How important is the Ia measurement?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
I've seen some tubes up for sale that have a low Ia (presumably anode current) result in testing. The spec is 13+-3mA and the tube measures 8mA. How big a deal is this and what impact will it have?

Thanks

Last edited:

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
It just means the cathode is not conducting as much. Ia is relative to the plate resistance is higher because the cathode to plate current is low. Which effects the transconductance & gain.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I've seen some tubes up for sale that have a low Ia (presumably anode current) result in testing. The spec is 13+-3mA and the tube measures 8mA. How big a deal is this and what impact will it have?

Thanks
To a degree it depends on the type of tubes you are talking about and the job that they are doing , for output tubes that measurement is beginning to head towards a little tired , power rectification / regulation perhaps arguably a little less of a concern depending on the quality of rest of the power supply , however for my part I would look for stronger measuring examples, if not even NOS .

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Thanks
If the tube is specified as 13mA, this corresponds to 100% emission, new as if from the factory. These values result from the test report of the tube measuring device. which is operated at a certain voltage to test the tubes. Please note that different manufacturers of testing devices may produce different values. The device is only good the way the person uses it. If the tube is only 8mA, it doesn't mean it isn't working correctly. The gain factor may be lower and the stated lifespan may be shortened.

P.S
If nos tubes have been unused for a long time, it is possible that the tube will recover and show better values after a few hours of operation. She first has to be brought out of hibernation again;)

Reactions: Argonaut

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Thx all for the replies. If theyre cheap I might risk it then

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing