Grimm MU1 vs Aurender N30SA vs Taiko Audio

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
From someone who works in the San Francisco Bay Area, we use the word “ecosystem“ to refer to user bases in the tens of millions to billions of people (e.g., Gmail, Apple iOS, Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom).
The rest of the English speaking world uses the word "ecosystem" to describe "any system or network of interconnecting and interacting parts". The number of parts that comprise it doesn't factor into whether that term applies. It's just that the parts are interconnected and interacting. Certainly Taiko has been releasing a set of products that interconnect and interact so "ecosystem" is an apt description of that. Just my two cents.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
My dealer just ordered us a Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch - Both in black. It will be app 8 weeks for delivery.

The Switch “may” arrive first. If so I’ll test it’s effects on the N30SA.

The hard part has begun - waiting.

Last edited:

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Central Florida - Orlando
Congrats!

Reactions: Audire

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
My dealer just ordered us a Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch - Both in black. It will be app 8 weeks for delivery.

The Switch “may” arrive first. If so I’ll test it’s effects on the N30SA.

The hard part has begun - waiting.
Good luck - mine took 6 months

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Good luck - mine took 6 months

Wow, so sorry. You’re a very patient person. I had my dealer check with Taiko before I ordered it. So, hopefully their timing is accurate.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Wow, so sorry. You’re a very patient person. I had my dealer check with Taiko before I ordered it. So, hopefully their timing is accurate.
So did I...

• Sad
Reactions: Dierkx1 and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Reactions: Famester

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
If anyone here who has owned or auditioned both the N30SA and Taiko Extreme would please describe the sonic characteristics of each, then I would be very appreciative.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Hello @Audire, have you received your Taiko stuff yet? I have a Grimm mu1 w my Tambaqui, but am considering either a new N20 or N30SA (when they are Roon certified) vs Taiko w Switch or and Modem. I do have M12 gold switch now. w SJ AR6 powering it...very interested in your findings, or anyone comparing N20 or 30 with or without external clock compared to Taiko. Thanks!

Aufiopassion

Aug 20, 2023
Have you guys further compared the Taiko and the Aurender N30sa + MC10 ? Using the BNC or AES out of the Aurender also I found beats the USB output of any streamer. But I haven't tried the Taiko... Welcome your feedback. Thank you!!

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Have you guys further compared the Taiko and the Aurender N30sa + MC10 ? Using the BNC or AES out of the Aurender also I found beats the USB output of any streamer. But I haven't tried the Taiko... Welcome your feedback. Thank you!!
I use AES out of my N30SA, which has been the single most significant change in my system in many years (and I’ve incrementally changed every component including loudspeakers over the past two years).

I have not heard the Taiko Extreme, but for us it’s a non-starter for a couple reasons, primarily chassis dimensions and weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aufiopassion

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
I use AES out of my N30SA, which has been the single most significant change in my system in many years (and I’ve incrementally changed every component including loudspeakers over the past two years).
Hello, I too changed to AES from USB out of my Grimm MU1 and it is better! I am very interested in the N30, waiting on its certification as a Roon endpoint. I want to run Roon Core on my Grimm MU1 in my second system, and then possibly use the N30 as streamer in my best system. I understand Roon may not be best sound quality, but I do enjoy its music selections. I have modded my MU1 with a new ethernet cable inside it, replacing the stock generic 1 foot cable. It makes a big difference. Even so much so, that running roon core on this MU1 and then using the Tambaqui internal streamer (bridge) now sounds much better in the second system, even without a dedicated streamer!

Reactions: Gjo

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Hello, I too changed to AES from USB out of my Grimm MU1 and it is better! I am very interested in the N30, waiting on its certification as a Roon endpoint. I want to run Roon Core on my Grimm MU1 in my second system, and then possibly use the N30 as streamer in my best system. I understand Roon may not be best sound quality, but I do enjoy its music selections. I have modded my MU1 with a new ethernet cable inside it, replacing the stock generic 1 foot cable. It makes a big difference. Even so much so, that running roon core on this MU1 and then using the Tambaqui internal streamer (bridge) now sounds much better in the second system, even without a dedicated streamer!
Very nice systems, and great options among them.

I agree wholeheartedly about the Roon experience.

When I bought my N30SA it was with the understanding and anticipation that Roon implementation was imminent within a month or two. That was four months ago. Clearly, that’s not the case, and while I love the N30SA’s sound (or lack thereof), I’m looking forward to at least trying Roon with it and listening for differences.

It’s nice to see another Aurender owner with a similarly open mind.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Very nice systems, and great options among them.
And a very nice system you have!! I would love to share listening...

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
You may find this announcement of interest: Aurender and Roon
That ping file does not open without an account log-in.

I posted a link in the Audiophilestyle Aurender forum to an Aurender/Roon set-up video I came across in a web search in early December (video has since been removed). Meanwhile, I contacted Roon Support asking about that video and the status of Roon Ready and was told it was a prematurely posted instructional video and Roon had not yet certified Aurender devices. This was the first week of December.

As yet, there is no updated Roon Partners list in 2024.

Last edited:

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I can not find any info elsewhere on Aurender being certified for Roon. And if so, is it a hardware upgrade?

Thanks, Ken
I also couldn't verify the source of that announcement, but was previously told by Aurender that when Roon certification was complete it would only require a firmware update on the supported models.

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I have modded my MU1 with a new ethernet cable inside it, replacing the stock generic 1 foot cable. It makes a big difference.

Wow, would have never guessed there was a generic ethernet cable in that box at that price.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Wow, would have never guessed there was a generic ethernet cable in that box at that price.
It might be apropos to remind everyone that the Internet runs on millions of miles of generic cable. The TCP/IP protocol that transports terabytes of data along the web every second of every day is built to be remarkably fault tolerant, originally designed so that the network would still function even if large parts were taken down by a nuclear strike (the basic architecture of the Internet was designed in the 1960s).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing