Heresy? Insanity? Discovery?

Carl-I have a HT theater system in another room and I like it for watching TV and movies which is why I bought it. I think you are using something out of the ordinary for your surround sound system aren't you? Maybe you are onto something that does less damage to the music and doesn't become tiresome like HT setups do.

I probably listen to two channel recordings in a multi-channel format 90+% of the time. I use a neural form of surround processing. It can be very subtle AND much more realistic at the same time. Overly dry studio recordings don't do well in this processing environment.

I was a two channel "purist" for almost 40 years but no longer. Neither are real but Neural processing seems to get me closer to what "real" should be. It's all about illusion anyway!!

I used various add on rear channel systems years ago, which did not involve any processing to the stereo channels, but ran from an additional set of outputs on my front channel preamp to a separate set-up consisting of a small processor which enabled me to vary delay, and a modest rear channel amp and speakers. At the time, I was using Quad ESLs with a subwoofer and ribbons in the front channels. The results varied, depending on the recording; in some cases the dimensionality of the added channels was wonderful. I haven't pursued this in years, although I have, on occasion, played CDs or concert DVDs, including Blu Rays over my big HT system. That delivered rock and roll great, but the HT system is nowhere near the quality of the hi-fi system. (At the time, it was a Meridian processor, a bunch of ARC tube amps driving Snells and a pair of Velodyne subwoofers).
Didn't Dynavector make a product that was meant to add channels to hi-fi? I remember reading an old review of it, never saw or heard one in person.

I believe that long before HT was a twinkle in any engineer's eye that Yamaha has a fairly serious device for adding channels to a stereo system.

I have tried the various surround formats on my Integra pre/pro, but always come back to plain ole "Direct" mode. Something seems to get lost in the dynamics and soundstage otherwise. However I really do like well mixed, multi-channel music in SACD or DVD-Audio.

Would love to try the Lexicon QLS, Amir mentioned though.

Jack,

Your system may well be one of those I mentioned for which surround doesn't offer as much "interest"!

Lee

I'm very happy with it Lee BUT when it comes to "you are there" multi-channel still has the sonic edge as far as I'm concerned. Problem has always been my dissatisfaction with the emulated MC I've come across which sounds artificial and the lack of discreet multichannel titles of music I really dig.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing