Got New DAC - MSB Premier

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
A couple of days ago i went with a friend to listen to Zellaton Klassik Stage speakers (blow my mind but that's a different story).
The owner used MSB Premiers DAC with the streaming module as the source. what was familiar to me was the same filling I got in Munich on most or all the rooms that used MSB DAC as their source.

Long story short i just got myself a new MSB Premier DAC from the local distributor.
for the time being, i'm using his machine (black) till my silver unit that had been ordered will arrive

regarding sound, its better than my Melco N1ZH and Luxman D10X combo, in a couple of things - the stage is bigger, the mids are clearer and the whole dame thing is just so much closer to analog.

is it worth the price for the minor differences, hell yeah! - The easiest way to put it is: It's just more engaging to listen to.

I think Jeff Fritz sums it all up in his premier review from 2021 - "The Premier is a super-high-resolution, completely silent, utterly dynamic component that lets the music flow through it less hindered than through anything else I’ve heard. In terms of sound quality, it’s the best digital front end I’ve had in my system."

Attachments

• 20220902_075803.jpg
    20220902_075803.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 20220902_075818.jpg
    20220902_075818.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 20220902_075849.jpg
    20220902_075849.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220902_075859.jpg
    20220902_075859.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 132

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Congrats on your MSB Premier. I'm sure you have a lot of awesome listening ahead of you.

Reactions: exupgh12

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats. It all starts with the source! Nice TT by the way...I know nothing about TT, but have read and heard great things about Brinkmann. (Big fan of HRS which they integrate into the design of the TT.)

What speakers are you driving, btw? And are those also going to be 'upgraded' to Zellatons?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Nice and congrats1

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Congrats. It all starts with the source! Nice TT by the way...I know nothing about TT, but have read and heard great things about Brinkmann. (Big fan of HRS which they integrate into the design of the TT.)

What speakers are you driving, btw? And are those also going to be 'upgraded' to Zellatons?
Hi,

My speakers are Magico S3MK2, I don't think or expect to replace them in the next couple of years.
saying that, Zellaton's (EVO or Klassik) speakers are superb, if i would be looking for new ultimate speakers i surely put them on my must-listen list.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Great looking system! If I may be so bold ... any way you could put those beautiful amplfiers on separate amplifier stands on the floor? (Or add anther level of shelves.) That way you could place the DAC and its separate power supply on its own shelf. My MSB components greatly benefit (in my room etc) from being on its own shelf; the sound definitely became more constrained, less layered, less dynamic, smaller soundstage when I had them stacked. At least find a way to try it !!!

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Great looking system! If I may be so bold ... any way you could put those beautiful amplfiers on separate amplifier stands on the floor? (Or add anther level of shelves.) That way you could place the DAC and its separate power supply on its own shelf. My MSB components greatly benefit (in my room etc) from being on its own shelf; the sound definitely became more constrained, less layered, less dynamic, smaller soundstage when I had them stacked. At least find a way to try it !!!
Hi,

That's a great option, but I'll need a longer XLR IC between the preamp and the amplifiers - maybe in the future, I'll adopt your suggestion.

Thank you :)

Reactions: gds7368

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Some more thought on the change and differences

Luxman D10X+Melco - Quiet, sound energetic, and directness (or whatever you want to call it), the combo has great attack and macro capability, accuracy, speed, and control.

MSB Premier - Quiet, a bit less dynamic than the Luxman (a bit more refined), a wider and deeper stage, the sound has a certain tendency forward, great resolution but still preserves thick sound texture.

Vocals are to die for, the ability to "dig" into the track without being harsh on the sound.

At the end of the day, these are two excellent converters that manage to produce very enjoyable sound in my system, a sound that will put a huge smile on every listener.

If I had to live with only one device, the Premier is my choice, as it holds the stick from both ends more perfectly (dynamism, super-high resolution, absolute silence, and musicality on the verge of analog magic).

Since the D10X is a combined device (CD\SACD), this eliminates the need to choose between, and both devices remain with me.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Sounds like you really can't make a bad decision with either unit. There is a lot of great gear these days. Enjoy!

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Sounds like you really can't make a bad decision with either unit. There is a lot of great gear these days. Enjoy!
Thank you, indeed we are blessed with much great gear these days, either unit is excellent
I feel lucky not to be troubled by that as i can keep both.

Reactions: Pokey77

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Some more thought on the change and differences

Luxman D10X+Melco - Quiet, sound energetic, and directness (or whatever you want to call it), the combo has great attack and macro capability, accuracy, speed, and control.

MSB Premier - Quiet, a bit less dynamic than the Luxman (a bit more refined), a wider and deeper stage, the sound has a certain tendency forward, great resolution but still preserves thick sound texture.

Vocals are to die for, the ability to "dig" into the track without being harsh on the sound.

At the end of the day, these are two excellent converters that manage to produce very enjoyable sound in my system, a sound that will put a huge smile on every listener.

If I had to live with only one device, the Premier is my choice, as it holds the stick from both ends more perfectly (dynamism, super-high resolution, absolute silence, and musicality on the verge of analog magic).

Since the D10X is a combined device (CD\SACD), this eliminates the need to choose between, and both devices remain with me.
are you using the Melco as a server in both cases - i.e. also with your MSB?

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
are you using the Melco as a server in both cases - i.e. also with your MSB?
No only the luxman unit is connected to the Melco (this why i reffer to the Melco+Luxman as one unit).
The MSB Premier I have now at home is here till my DAC arrive and it doesn't have USB or Pro ISL installed on it (my Premier will have this as well as the Renderer 2).

to check the Dacs i grouped both DACs in Roon, this made it easier to do an A, B test fairly easly.

pnp

Nov 28, 2012
No only the luxman unit is connected to the Melco (this why i reffer to the Melco+Luxman as one unit).
The MSB Premier I have now at home is here till my DAC arrive and it doesn't have USB or Pro ISL installed on it (my Premier will have this as well as the Renderer 2).

to check the Dacs i grouped both DACs in Roon, this made it easier to do an A, B test fairly easly.
It would be very interesting to know how your new MSB compares to the Luxman with both units connected to the Melco.
Please keep us posted about it...

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
A couple of days ago i went with a friend to listen to Zellaton Klassik Stage speakers (blow my mind but that's a different story).
The owner used MSB Premiers DAC with the streaming module as the source. what was familiar to me was the same filling I got in Munich on most or all the rooms that used MSB DAC as their source.

Long story short i just got myself a new MSB Premier DAC from the local distributor.
for the time being, i'm using his machine (black) till my silver unit that had been ordered will arrive

regarding sound, its better than my Melco N1ZH and Luxman D10X combo, in a couple of things - the stage is bigger, the mids are clearer and the whole dame thing is just so much closer to analog.

is it worth the price for the minor differences, hell yeah! - The easiest way to put it is: It's just more engaging to listen to.

I think Jeff Fritz sums it all up in his premier review from 2021 - "The Premier is a super-high-resolution, completely silent, utterly dynamic component that lets the music flow through it less hindered than through anything else I’ve heard. In terms of sound quality, it’s the best digital front end I’ve had in my system."
did you use external preamp?

Reactions: itay123

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
It would be very interesting to know how your new MSB compares to the Luxman with both units connected to the Melco.
Please keep us posted about it...
connecting the MSB to the Melco trough ProISL module just gained more, more quiet, more micro and macro dynamic, better stage, air and resolution. the ProISL is decently the way to go with MSB, at least till you decide to jump on the new Digital Director MSB introduce at the beginning of the year.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing