..nooooo. I am not getting into your trap extending joke on this Khun Jack. You know who is the number one suspect on Ron's watch list for censorship?

MOI !!! :eek:
MOI AUSSi !!!:rolleyes:

Reactions: christoph

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Which leather mat are you guys referring to? Is it still available? I'm in need of a mat. Thanks.
Unless Santa is in a good mood you have to buy a AS2000 turntable to get
it.;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing