Handling Heavy Amps

JFRMusic

Feb 24, 2024
NJ
There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you? I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I have used a moving company for one-off items. Never audio gear, but they don't care what they move. I describe the item and they send a person or people as needed. Often, I help the guy myself, depending on weight, awkwardness, etc.

They get paid by the hour, and usually a minimum cost is set. Most of my stuff takes about 15 minutes...I just can't do it myself. It's worth 75 bucks or so to not drop something or hurt myself trying to move something I used to be able to move. Good Luck!

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
Well, after months of dreading the size, I bought the Gryphon Apex. Needed a moving company to place it in my living room. It was all well worth it!. This is the amp that my Wilson XLF's have been waiting for!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing