History and Types of Loudspeakers

I remember when I bought my pair of Dahlquist DQ-10 in the seventies I was at first very impressed with the spaciousness of the sound but after some time the high end became overbearing. I think I could attribute this to the Peerless tweeter and the Motorola super tweeter. I was just about to sell the speakers when I tried replacing these two drivers with the newly released Sequerra HF-1 ribbon tweeter. This replacement especially but also including other later mods ( Dynaudio midrange dome, revised filter design etc.) transformed the DQ-10 to the best speaker of all times, at least to my ears. The system has now a huge and expansive sound field (both width and depth), is very dynamic, instruments and voices are projected at the proper height and with pinpoint accuracy. Voices sound natural and transparancy rivals most electrostatic systems.

In the last 35 years I've owned most of the speakers on the "The 12 Most Significant Loudspeakers of All Time" list on this site. The only pair I've kept are the DQ-10's.

Hi TK,

When I had the DQ10, my first "hi end" speaker, powered by my Tandberg receiver, I also purchased the HF-1 ribbon tweeter.

It transformed a very good speaker into an exceptional speaker, despite the "cyclops" aesthetic.

From there, I purchased the Acoustat 1+1's, various Martin Logans, and now the MBL 116's.

Wonderful to hear that you are still enjoying a "classic" transducer. I have fond memories of this speaker.

GG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing