Grand Cru arrived

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I tried in last years VDH Colibri,but was not satisfy and sold
After reading all Enthusiastic post of MS and GC i found a very good offer from a friend for a new Grand Cru and i bought last week.

I put on Elite 12" with a new Vyda phono cable,and all have 5 hours but i can say sound is fantastic,never listen detail and high in this was,but also mid and midhigh are open but natural and sweet and luckily no problems of sibilant.
A good surprise also bass very good,deep and good midbass,that i think will improve after break in cart and cable.

Also image and depth are very good,listening vibraphone of Jazz at the Pawnshop is a new experience

I bought with some trade also a Tripalnar tonearm,Ultimate SE 9.8",is really a fantastic tonearm also this

Attachments

• IMG_8091.jpg
    IMG_8091.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 42

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian, congratulations on this new cartridge.

After a couple months, how is your cartridge sounding? You might want to post your impressions on the VDH Colibri Grand Cru thread. Do you have any photos?

Here's a video

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: PeterA and bonzo75

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have also MS 5 R with 0.56 output and is a fantastic cartridges,but Grand Cru is little better

Here i have
SAT with Atlas Lambda sl
Elite 12" with Grand Cru
Triplanar 9.8 Ultimate SE with Opus

Sat is better than Elite because i tried Opus and Lambda with both and listen very clear that Sat is better in dynamic,bottom end more details,but also Elite is a very good arm

I listen jazz and few instrunment with Elite Grand cru,voice,choir and similar with Triplanar/Opus,little more body than Elite/GC and Opus very good on midbass/midhigh and with Sat/Lambda pop,rock,symphonic music,very explosive and dynamic combo

Among this 3 cartridges plus GFS and Coralstone Diamond i listen sometimes,my favourute,if i had to keep only one,i will keep Grand Cru

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have also MS 5 R with 0.56 output and is a fantastic cartridges,but Grand Cru is little better

Here i have
SAT with Atlas Lambda sl
Elite 12" with Grand Cru

Sat is better than Elite because i tried Opus and Lambda with both and listen very clear that Sat is better in dynamic,bottom end more details,but also Elite is a very good arm

I listen jazz and few instrunment with Elite Grand cru,voice,choir and similar with Triplanar/Opus,little more body than Elite/GC and Opus very good on midbass/midhigh and with Sat/Lambda pop,rock,symphonic music,very explosive and dynamic combo

Among this 3 cartridges plus GFS and Coralstone Diamond i listen sometimes,my favourute,if i had to keep only one,i will keep Grand Cru

Wow Gian, that is quite a nice collection of cartridges. I have heard the Opus and the Atlas Lambda (in an all CH Precision system). They are both excellent, but I own four Colibris and a vintage Technics MM. Are you at all curious to hear your friend Tang's SME 3012Rs? He seems to like them. :)

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Hey Gian,
Are you connecting the Grand Cru to the P1? If so, are you using its current mode inputs or voltage mode input?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am using with P1,
i tried in current but is too open and too light and i am using in voltage at 500 ohms and seems perfect

Reactions: iaxel

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Thanks! Makes sense, as the current mode is aimed at low impedance cartridges and the Grand Cru does not fall into that category.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Even if VDH Grail phono i think is in current and cannot understand how can work
Could be will borrow me Grail SE to use with GC and to try with P1

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Here i have
SAT with Atlas Lambda sl
Elite 12" with Grand Cru

I will buy your Master Sig and the Atlas Lambda sl when you want to leg go.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I will buy your Master Sig and the Atlas Lambda sl when you want to leg go.

Tang, Does Gian have both a Master Sig and a Grand Cru? If so, I would enjoy reading his impressions of the differences. I just installed my old Colibri XPP today to compare to my latest Grand Cru. Same family for sure, but differences too that are more or less apparent depending on the type of music being played.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Even if VDH Grail phono i think is in current and cannot understand how can work
Could be will borrow me Grail SE to use with GC and to try with P1

Grail SE is very very lively. I tried it for a couple weeks. I will be interested to hear your comparison to the P1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing