Hell or High Water

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Haven't seen a thread for this movie yet so I thought I would recommend it to you.

Its a modern western set in West Texas. Two brothers are trying to save their small and dusty family ranch from the bank that holds the mortgage and is about to foreclose. They decide to rob branches of the same bank to raise the money to pay off the mortgage.

The movie stars Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges and Ben Foster. Bridges is a Texas Ranger very late in his career chasing down the bank robbers.

Pro reviews for this independent film were excellent and my wife and I both enjoyed the movie. Check it out while its still in theaters.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Finally got to see this this afternoon. The synopsis is as you said with a somewhat predictable ending. Having said that however I found the movie IMO to be the sleeper of the summer because it seems the blockbusters and Oscar contenders don't usually show up until the final 3 months of each year.

Jeff Bridges was fabulous and almost certainly should get a Best Supporting nomination ( based on what I've seen so far yesr to date

Definitely worth seeing

IMO Jeff Bridges is a superb actor. His role in this film reminds of his role in Crazy Heart in 1999 when he won the Oscar for Best Actor.

A barometric gauge for me is my wife's opinion in the movies we see and she really liked it.

So two thumbs up from our seats.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Glad you liked it, too. It's definitely award worthy in my opinion as well.

The whole time I was watching the movie I kept thinking about No Country For Old Men - probably because of the dry and dusty desert setting.

Not that the movies were so similar otherwise...and No Country was a heck of a lot more brutally violent.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is the very first time I've read about it, and from right here. So I searched around and it has good reviews (99% @ Rotten Tomatoes), plus other film critics from other movie websites highly praised it as well. I've read that the dialog is good, and the writer too.

I definitely want to see it. I'll wait for the Blu.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Plus it has digital filters too.

:p

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
There was one scene in particular that made me chuckle. On their last mission they walk out into the street and EVERYBODY in town is carrying. Poking a little fun at Texas?

This was a terrific movie. Would enjoy seeing it again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing