Hint of new Magico products

Most Magico models have unique features that are special to them irrespective of price/rank. The round walls of the S series, the midrange enclosures of the S3, the monocoque of the S1. All these features, on their own, are better than similar features on the Q. Yet, overall, the Q is a better speaker. I think that it is a clever way to position products. The Cayman handles better than the 911. That does not make it a better car.

The XLF is not a new version of the Alexandria 2.2 so asking for an upgrade like that and being turned down is understandable to me.

And the M Project is not a new version of the Q7 either.

alexandre

I never claimed the M Project to be Magico's flagship model. What I am talking about is the Q7 being the flagship model and hopefully upgradeable to the latest and best technology now offered in a lower hierarchy model.

Do you realize you're asking that Magico do the same thing that Wilson DIDN'T DO with X2.2/XLF?

alexandre

Magico was criticized in a previous thread for having terrible customer service. That thread was not only closed down, it was erased and scrubbed from this site. It now seems that a new attempt to criticize Magico's product development decisions is under way. Why so much dissatisfaction? The Q7 is a great speaker and remains the company's flagship. The M-Project is a very exciting, but quite different, new speaker.

Magico has a long pattern of introducing new models with new technologies. It is their business approach and, judging from the many happy customers, it seems to be very successful.

I also see a calculated attack on Magico, for the most absurd reason too. Unfortunately WBF is becoming too Wilson-centric, and intolerance keeps coming back up...

Think about it: as a customer, don't you always want your favorite brands to give you the best they can do at each given price point? I know I do. Also, don't you think the limited edition speaker should have features that are unique to it? Otherwise, it'll only be "special" because of the quantity, like a lot of other brands do.

Also, if you're buying speakers as an investment, you're just doing it wrong.

alexandre

"New model time" is always "mixed feelings time". Having the old ones in stock is always "ouch time". It's just the way it goes I guess. When it comes to cars I like getting the last of a model right after the new one launches. Bugs have been worked out, still lots of spare parts and prices are down. I see lots of people take the same approach with loudspeakers too.

Yesterday's speaker is still as good today as it was yesterday even if its replacement might be better. Shhhh. Don't disagree with me. I'm a recovering early adopter. :D

Reactions: Protegimus
Hands up everybody who thinks the best will stay the best for longer than 2 years...you can all put down your hand because you are wrong ;-)
Magico loves your money and that is the bottom line. Fortunately, they take it by introducing great speakers.

"New model time" is always "mixed feelings time". Having the old ones in stock is always "ouch time". It's just the way it goes I guess. When it comes to cars I like getting the last of a model right after the new one launches. Bugs have been worked out, still lots of spare parts and prices are down. I see lots of people take the same approach with loudspeakers too.

Yesterday's speaker is still as good today as it was yesterday even if its replacement might be better. Shhhh. Don't disagree with me. I'm a recovering early adopter. :D

Magico dealers with M5s in stock got hosed.

I'll bet you'd be really pissed if Von Schweikert ever did that to you.

Goodwins has a pair of M5s listed on Agon for $25K, a great return on a $89K speaker.

Another dealer has a pair of Q5s listed for $33,995., another great resale value.

Wonder if Magico ships their speakers to their dealers with a tube of Vasiline.;-)

don't understand the "Vaseline concern" in the case of M-project. Before its launch, there was a speaker for 69k (Q5) and one for 189k (Q7). At its price point, the M-project fills nicely a gap between both, in a form factor more elegant than both Q. For me it sounds like sound marketing and sound product positioning.

Goodwins has a pair of M5s listed on Agon for $25K, a great return on a $89K speaker.

Another dealer has a pair of Q5s listed for $33,995., another great resale value.

Wonder if Magico ships their speakers to their dealers with a tube of Vasiline.;-)

I would if I wasn't given a heads up. Yeah, I would be pissed. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't.

M Project is a limited edition speakers,only 50 pairs..it does not compete with Q7,even if it sounds better then Q7..its still limited to 50 pairs...To celebrate Magico 10th Year .
No one have audition the M project yet and no one knows for sure if its going to be a better speaker then Q7 but its definitely a better speaker then Q5 in many ways,as this was confirm by Magico to me.

Mproject is, Limited 50 pairs speaker,to celebrate 10 years of Magico,and if its going to be better the Q7,its a reward to Magico customers who buy without auditioning the Mproject because they believe in Magico.
And until a new flag ship model is being introduce,the Q7 is still the speaker.
AS all 50 pair of the speakers has been taken up,effectively there is no more Mproject in production after that..
But i believe after the Mproject there will be a series of new speakers embracing the new technologies of the Mproject,same trend as when they launched the Q5..most hail the Q5 as the best then comes Q7...

I also see a calculated attack on Magico, for the most absurd reason too.(...)

I do not. I could see a welcome debate on the development and marketing strategy of Magico, and unfortunately the brave Magico supporters, who are left almost alone and must rely only on word of mouth and short press notes, do not have solid information enough to feed a debate or share with us.

This comment and a similar one from Roysen about his "investment" in the Q7 are quite interesting. Does anyone else consider buying a cutting edge SOTA speaker to be an "investment"? These are luxury items meant to be enjoyed. As technology improves, they will be replaced by something better.

This comment and a similar one from Roysen about his "investment" in the Q7 are quite interesting. Does anyone else consider buying a cutting edge SOTA speaker to be an "investment"? These are luxury items meant to be enjoyed. As technology improves, they will be replaced by something better.

certainly in any hobby where large dollars are involved, there is a future value component to any purchase. you look around to observe just how am I going to exit this product? what might be the consequences? it's not the main thing, but it's a thing. maybe some of us are flush enough that it never enters our mind, but for most people it's some degree of an issue. even if it's just a matter of feeling 'smart' and not feeling a victim or the patsy.

and every manufacturer has their approach to this issue. how long will the statement product be that statement product? what level of commitment are those customers who jumped in with both feet going to feel from the manufacturer?

forgetting about my speaker experiences.......I appreciate that I've owned my darTZeel preamp for 8 years, and it's still upgradeable to the latest and greatest brand new product. I owned my dart 108 amp for 7 years before a sold it and it was and is still current and was upgraded twice. my Playback Designs MPS-5 is 7 years old and is on the 26th software upgrade. that is real value to the buyer. owning products for years and years and staying relevant and valuable.

it does require the buyer to recognize top level performance for himself. it's that performance which carries the value forward.

Again, mudslinging against a particular brand... This is not a "debate", as microstrip claims it. It's mudslinging.

Do you know if Magico didn't give their dealers a heads up regarding the new model (potentially better -- and cheaper) ?

Do you know if these M5s and Q5s are not used pairs, taken in trade for newer models?

And do you honestly believe Magico is the only company whose products devaluate as time goes on? Really, I don't want to dig through Audiogon finding all the bargains from other manufacturers to show you how wrong you are....

alexandre

Do you know if Magico didn't give their dealers a heads up regarding the new model (potentially better -- and cheaper) ?

There are companies that do, and those that don't. I'm not sure about Magico, but I'm sure Wilson - which was widely discussed in this thread - certainly doesn't. And I'm not criticizing Wilson for that. Once this info is sent to the distributors, it always 'mysteriously' leaks and you can read about it on the forums next day.

Product Cycles are not unique to audio. I think we can all agree on that. Anybody here still wearing bell bottom pants? :D

Short cycles are hard on dealers and distributors and irritating to most consumers. However, if a product fails to gain traction, shortening a cycle is imperative for a manufacturer. Same goes when demand slows for whatever reason be it market saturation or loss of market share. Ultimately the manufacturer has to calibrate the cycle to find what is most acceptable to his buyers while maintaining positive flow. This is not an easy thing to do! Too quick and you **** people off. You might even be accused of not getting it right the first time around. Too slow and you risk getting left to the vultures.

Now this new speaker is a limited edition offering. It's a "spiker". It's to be a single run for the quick drawin' faithful. More than that though, it is, and I'm sure Alon knows it, also something to boost awareness without causing cycle disruptions. I don't recall anybody complaining about the limited SF Xtrema.

Posts deleted. second warning guys. Unless the name calling and ad hominem attacks stop the thread will be closed at which point I as a Wilson owner will probably be blamed for closing a Magico thread.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing