Good mid-price audiophile switches

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Very very happy with the results....actually was listening yesterday night and I was like woow - entire chain never sounded better. It somehow cleaned everything additionally so the background is not pitch "black" so everything stands out now in its full glory and bloom if I may say so...
Very worthwhile addition to the digital chain and Edison did a great job indeed.

P.S. If someone told me I'll write this down 6 months ago I would tell him he's nuts
Question about the fiber box: Is it set up with RJ45 (standard) ethernet input and output, but converting to optical internally to work its magic?

I'm not using fiber networking, but if that's part of how it works I might be interested in the product.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Question about the fiber box: Is it set up with RJ45 (standard) ethernet input and output, but converting to optical internally to work its magic?

I'm not using fiber networking, but if that's part of how it works I might be interested in the product.
Hi - as per my understanding it does exactly as you mentioned...RJ45 in/out...

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY

Yes RJ45 connections only.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
You can order directly from Edison at edison@nandeaudio.com He ships to the US as his products are not distributed here.
Edison was very quick to respond (accounting for the time-zone difference), and very helpful in his responses. I have a Fiber Box II Extreme on order. Since I only stream (music) through a single device, he recommended this over the switch.

Reactions: markramler

backpacker96

Apr 5, 2023
After practice, I really feel that the switch for audio is necessary. The improvement of sound quality is obvious, mainly reflected in the sound field, three-dimensionality, separation of instruments, and high and low extension. But I don't think Ediscreation swithc ocxo is the first choice for mid-priced switches. I tested it all day and it is better than general switches (Linksys GS108, Huawei S1720), but compared to audio switches of the same price (or even lower price), I don't think Ediscreation is good enough.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
After practice, I really feel that the switch for audio is necessary. The improvement of sound quality is obvious, mainly reflected in the sound field, three-dimensionality, separation of instruments, and high and low extension. But I don't think Ediscreation swithc ocxo is the first choice for mid-priced switches. I tested it all day and it is better than general switches (Linksys GS108, Huawei S1720), but compared to audio switches of the same price (or even lower price), I don't think Ediscreation is good enough.
So what is better in your humble opinion?

Reactions: Golum

mageak

Jan 3, 2022
this week i bought a silent angel bonn nx switch.

i moved my bonn n8 to the nbn side of my network

nbn > 30cm run ethernet > sbooster route > 1m run ethernet > sbooster bonn n8 > 35m run ethernet standard cat 6e shielded > bonn nx > player streamer dac

sound improvement was substantial. not subtle

Reactions: NigelB

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
@Golum Are you using the standard or extreme version of the fiberbox? Did you find substantial changes in bass? Did you notice a break in period?

I just installed mine and I’m honestly shocked by the improvements. Bass seems considerably more pronounced, slightly less controlled, like a new set of tubes that need to break in.

Everything else seems significantly better - sense of body to performers and instruments, soundstage depth, and a smoother more relaxed presentation, without any loss of detail. It also seemed to move the soundstage back overall, which I find I prefer. (If there are break in effects, I hope it doesn’t reduce these positive attributes.)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
@Golum Are you using the standard or extreme version of the fiberbox? Did you find substantial changes in bass? Did you notice a break in period?

I just installed mine and I’m honestly shocked by the improvements. Bass seems considerably more pronounced, slightly less controlled, like a new set of tubes that need to break in.

Everything else seems significantly better - sense of body to performers and instruments, soundstage depth, and a smoother more relaxed presentation, without any loss of detail. It also seemed to move the soundstage back overall, which I find I prefer. (If there are break in effects, I hope it doesn’t reduce these positive attributes.)
Hi;

Well Fiberbox I decided to take the normal version and switch is the extreme version. No specific logic behind this decision. Anyhow to answer your question - I've noticed quite profound changes with Fiberbox being almost on the same level as with switch - bass I'm not really sure but the entire system gave a feeling of being more "relaxed" and smoother/musical in a positive way with I would say being pitch black in between the notes...
So overall to me very well worth of the investment.

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
Well Fiberbox I decided to take the normal version and switch is the extreme version. No specific logic behind this decision. Anyhow to answer your question - I've noticed quite profound changes with Fiberbox being almost on the same level as with switch - bass I'm not really sure but the entire system gave a feeling of being more "relaxed" and smoother/musical in a positive way with I would say being pitch black in between the notes...
So overall to me very well worth of the investment.

Hi

Did you use a SFP/FMC setup before the Fiberbox II?

Torben

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I know you directed that towards Golum, but as an additional data point I’ve been using conventional copper networking, though with several levels of Shunyata Ethernet cables and with their power cords on my switch.

I will conservatively say I agree with Golum’s assessment of the fiberbox. The improvement is not subtle. (I opted for the extreme version, as I had a single streaming device in mind for my two channel playback and wasn’t spending money on a switch.)

Atriya

Feb 25, 2023
Did anyone ever compare the Ediscreation Silent Switch Extreme to the Innuos PhoenixNet?

I just wrote to Ediscreation to ask about pricing & shipping to the US.

Is the Silent Switch meant to be used with/benefits from using, the Fiberbox II? Before or after it in the chain?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Is the Silent Switch meant to be used with/benefits from using, the Fiberbox II? Before or after it in the chain?
I have both units and Edison advised to use FiberBox before SilentSwitch which I do and the results are exceptional. Did not try vice versa to comment on that way of connection...

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
I have both units and Edison advised to use FiberBox before SilentSwitch which I do and the results are exceptional. Did not try vice versa to comment on that way of connection...
Thats interesting .. I will flip mine :)
Thanks
Phil

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Did anyone ever compare the Ediscreation Silent Switch Extreme to the Innuos PhoenixNet?
A few months ago I demo'd the Innuous in my system and after testing for a week, I returned it. Yes, it smoothed out the system in a way that one might describe as "analog-like," but that came with a cost. Detail / air was reduced or eliminated and when I pulled it out of the system, I clearly preferred my original setup.

In contrast, I decided to buy the Fiberbox II Extreme after reading about it here and communicating with Edison about both it and the Silent Switch.

The Fiberbox II Extreme provides all the benefits of the PhoenixNet switch (for the single connection I needed to support, my Grimm MU1) without any of the negatives. Assuming the Silent Switch Extreme performs similarly, I think it would be the better choice over the PhoenixNet switch.

Small caveat: if you're using an Innuous streamer, the synergies between the two might be strong. In that case, if you can demo the PhoenixNet unit in your system, I think you should consider doing so. If you experience results similar to mine, return it and order the Ediscreation product.

Atriya

Feb 25, 2023
A few months ago I demo'd the Innuous in my system and after testing for a week, I returned it. Yes, it smoothed out the system in a way that one might describe as "analog-like," but that came with a cost. Detail / air was reduced or eliminated and when I pulled it out of the system, I clearly preferred my original setup.

In contrast, I decided to buy the Fiberbox II Extreme after reading about it here and communicating with Edison about both it and the Silent Switch.

The Fiberbox II Extreme provides all the benefits of the PhoenixNet switch (for the single connection I needed to support, my Grimm MU1) without any of the negatives. Assuming the Silent Switch Extreme performs similarly, I think it would be the better choice over the PhoenixNet switch.

Small caveat: if you're using an Innuous streamer, the synergies between the two might be strong. In that case, if you can demo the PhoenixNet unit in your system, I think you should consider doing so. If you experience results similar to mine, return it and order the Ediscreation product.

Very helpful, thanks.

I don't use any other Innuous products, so that kind of synergy is not a concern.

I reached out to Edison, but no response (by email). Does anybody know how to actually buy any of his products from the US?

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I think he’s based out of Hong Kong. He will likely respond by tomorrow morning.

I don’t believe he has a U.S. distributor, so you’ll buy directly from him.

Reactions: Atriya

Atriya

Feb 25, 2023
I think he’s based out of Hong Kong. He will likely respond by tomorrow morning.

I don’t believe he has a U.S. distributor, so you’ll buy directly from him.

He did respond.

I wonder how the Fiberbox II would compare to using a pair of Sonore opticalModules (or a single opticalModule and an etherRegen). Either combo would be half the price (of the Extreme).

Last edited:

Atriya

Feb 25, 2023

For the single connection to your MU1, I wonder if Edison advised you that having a Silent Switch in addition to your Fiberbox II would be redundant. Given that both devices reclock with an OXCO, it's unclear to me what value a SS would add, when placed after a FBII.

I'm trying to decide between a single FBII Extreme, or a chain of FBII standard & SS Standard.

This is all, of course, for people like us who do not need the additional connections the SS offers.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
For the single connection to your MU1, I wonder if Edison advised you that having a Silent Switch in addition to your Fiberbox II would be redundant. Given that both devices reclock with an OXCO, it's unclear to me what value a SS would add, when placed after a FBII.

I'm trying to decide between a single FBII Extreme, or a chain of FBII standard & SS Standard.

This is all, of course, for people like us who do not need the additional connections the SS offers.
I have the extreme dc and standard ac versions of both the Silent Switch and FiberBox. I found when I added the FB II standard to the SS standard there was a distinct improvement in the sound. The Extreme dc versions of both with the FireBird LPS sounds significantly better than the standard ac versions. My streamed music is now on par with my stored music on SSD. If I had do it over again. I would first get the Extreme dc version and then add the other components as desired. I have my server and TV connected to the SS. I like having the flexibility of more than one networked input that the SS offers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing