How close are you to the finish line

How close are you to the finish line

• < 50% - Still have long ways to go

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • 50% - I can live with what I have, but could/want to go higher

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • 60% - Individual timbres are highly accurate, in the vast majority of the spectrum

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • 70% - Small ensembles are reallistically reproduced (sans percussion)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • 75% - Now persussion is also reallistically reproduced

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 80% - I can reallistically reproduce a grand piano

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 85% - Piano, ensembles, chamber orchestras, voices, strings, drums are all reallistic

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 90% - Everything except scale is reallistically reproduced

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • 95% - Scale and overall level of reproduction is shockingly life-like with just about anything

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 100% - I can accurately reproduce any musical performance

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
As soon as this thread appeared I knew it would bring out the best in all of us :)

the best in us.JPG

I don't really understand the question. Most responses are an attempt to explain how close their systems sound to the real thing. But the original question, at least to me, seems to be asking how satisfied are we with our systems and how close are we to having our final system with no further changes. Is "The Finish Line" live music or our last/final system?

How can Peter Breuninger write that his "systems all end up at 100%"? This makes no sense regardless of how the original question is interpreted. If his system sounds exactly like live music or if his system is his last and final system, why does he then have other systems? I don't get that.

I must have a long way to go. Since I have tubes, which some feel are obsolete, I have to replace them. Since I am way into analog, which some here feel is a dead technology, I have to buy into digital. So 50% I guess. Can I go lower?

Bruce in PA

Is "The Finish Line" live music or our last/final system?

It's Accurately Reproducing Any Musical Performance, aka "100%" of the poll's options; I don't think anyone cares if you or I or anyone else have reached their final system.

It's Accurately Reproducing Any Musical Performance, aka "100%" of the poll's options; I don't think anyone cares if you or I or anyone else have reached their final system.

My systems do do this... Accurately Reproducing Any Musical Performance. They do not favor small combo jazz, solo piano, electronica, or symphonic. That's the way I read the pole. If I owned or reviewed Quads, I would not tick the 100% box:)

My systems do do this... Accurately Reproducing Any Musical Performance. They do not favor small combo jazz, solo piano, electronica, or symphonic. That's the way I read the pole. If I owned or reviewed Quads, I would not tick the 100% box:)

I hear you. I take this as a claim that your systems can reproduce A Symphony Of A Thousand with the scale and glory of a performance like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYM54vhLYTU as if you were there; or the finale of his 2nd

Do they reproduce Bernstein facial sweating at the end (minute 10) of the Shostakovitch Symphony No. 5? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJFXqYEYd8

I thought about including the Bosendorfer Imperial Grand, but then realized there are very few recordings with it for anyone to know what it sounds like (I, personally, only have the Telarc/Chopin).

Ah yes, early digital (1983, I think).

Ah yes, early digital (1983, I think).

Ivan Moravec on Connoisseur Society produced by Alan Silver and recorded by David Jones (he of the Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby fame) circa mid'60s. Puts any and all digital piano recordings to shame.

Much of the reason don't hear many recordings with the Big B is that they're ard to get. Even when I saw Moravec live twenty years ago, he had to go to great lengths to come up with a Bosendorfer. 28 Hz IIRC. Often they're owned by a patron and lent to the musician for a performance.

I don't understand how any system can get past 60% based on the order given. Take any instrument--say in this case a sax or even something as "simple" as a guitar--and compare the live and recorded sound. Epic fail on every system that I've heard.

+3 (if you count Frantz).

I don't understand how any system can get past 60% based on the order given. Take any instrument--say in this case a sax or even something as "simple" as a guitar--and compare the live and recorded sound. Epic fail on every system that I've heard.

That pops plenty of bubbles around here.

Or we have a bunch of liers in this thread or most people didn't read the first post correctly. :D

Out of a total of 24 voters (so far) only one person voted correctly in the right category (50%).

* Make that 2 now (out of 25 voters).

Or we have a bunch of liers in this thread or most people didn't read the first post correctly. :D

Out of a total of 24 voters (so far) only one person voted correctly in the right category (50%).

* Make that 2 now (out of 25 voters).

Or alternatively, most audiophiles don't go to live concerts (of unamplified music) and simply deceive themselves into thinking that the reference systems that they own are the real thing -- 'because it sounds so good' and because it compares favorably with other reference systems they have heard.

By the way, I didn't vote, the categories didn't satisfy me.

Or alternatively, most audiophiles don't go to live concerts (of unamplified music) and simply deceive themselves into thinking that the reference systems that they own are the real thing -- 'because it sounds so good' and because it compares favorably with other reference systems they have heard.

I did not vote either; until just right now (an hour ago, exactly). ...But I'm weak; I'm only human. :b

Al, that reminds me of the old Robert Klein line, "what's new is not true and what true is not new. Therefore, C."

Audiophiles not attending live musical events has been bemoaned since the dawn of audio. Edgar Villchur in his book Reproduction of Sound (late '50s or early '60s?) complained about the exact same thing! :(

Or simply they know what are the real objectives of sound reproduction, know the physical limitations of stereo reproduction, and accordingly they tried to adapt their answers to what they considered the intentions of the original poster. Surely I understand and respect the position of those not voting and criticizing the scoring.

I don't attend many live concerts anymore, other than a few local Jazz/Blues festivals or the odd free music in the park sessions here. I've also been to Ed Pong's Poolside series of Classical music and hope to attend a few more. But I've attended enough in my lifetime to know that live is much superior and can't be duplicated no matter how good the electronics. However, that's ok with me as I'm not looking for that when I sit and listen. I just want to be involved with the music and put any comparison out of my mind, as to me, it serves no real purpose and sets you up for disappointments....or worse, reaching for your chequebook in the hope the next piece of gear gets you closer. It's a viscious never-ending circle. .

I voted 50% because in part I've compared my system to the fine systems of you all, and I also know what is truly missing from the sound I want (but not compared to live). My level of satisfaction is a bit higher though, despite the inadequacies I know I live with. I tend not to sweat too much about it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing