Gryphon Diablo Integrated Amplifier Owners

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Guys, since this afternoon my Diablo 300 seems to have a problem, there is suddenly no sound coming from the speakers.
My gear was burning in for the past 3 days and today we had an electricity shut down while my system was up and running at low volume.
Could it be that the fuse needs replacement although my Diablo 300 is new ?

Low325

May 2, 2021
Have you tried another outlet by chance? Or done the completely unplug/plug then switch on method already?
Just recently I noticed no power in my Diablo 120 and turned out the plug behind it somehow came loose. My aftermarket plug isn’t as snug fitting to the IEC. Pushed it back it and it was fine.
Hope it something as simple as this!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Does the unit light turn on when you plug it in...or is it dark?
- Step 1 - see if the unit shows (when off) that it is getting power
- Step 2 - does it actually turn on when you touch the on button?
- Step 3 - if it does turn ON...and you are getting no volume, I wonder if that is a kind of 'let it rest and reset'...or whether something happened with volume attenuator?

If the fuse blew, would that not meant the unit wont switch on?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Is the main power rocker switch (underneath the front panel) in the off position or in the standby position*? If in standby, the the red Gryphon on the front panel should be lit. If not, flip the rocker switch from off to standby. Is the red Gryphon lit? If so, you should then be able to turn the amp on via the front touch panel or the remote and adjust the volume.

* It should have been in the standby position if the amp was operating when you lost power.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, yes obviously the unit is ON, the front panel lights up normaly and i can turn the volume up and down with the remote but no sound unfortunately.
I have put the unit in standby mode and then turn it off with the button underneath several times, let it cool and turn it back on but still no sound when i turn the volume up.
My streamer and DAC are running perfectly
This is a very strange situation maybe i should ask my dealer ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
When you go right next to the speaker cone, do you hear ANYTHING...even the tiniest hiss? If you hear almost 'enforced absolute silence'...I wonder whether somehow the electricity going out in your area has permanently triggered the mute function on your integrated. Or maybe the power did take out a circuit. Yes, best to ask your dealer.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi guys, yes obviously the unit is ON, the front panel lights up normaly and i can turn the volume up and down with the remote but no sound unfortunately.
I have put the unit in standby mode and then turn it off with the button underneath several times, let it cool and turn it back on but still no sound when i turn the volume up.
It's not "maybe" if you should ask you dealer, my advice would be to immediately call your dealer.

You say your streaming/dac are working perfectly. Have you powered down the streamer and dac and the integrated. If not, power everything down, and then bring everything back up, streamer, dac, and then integrated.

Sometimes the connection between the streamer and dac gets confused with loss of power. They might seem to be working, but not giving any output signal from the dac to the integrated.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It's not "maybe" if you should ask you dealer, my advice would be to immediately call your dealer.

You say your streaming/dac are working perfectly. Have you powered down the streamer and dac and the integrated. If not, power everything down, and then bring everything back up, streamer, dac, and then integrated.

Sometimes the connection between the streamer and dac gets confused with loss of power. They might seem to be working, but not giving any output signal from the dac to the integrated.
Good point. If I disconnect the I2S cable from the DAC to try a new one, sometimes, it needs to 'connect' by turning on/off. Same applies for some reason to the headphone amp which is a simple analog connection. I thought for weeks the headphone amp was broken...turned on fine but zero sound...i was actually looking at replacement headphone amps. And then randomly just decided to plug/unplug and disconnect the XLRs just to be thorough...and lo and behold, it somehow reconnected, and the sound is perfect.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Good point. If I disconnect the I2S cable from the DAC to try a new one, sometimes, it needs to 'connect' by turning on/off. Same applies for some reason to the headphone amp which is a simple analog connection. I thought for weeks the headphone amp was broken...turned on fine but zero sound...i was actually looking at replacement headphone amps. And then randomly just decided to plug/unplug and disconnect the XLRs just to be thorough...and lo and behold, it somehow reconnected, and the sound is perfect.
Not saying this is his issue, but it happens all the time with servers/streamers/dacs. The server can show that it is playing, the dac can show there is a connection via showing the format being played on the display, but no signal is being sent to the pre or integrated. Usually just powering the dac down fixes it, but sometimes shutting everything down is necessary. If that doesn't work, then there is something that needs further investigation, but I can't remember when it didn't work for me, probably happening 100+ times over the years.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
First yes you should call your dealer. Also if you aren't getting any sound how do you know your streamer and DAC are running perfectly? Have you tried other sources?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014

Bob you were right, i did exactly what you suggested power the whole system down even the Niagara 3000 and unplug the I2S cable between the LinQ and the Formula, put everything back turn on the system and everything is working flawlessly again.
Thanks very much Bob and to all of you guys who tried to help me out!
Now i know what to do if this happens again.
Cheers

Reactions: christoph

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob you were right, i did exactly what you suggested power the whole system down even the Niagara 3000 and unplug the I2S cable between the LinQ and the Formula, put everything back turn on the system and everything is working flawlessly again.
Cheers
So glad that's what it was. A LOT easier than if it was something more problematic! Damn computers:) Glad you are back up and listening to music! Enjoy.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
So glad that's what it was. A LOT easier than if it was something more problematic! Damn computers:) Glad you are back up and listening to music! Enjoy.
I will carry on with the burnin period, still a couple more days left i guess a week should be enough ?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I will carry on with the burnin period, still a couple more days left i guess a week should be enough ?
One week is better than no weeks, two weeks is better than one week:)

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Cheers
Great news! Enjoy!

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Did some of you try the Synergistic Research Orange Fuse on your Diablo 120-300 ?
Is it worth it and which model fuse do i need ?

Low325

May 2, 2021
I have not tried any fuse swaps In my 120.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I can now say that my Diablo 300 is the absolute best choice to drive my Thiel CS 3.7s.
Cannot think of a better amp for these speakers.
IMO the Diablo 300 has the best price to perfomance ratio on the market.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Many, many congratulations! As an 11-year owner of Gryphon, I think your is another great story about a truly gifted designer who has created at first some of the world's leading all-out amplification designs...and then because the rest of the world started racing towards 5-figure and 10-figure amps in the last 5 years...suddenly Gryphon has also become "all-out assault performance at value-for-luxury-money pricing"...in other words, very expensive but for what you get, still a lot LESS expensive than a number of new models from other brands.

BTW, I note the new headphone rig! How did you choose the Dana Ultralite? I have read great things about their Lazuli Ref cables, and can only imagine what their Ultralite must sound like.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Many, many congratulations! As an 11-year owner of Gryphon, I think your is another great story about a truly gifted designer who has created at first some of the world's leading all-out amplification designs...and then because the rest of the world started racing towards 5-figure and 10-figure amps in the last 5 years...suddenly Gryphon has also become "all-out assault performance at value-for-luxury-money pricing"...in other words, very expensive but for what you get, still a lot LESS expensive than a number of new models from other brands.

BTW, I note the new headphone rig! How did you choose the Dana Ultralite? I have read great things about their Lazuli Ref cables, and can only imagine what their Ultralite must sound like.
Thanks!
I already own the Lazuli Ref paired with my Hifiman HE-1000SE, great combo.
The Ultralite will be a little more resolving as it is a mix of copper and silver, the Lazuli Ref is 100% copper.
Here's a pic of the HE-R10P prototype.
Hifiman HE-R10P.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing