I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Christian, you can always sneak the Entreq back in once Dave has left.
You can even tell us that here, and we won’t breathe a word to him, honest

I’d pay good money to see Mike and David struggle over those Troy boxes.

For lack of a better expression...it over-damps the sound. The music is deader, less open and airy. I can't comment yet on those specifics with the bass...sadly it appears active AVI units are not a good match for this turntable. I experienced the same thing previously with my Clearaudio Master Innovation but was in denial. Perhaps some un-damped resonance is good.

Just catching up, nice turntable! :)

I think what you said in bold is key, it almost has to be the case... I've been thinking about that lately, unless excessive damping actually truncates some of the low-level information that is on the recording then the opposite is happening. Which means adding resonance is extremely important to our perception of good sound. It also goes a long way toward explaining the multitude of various footer designs and their seemingly random results their creators struggle to explain. And lots of other things too...

PLus not many parallel walls , those irregular angled ceilings /walls break the sound waves more naturally , the walls are quite irregular ,kinda natural diffussors , should be an enourmous step up from the dungeon lol .
I myself am quite possibly moving to brussels for a new job soon , got my eyes on a 1900 s appartment with high ceilings ;)

My room has ~13 ft ceilings and I do think higher ceilings make for a better room.

30 ft though, wow!... I think it'll be awesome. Maybe some different considerations vs a small room as reflections will be arriving much later. Decay times may need to be reduced vs how the room looks in the pic, but that's just a guess.

Christian, What is the length and the width of that main room? I think Gryphon Kodos or VSA Ultra 11s would do very well in a space that large. :eek:

Christian, The turntable and motor drive don't look like they take up a lot of space. Do you think they would fit on a TS-140 size table top (approximately 19.5" X 23.5")?

Thanks Ron. I’m so happy I brought David up to see the space and recommend against the basement cave.

The space if fabulous - can we anticipate you will sometime add a pair of Thor's Hammer subwoofers?

Christian, The turntable and motor drive don't look like they take up a lot of space. Do you think they would fit on a TS-140 size table top (approximately 19.5" X 23.5")?

You need 28” min on the long side for the AS2000. The TS140 is 24”. Also, I am not sure a TS140 can support 500 lbs...more over, why would you want to kill the sound of AS2000 with active isolation after my negative experience with active on this table ?

Very well said Peter. Thanks. My new room has been inspected by David and it passed with flying colors. It will now be in this room with 30' ceiling. Here is a picture from the real estate listing. The room is currently empty. This is the room David said I MUST use....:D No more basement dungeon with 9' ceilings.

Christian,

That looks like an eggchair by Arne Jacobsen, if I am not mistaken. It is a limited leather edition. Make sure they throw in the chair in your house buy. You can sell to me if you don’t want it :cool:.

Kind regards,
Tang

You need 28” min on the long side for the AS2000. The TS140 is 24”. Also, I am not sure a TS140 can support 500 lbs...more over, why would you want to kill the sound of AS2000 with active isolation after my negative experience with active on this table ?

Thank you. David also recommended a 27" X 30" platform.

No -- you are correct. I never planned to buy any isolation platform for the AS. I planned on taking David's advice to start with. Your experience confirmed that decision.

But I still will be ordering two or three custom Herzan stands with TS-140 sized tops for other components. (I am planning to order a TS-140 device only for the Io control unit.)

The space if fabulous - can we anticipate you will sometime add a pair of Thor's Hammer subwoofers?

As long as we are imagining spending Christian's money shouldn't we aim higher and propose an extravagant dynamic driver speaker expressly designed for so extravagant a listening room? :eek:

Christian likes, I think, among other things, big dynamics. The Kodos are a perfect answer. So are the VSA Ultra 11s. And I am sure MikeL would nominate the EA MM7s.

Let me chip in
Cessaro Omega
Apogee Full Range

As long as we are imagining spending Christian's money shouldn't we aim higher and propose an extravagant dynamic driver speaker expressly designed for so extravagant a listening room? :eek:

Christian likes, I think, among other things, big dynamics. The Kodos are a perfect answer. So are the VSA Ultra 11s. And I am sure MikeL would nominate the EA MM7s.

Nahh..he is a Wilson fan...and with more than enough space to let the WAMM MC sing :) ....only one choice..

BUT....he might contemplate the Tesseract...

I nominate : Zellaton Statement with Magico Q-18 Subwoofers
Göbel High End Divin Speakers

I can make a custom HPL design 2 seperate towers :D
But more seriously im not sure the X 2 is big enough for that large room
I would personally first try and have some large wilson subs at hand I think the largest they have now is thors hammer , but contacting wilson is a good idea anyway , because im sure they have a lot of expirience with their products in large spaces.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing