Grimm MU1 with Weiss DAC501 - Any feedback on this pairing?

@mattsal101

Aug 28, 2023
Australia
There's plenty of great reviews and feedback from people who combined their DAC (in particular the Tambaqui) with an MU1, though not much about a Weiss DAC501 with MU1 (except in a Steve Huff review).

Currently I use my Weiss DAC501 as a Roon end point/renderer. My Roon core is on a Macbook pro connected to the network through WiFi; I use Cardas Clear Beyond XLR interconnects to feed a pair of Genelec G5 speakers; and a Vertere Pulse HB Ethernet cable to connect the DAC501 to my Router.

I've been looking into purchasing an MU1 to use the inbuilt roon core via ethernet to my network. As well, improve my SQ by way of other MU1 features (precison clocking and signal upsampling, FPGA). Unfortunately I'm unable to home test one in my system though.

Can anyone in the community shed light whether they have tested or perhaps heard a Weiss501 with a Grimm MU1, and how they found it?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Are you wedded to Roon?
If not, you could try the JPLAY iOS app which should work extremely well with your Weiss DAC:

Matt

@mattsal101

Aug 28, 2023
Australia
Hi Mattias. I had a try of JPLAY IOS app via the free trial. Unfortunately some files played whereas many did not from my tidal service. That could be due them being MQA files which aren't supported by my Weiss. Anyway, as it was hit and miss so to speak, I am more comfortable with roon.

I appreciate you letting me know about it though. Thank you.

Reactions: matthias

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing