I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Would you please stop showing those ED1.

Tang

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Would you please stop showing those ED1.

Tang

I also compared my ED1 espana against my Ed2 version. Very hard if not impossible to tell apart. Someone earlier mentioned ed2 inferior. Not true. What is true...the London versions are inferior despite sporting the same matrix numbers as the Decca counterparts.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I also compared my ED1 espana against my Ed2 version. Very hard if not impossible to tell apart. Someone earlier mentioned ed2 inferior. Not true. What is true...the London versions are inferior despite sporting the same matrix numbers as the Decca counterparts.

That has more to do with which got pressed first. London is identical but could have been pressed on more used plates. People that worked at Decca/London have killed that myth that they are different masters.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That has more to do with which got pressed first. London is identical but could have been pressed on more used plates. People that worked at Decca/London have killed that myth that they are different masters.

I have all of the London counterparts to the great Decca's. They aren't even close in sound quality...despite what Fremer has said in the past. He doesn't even have a respectable ED1 Decca collection to compare the London's against.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I get it, I am just saying they are the same mastering usually. They could be 100,000 pressings apart. You can find Decca's that were pressed late and suck, too. I have heard some Londons that sound great, even have a few. But I have heard plenty that went to the thrift store donation, too.

This is like Jacksonville pressings of Rumors. If you have sub F10 they usually sound real nice. If you have +F40 they sound like different masterings but are in fact the same.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I get it, I am just saying they are the same mastering usually. They could be 100,000 pressings apart. You can find Decca's that were pressed late and suck, too. I have heard some Londons that sound great, even have a few. But I have heard plenty that went to the thrift store donation, too.

This is like Jacksonville pressings of Rumors. If you have sub F10 they usually sound real nice. If you have +F40 they sound like different masterings but are in fact the same.

Both astrotoy and zerostargeneral will know in depth about this

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have all of the London counterparts to the great Decca's. They aren't even close in sound quality...despite what Fremer has said in the past. He doesn't even have a respectable ED1 Decca collection to compare the London's against.

+1

Just because Fremer says it, doesn't make it gospel. I have bought several of his highly recommended titles in the past, most have been marginal at best. Recently acquired his highly touted Vanessa Fernandez When the Levee Breaks....nothing special at all...and unfortunately IF you are an old LZ fan ( like I am) and have any idea what the musical message is behind these songs, you would realize that Vanessa Fernandez simply cannot pull it off. Not surprising to me, as a fellow musician, because RP's voice is basically 'one of a kind'...but please...what were they thinking!! As to the SQ of this recording...Fremer states it's an 11...what on a scale that goes up to 20!:eek: LOL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Vanessa Fernandez...i loled when I heard that LP

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Interestingly, the only reason I bought it, was that I had heard part of one track on Philip O'Hanlon's excellent tape demo ( If I remember, he had a tape master of it) and liked it. Too bad the whole album and the LP is so very marginal.
It wasn't a smart move on my behalf...

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas

I went to a local dealer's and asked him to play what he thought was his best sounding LP. He put this one on. I imagine he knows it isn't his best, but he obviously thought highly of it.

After listening to a couple songs, I could not for the life of me, understand why it is thought of in such high regard, as it relates to sound quality. Maybe it would sound much better in my own system, I don't know.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I went to a local dealer's and asked him to play what he thought was his best sounding LP. He put this one on. I imagine he knows it isn't his best, but he obviously thought highly of it.

After listening to a couple songs, I could not for the life of me, understand why it is thought of in such high regard, as it relates to sound quality. Maybe it would sound much better in my own system, I don't know.

Not just sound quality, but also content. Vanessa's voice is no where near powerful enough to pull off these pieces, IMO.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's the way Plant feels (he realizes his range can't do them justice anymore) these days and why there will not be a reunion tour.

And he is right. I would rather hear them with a cover band singer now.

Also, that day I went to an old TT manufacturer/dealer's place. He told me how his design is the only right design, and told me he has Led Zep's orginal LPs. I asked him to play it. The drumming seemed all off - I noticed that before I noticed Plant's voice. I asked this guy what is he playing. He showed me the cover. It was Celebration Day. FFS, some guys are clueless as to what Led Zep's original is. The point is..Jason might be good, but he is not at Led Zep level.

Back in the 90s when Plant and Page got together, they produced great music with the No Quarter album, because they adjusted the music for his vocals. They did not try to play it like the 70s Zep. And the drummer they had then, Michael Lee, though no Bonham, was really good. Plant wanted him for drummer while Jimmy wanted Jason (think it was just because he was John's son). Unfortunately, Michael Lee died too.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
And he is right. I would rather hear them with a cover band singer now.

Also, that day I went to an old TT manufacturer/dealer's place. He told me how his design is the only right design, and told me he has Led Zep's orginal LPs. I asked him to play it. The drumming seemed all off - I noticed that before I noticed Plant's voice. I asked this guy what is he playing. He showed me the cover. It was Celebration Day. FFS, some guys are clueless as to what Led Zep's original is. The point is..Jason might be good, but he is not at Led Zep level.

Back in the 90s when Plant and Page got together, they produced great music with the No Quarter album, because they adjusted the music for his vocals. They did not try to play it like the 70s Zep. And the drummer they had then, Michael Lee, though no Bonham, was really good. Plant wanted him for drummer while Jimmy wanted Jason (think it was just because he was John's son). Unfortunately, Michael Lee died too.

Yes...I saw and recorded Page and Plant in 1994 and 1995 with the touring city's symphonic orchestra. Great shows !

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Thumbs up Christian for using Decca with 3012R! Some years ago I was considering modern Decca Jubilee for my 3012R and it seemed this combo was terra incognita. The main reservation I was hearing from various long-term Decca users is that it kicks back a lot of energy to the arm and that might not pair well with the "loose" SME knife bearings. But in reality nobody tried. I did, damping the arm slightly with FD-200. The effect was very very good, with vivid, direct sound - a signature of Decca's as I was told. The arm cart resonances were well located at some 8Hz, no problem here either. I have finally chosen another path and returned the Jubilee but that was a very nice experience, also showing the universality of 3012R, which has been advocated many times here.

Cheers,

Last of my Decca carts arrived today...H4E. I’m amazed how good these vintage un-cantilevered carts sound. Right now these carts best all my modern carts on my Decca ED1 SXL series. This cart has the same alignment as my Mark2 making switchover very fast. This cart cost me $700 at auction ! Oh....new record for the collection ED1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Tang,

Do you use any isolation transformer or balance powered device or power regenerator or other “power conditioner” type of device?

If so, did David insist on disconnecting it?

Dear Christian,

When David visited you did he insist on disconnecting your PS Audio regenerators and your Torus power device?

Thank you, gentlemen.

Ron

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Dear Tang,

Dear Christian,

When David visited you did he insist on disconnecting your PS Audio regenerators and your Torus power device?

Thank you, gentlemen.

Ron

No...my regenerators (source) and Torus isolation trannies (amps) remained in place. I don’t have enough outlets to plug in my system source components w/o the two P5’s. They are my ac distribution boxes.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

Do you use any isolation transformer or balance powered device or power regenerator or other “power conditioner” type of device?

If so, did David insist on disconnecting it?

Dear Christian,

Thank you, gentlemen.

Ron

Dear Ron,

I had Torus and all kind of power conditioners before. For the past year I settled with just Siltech Tripple Crown power cords and their distributor without filter going direct to the wall.

Yes David took out all my Siltech and replaced them with Ching Cheng cheap Chinese cords. Swoosh! Out my $100,000 investment.
I will not answer you any more question.

Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing