Good mid-price audiophile switches

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Tangent: I had an Uptone LPS1.2 powering a EtherRegen. Replacing the Uptone Meanwell SMPS powering the LPS1.2 with a LPS cleared up some grunge. I think it was pollution from the SMPS.

In another application I replaced the wall warts for my REL Longbow wireless with iFi SMPS's, the net effect was more noise in my system. The iFi's were worse than the wall warts. I am using the iFi's on the Longbow transceivers but have them off the dedicated lines for my system. I have removed all SMPS's from my dedicated lines.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Edison's products are becoming more and more popular not only in HK, Mainland China and SE Asia.

After having an official dealer in Japan, the Silent Switch OCXO has just received a praising review on HiVi, one of the most important hifi & ht magazines in Japan!

IMG-20210416-WA0013~2.jpg

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Edison's products are becoming more and more popular not only in HK, Mainland China and SE Asia.

After having an official dealer in Japan, the Silent Switch OCXO has just received a praising review on HiVi, one of the most important hifi & ht magazines in Japan!

View attachment 77089
Thank you. Was this the normal or extreme version? Do they publish any comparision with other audiophile swtiches?

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I recently installed a new system and I thought I would start with a "cheaper" switch to start with something until I can refine / finalize my digital side of things so I got the silent angel bonn 8 with a ifi power supply. Some claim smps work better with switch vs lpsu.
That was my experience with a TP-Link 8-port switch. I tried it with a decent Welborne Labs linear PSU and it was awful. The new iFi iPower X worked really well. I heard from a digital designer (possibly on this site?) that linear power supplies are great for analog but not fast enough for certain all-digital components.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Tangent: I had an Uptone LPS1.2 powering a EtherRegen. Replacing the Uptone Meanwell SMPS powering the LPS1.2 with a LPS cleared up some grunge. I think it was pollution from the SMPS.

In another application I replaced the wall warts for my REL Longbow wireless with iFi SMPS's, the net effect was more noise in my system. The iFi's were worse than the wall warts. I am using the iFi's on the Longbow transceivers but have them off the dedicated lines for my system. I have removed all SMPS's from my dedicated lines.
The iPower has a reputation for being very quiet but it is ungrounded, which can be a problem in some installations. Possibly what happened to you?

I use only linear power supplies in my main audio system but I have a few SMPS's for my network gear. There's only so much room for extra boxes under my desk.

The SMPS supplied with my internet provider modem was creating havoc in my system. I don't listen critically to internet music, only my NAS, but this SMPS in the network was causing fuzzy highs in my audio systems. Replacing it with the iFi iPower cleaned it right up.

The basic iPower is noticeably inferior to the basic linear power supplies I use, but the upgrade iPower X is much improved.

Last edited:

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
The iPower has a reputation for being very quiet but it is ungrounded, which can be a problem in some installations. Possibly what happened to you?

I use only linear power supplies in my main audio system but I have a few SMPS's for my network gear. There's only so much room for extra boxes under my desk.

The SMPS supplied with my internet provider modem was creating havoc in my system. I don't listen critically to internet music, only my NAS, but this SMPS in the network was causing fuzzy highs in my audio systems. Replacing it with the iFi iPower cleaned it right up.

The basic iPower is noticeably inferior to the basic linear power supplies I use, but the upgrade iPower X is much improved.
That may be, I don't know. It wasn't humm I was hearing. I had them on a PS Audio Powerplant P10 along with the rest of my digital gear. The P10 was on a Shunyata Denali on a dedicated line. Moving the iFi's to a non dedicated household outlet made the badness go away. I did not notice the badness with the stock wall warts but I am sure they were behaving badly also.

I have since put the P10 and the Denali each on their own dedicated line. My analog gear is still on the Denali. Definitely better with their own lines, I think the P10 was polluting the Denali.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
That was my experience with a TP-Link 8-port switch. I tried it with a decent Welborne Labs linear PSU and it was awful. The new iFi iPower X worked really well. I heard from a digital designer (possibly on this site?) that linear power supplies are great for analog but not fast enough for certain all-digital components.
Yeah I got the power X. I didn't do A/B comparisons yet with other power supplies but I compared it with coming out of my internet provider box which has a decent LPSU and it was much better via the switch + ifi. Concerning smps working better than LPSU for switches, I heard it several times from Hans Beekhuyzen. I find his videos informative, he tried it many times and always preferred smps. I wasn't going to spend 5/600 euros for a LPSU for a 400 euros switch. The 100 euros ifi power X fits the bill.

Reactions: JAB and audiobomber

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
I may be able to offer some real life / actual owner insights on your question in a few days. I just received today the EdisCreation “Extreme“ Silent OXCO Switch. You probably read my impressions of the “Standard“ EdisCreation Switch above on this thread. I now have both of them, and will “cascade”. Not exactly your inquiry, but close.

Give me a few days to put them in play and figure things out

‘Here is a follow up on this, as promised.

Disclosure: my impressions only, not backed up by any “measurements“ or ABX blind tests.

Getting the Extreme Silent Switch from EdisCreation was an audible improvement vs. the Standard version. Although, not as much as getting the Standard switch vs. base scenario. Cascading did not do much for me. Very subtle.

So, if I were to (purely subjectively) rate ‘ quantity my experience, in a scale of Zero to Ten, where Zero is base scenario (before EdisCreation switches), and Ten is my current status, with one Standard and one Extreme Switch:

1) Going from base scenario, the EdisCreation Standard is a 7.5

2) Replacing the Standard Switch with the Extreme Switch is a 9.5

3) Putting the Standard Switch to replace the consumer base main switch in my room: 10. This is where I am now, current status.

I did do quite a bit of experiments with these.

So if I were @Magnuska who asked that question, I would just get an Extreme EdisCreation switch, and be done with it

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Disclosure: my impressions only, not backed up by any “measurements“ or ABX blind tests.

Getting the Extreme Silent Switch from EdisCreation was an audible improvement vs. the Standard version. Although, not as much as getting the Standard switch vs. base scenario. Cascading did not do much for me. Very subtle.

So, if I were to (purely subjectively) rate ‘ quantity my experience, in a scale of Zero to Ten, where Zero is base scenario (before EdisCreation switches), and Ten is my current status, with one Standard and one Extreme Switch:

3) Putting the Standard Switch to replace the consumer base main switch in my room: 10. This is where I am now, current status.

So if I were @Magnuska who asked that question, I would just get an Extreme EdisCreation switch, and be done with it
Thanks thyname!
I think this is the first report of comparing the two Edison switch models and their mix&match.
Very useful!

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas

Great report, thank you. Does your Extreme have the Bybee option?

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane

Great work Thyname!
I will be hooking up the extreme tomorrow and not thinking about this subject again
Plenty of stuff left to fret over though
Cheers
Phil

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020

Thank you - very informative. The extreme or standard version could be a nobrainer for many people. In my situation who already have a good switch solution (eR+Afterdark OXCO clock+ 2xLPSU) its a bit trickier. Mabye the new Phoenix will better it. For me adding the OXCO clock to my eR was like going from a 6 to a 9 in increased SQ. I was not prepared for what the good clock can do. Your edison extreme will likely sound even better as the Mundorf, and Audionote caps will need a month or so to perform its best. The same goes for the OCXO clock. There is also another strong contender in the mid field segment and that is the cascade double Buffalo 2016 from Afterdark. https://www.adark.co/products/after...lack-modernize-edition?variant=39258125795446

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Well i have complicated the assesment with a new classic psu for nagra hd dac plus a new sablon ehternet cable all installed in the last few weeks prior to edison switch but there is no doubt a big improvement in streamed music (clarity detail etc. ... all the usual)
I also think there is a slight jump in music from hard drive ... but i might be dreaming :)

Thanks Thyname and CK for bringing this to my attention and testing

Has anyone noticed an improvement on a higher quality ethernet from wall to switch

Phil

Reactions: CKKeung and thyname

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I just added an Edison switch to my digital chain. I placed it before my EtherRegen. It was not a positive addition. Pardon my ignorance but a couple questions:

1) What is the purpose of the switches underneath each ethernet input?

2) Does the unit need break in time before it sounds good? Obviously everything benefits from break in but usually you can hear positives immediately so I'm curious.

Thanks.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
I just added an Edison switch to my digital chain. I placed it before my EtherRegen. It was not a positive addition. Pardon my ignorance but a couple questions:

You probably should try it replacing the EtherREGEN

1) What is the purpose of the switches underneath each ethernet input?

You should have received a piece of paper with the package. Just one simple page that explains it. Basically, it breaks the ground connection to that port. It has two positions, ground connected and ground disconnected

2) Does the unit need break in time before it sounds good? Obviously everything benefits from break in but usually you can hear positives immediately so I'm curious.
Yes, some break in needed, but as you said, if this works for you, you should hear some improvement right away, maybe upon leaving it on for a day or two

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thank you!

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Thank you!
Intersting MF ..
That seems contrary to other reports ... i wonder if switching the order might also make a difference ..
All i know is that edison compared to nothing was an immediate improvement and there may have been burn in gains since but only small

Phil

Reactions: donkeyshark

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I don't have an Ediscreation but I have 3 switches. My experience was each is a further improvement. I have the ER last ( on the streamer) and found it was better there than at the beginning (off the router). Power cables and ethernet cables matter a lot, as do the power supplies for the switches. I was amazed at what the ENO-AG ethernet filter does between the ER and streamer.

I think it takes at least several days for the OCXO to start to settle. Vibration control can also be an issue for the crystals.

Reactions: Forte and Superdad

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing