Hint of new Magico products

Agreed. The frequency of the "new and improved" seems to me to be a bit over the top.

If I had dropped major change on a recent model that now appears to be "outdated" from a tech perspective, I think I'd be a bit upset.

I think it's great that Magico is constantly pushing their technology forward, but does a Magico customer ever feel like they've gotten the full measure of Magico's expertise for more than a couple of months? Seems like the new "best" is always just around the corner.

I'm not so sure it's any different from, say, Wilson in that respect and I think it's been longer than you think. Wilson released the Sasha in May 2009 and replaced it 5 years later in June 2014. Magico released the Q5 in Dec 2009 and this new M Project is released 5 years later in 2014. I'm using the Q5 because the M Project is certainly not a replacement (or better than) the Q7. The S series is more of a budget line and can't really be compared.

5 years doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

The main evolutions of Magico from an outsider's perspective (i have not investigated them deeply for myself but hear V2, V3, Q1, 3, 5)...are from their original birchply (pinnacle was the M5)...to the Q series (pinnacle Q7)...which was an evolution towards an 'absolutism' of sound precision, dynamic capability without stress and quiet/lownoise floor. I think those were logical evolutions and the timing of the changover i thought coincided more with Magico's financial ability to finally buy the necessary machining equipment to develop and build the Q series aluminum framework inhouse.

I perceive the introduction of the S series was not about timing the next evolution...but in fact more about just coming out with a lower pricepoint line.

However, i think the S series happened to catch the market by surprise because it addressed a criticism leveled at the Q series (even by more than a few of their own dealers) which is that it was designed to such low tolerances that it became relentlessly unforgiving and made sub-optimal setups or recordings difficult to listen to in comparison with other SOTA systems. I have never heard the Q7...but it was this speaker in particular where i heard this criticism most often from dealers (3 in fact).

Given this observation having come out so often from those who love the S and those who stand by the Q...i have to imagine if i were manufacturing...i would definitely come to market sooner if i thought my new M series could combine both...and satisfy the Q fans who love its unrelenting dedication to exactitude...and those who tonal leanings are to the S series which seems entirely accurate and yet somehow a bit more fulsome.

I think it's great that Magico is constantly pushing their technology forward, but does a Magico customer ever feel like they've gotten the full measure of Magico's expertise for more than a couple of months? Seems like the new "best" is always just around the corner.

Interesting comment, Frank. I see your point and agree that the new "best" is always just around the corner. This is the technology business and many consider Magico to be at the bleeding edge of speaker development. I'm sure that Magico customers are well aware that this latest release has some better technology than their current speaker, but I am not sure it matters that much to them. The M Project is FAR more expensive than all of the Magico speakers except the Q7 and the Ultimate 3. And once some of this technology trickles down into smaller designs, the Q5, Q3 and Q1 will have been out for quite some time. Some owners will upgrade, and those used Q series speakers will still represent a fantastic value for new owners, just like the Mini and V series do now.

Perhaps your point when considering the Q7 and M Project is analogous to the Porsche 911 and Caymen. The Cayman was less expensive and outperformed the 911 in some areas. Some even think the Cayman is better looking, but people still love the Q7 and 911. Or for the owner of a Q5, the M Project offers better performance for more money - just like the Porsche 918 offers better technology and performance than the GT3. Technology marches forward. Designers don't sit idyl. Speaker technology is no different, and I think Magico owners appreciate the idea that the company seems to be on a relentless pursuit toward better products.

I owned a 1971 911T Targa. It was a beautiful car and it was a blast to drive. I was well aware and appreciated that newer 911s were better, but I didn't care. Same with my Magico Mini 2. When special products come along and represent benchmarks, owners can appreciate them for what they do and what they represent. And often don't feel an urgent need to replace them with the next, new best thing.

My misunderstanding then. I saw some comments about the new tweeter and another about new drivers and thought some were going to say the M now surpasses the Q7. I don't think the Q7 has been out that long and would have to think those owners would not be happy that they paid $185,000 for a speaker that has already been surpassed in Magico's own product offering. And by a less expensive speaker. Similar to what happened with the M5 and the Q5. The M5 wasn't out that long before the Q5 was introduced as better and cheaper.

I'd like to hear what some Q7 owners think about the new M. I was almost a Q7 buyer when they were introduced but didn't want to wait the quoted 8 month lead time.

My misunderstanding then. I saw some comments about the new tweeter and another about new drivers and thought some were going to say the M now surpasses the Q7. I don't think the Q7 has been out that long and would have to think those owners would not be happy that they paid $185,000 for a speaker that has already been surpassed in Magico's own product offering. And by a less expensive speaker. Similar to what happened with the M5 and the Q5. The M5 wasn't out that long before the Q5 was introduced as better and cheaper.

I'd like to hear what some Q7 owners think about the new M. I was almost a Q7 buyer when they were introduced but didn't want to wait the quoted 8 month lead time.

Hi Frank,

Always enjoy reading your comments. Presumably still perfectly happy with the legendary Fenice? Would love to hear someday.

Hi Frank,

Always enjoy reading your comments. Presumably still perfectly happy with the legendary Fenice? Would love to hear someday.

Everything is great Lloyd. Thanks!

From the facebook page of Presence Audio Conseil (in Paris, France) where the M Project was demonstrated today.

10702132_774156202633152_7446433718040550599_n.jpg
What an experience! It was sumptuous, not to say magical!

From google so not perfect...

Listening, I had the distinct impression that this impactait the overall ventilation of the enclosure and its dynamic abilities. These new Magico seem indeed benefit from more open than previous models.
The soundstage extends quite naturally around the speakers while maintaining the silence of operation and the darkness of the background that give you the feeling of increased presence and proximity. This incarnation of music, and I always seem to be characteristic of the brand's products, but this time with more fluidity and speed.
Of course one can not draw definitive conclusions after such a brief listening in a different environment in which we live every day. Very desirable mono blocks Soulution are probably not foreign to the excellent results delivered Saturday. However, what I glimpsed during this morning spent in Presence Audio Conseil seemed simply outstanding. Indeed difficult for me to find a point of criticism except the very exclusive price of these speakers.
Alon Wolf pointed to me in the right direction to find a near perfect balance. These speakers are magic from one extreme to the other of bandwidth.
I do not make me worry for the lucky few who can afford to pay 149,000 euros to acquire a pair of M Project: they should spend a magical Christmas!...

The price now for a pair €149,000.00???

The price now for a pair €149,000.00???

That is the French price... US guys are quite lucky with a $129,000 sticker.
The same import margin applies to other american brands in France like Wilson Audio...

Current exchange rate it's a big +$50k ...wondering if the €149,000 include VAT...

I heard the M project today at Rhapsody in the Netherlands and it was astonishing!

The equipment consisted of Aurender W20 streamer, dCS Vivaldi cd+dac, TAD M600, C600 Pre, AudioQuest WEL Signature cabel

The store was packed the first half of my 4 hour visit. Its not easy to review and get the tonal quality of one certain component. You need to be acoustomed to the sound of the equipement, the acoustics and the material. But immediately I heard an exceptionally grain free top range with dynamics I have never heard before, completed with deep, dynamic and massive deep end (when called for). This was certainly much better than my Q5s.

Did I mention the looks? The mighty Ms surpasses another great looking speaker, the S.F. Aida , by far! It also looks much better live than any pictures I have seen. The carbon sides, the curved cabinet and really deep/thick front combined with the very nice feets. I was blown away! I am now really looking forward to get mine delivered:D

Last edited:
I heard the M project today at Rhapsody in the Netherlands and it was astonishing!

The equipment consisted of TAD pre/amp and Aurender streamer, not sure what cables though.

The store was packed the first half of my 4 hour visit. Its not easy to review and get the tonal quality of one certain component. You need to be acoustomed to the sound of the equipement, the acoustics and the material. But immediately I heard an exceptionally grain free top range with dynamics I have never heard before, completed with deep, dynamic and massive deep end (when called for). This was certainly much better than my Q5s.

Did I mention the looks? The mighty Ms surpasses another great looking speaker, the S.F. Aida , by far! It also looks much better live than any pictures I have seen. The carbon sides, the curved cabinet and really deep/thick front combined with the very nice feets. I was blown away! I am now really looking forward to get mine delivered:D

Thanks for the report, tand. How exciting that you got to hear it (and how great that it didn't disappoint!) It really sounds like Magico have created something very special.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing