Ground Loops 101

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 10, 2012
Ireland
Fortunately, I believe ground loops are fairly rare these days.
What is a much more common issue are leakage currents.
These arise from the ubiquitous use of SMPS in the form of power bricks, wallwarts & internal PSes in computers & other devices often found in the playback chain
These leakage currents similarly find their way into & cause noise issues in signal ground.

But again, the best solution is to ground the the non-positive output from the SMPSes.

PS. I note that the AP grounding recommendation diagram above is the very same one I recommended here for Amir's benefit - obviously it depends on who is the messenger, as my suggestion was rejected as idiotic by some of the same people who praise it above

Fortunately, I believe ground loops are fairly rare these days.
I suspect that many "RF" noise complaints are due to ground loops.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing