Golden Gate DAC arrives.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Cheers mate, I'm glad you liked the Golden Lady. I got my GG from G-Point a couple of weeks ago, but I've held off posting thus far as she's been settling in - also I always smile at those "wow moment" posts written in haste. Still not fully cooked, Duelunds can take ages to settle but this last week has been an experience.

Gotta say I've learned a few new things about articulation, soundstage and presence in tracks I thought I knew really well. In terms of realism: this is the best I've heard thus far, and my L4 Lampi and loaner B6 aren't exactly bad in that regard. I'm suffering sleep deprivation due to ploughing through the favourite albums :). Utterly silent background and runs so cool - I can hold the PsVane WE 101Ds tightly and they're just warm, as is the GG copper case. No tube-rolling yet, just want her to settle up, then EML Mesh 45's will be tested. Will get to rectifiers later, but from experience the EML Mesh provided is very good - will probably take some beating.

Happy.

Indeed Rob, the setup is looking and sounding excellent. I called into Robs the other night and must admit it was by far the best I had heard at Robs in all the times Ive been calling in, which is quite a few over the past year or so! I also feel that the new valve pre (not shown as its being fettled) has taken it to another level

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
A couple of people have contacted me about the Reserva power cord and I wanted to clarify that it's still in the early stages of beta testing, albeit showing great early promise, and will still need some further voicing with the accompanying new Reserva signal cabling. I did however receive some rather interesting feedback from another listener on PCM v DSD with this cord - to give some context he's really into the tech side of servers / software

Hmmmmm the weirdest thing: this powercord makes pcm through jriver/jplay sound better then dsd through hqplayer, im flabbergasted.. With my old pc's it was the other way around, and not even close, like hqp dsd 100 points, jr/jplay pcm 75 points. Now its more like jr/jplay pcm 100, hqp dsd 95. WTF!!??!!

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
And I thought the GM-70 in my amp was huge
Lloyd
Actually it's the Wavac HE 833 v2 and not the Mk2. The latter costs more than my house, car... The RCA833 A is the most humongous audio tube in use. 150 wpc all pure class A SET. The best part is you don't need to play any music. Switch off the lights and just stare at the two glowing candles. Even a MP3 with El cheapo headphones sounds amazing
Pics available on my system page on Agon
Pradeep

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Cheers mate, I'm glad you liked the Golden Lady. I got my GG from G-Point a couple of weeks ago, but I've held off posting thus far as she's been settling in - also I always smile at those "wow moment" posts written in haste. Still not fully cooked, Duelunds can take ages to settle but this last week has been an experience.

Gotta say I've learned a few new things about articulation, soundstage and presence in tracks I thought I knew really well. In terms of realism: this is the best I've heard thus far, and my L4 Lampi and loaner B6 aren't exactly bad in that regard. I'm suffering sleep deprivation due to ploughing through the favourite albums :). Utterly silent background and runs so cool - I can hold the PsVane WE 101Ds tightly and they're just warm, as is the GG copper case. No tube-rolling yet, just want her to settle up, then EML Mesh 45's will be tested. Will get to rectifiers later, but from experience the EML Mesh provided is very good - will probably take some beating.

Happy.

Golden lady. I like that. Beautiful speakers and system BTW.

I have one too now (#2 in the US) and sadly its a major step up from the B7. I was not expecting that....just Gucci casework and parts for rich idiots was my cynical presumption. Not so. Best digital I have heard or owned. No desire for a TT any longer. Well done Lucas.....

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Golden lady. I like that. Beautiful speakers and system BTW.

I have one too now (#2 in the US) and sadly its a major step up from the B7. I was not expecting that....just Gucci casework and parts for rich idiots was my cynical presumption. Not so. Best digital I have heard or owned. No desire for a TT any longer. Well done Lucas.....

Congrats Geardaddy, good to read that you are so impressed with the GG. Can you describe to us in what way(s) the GG beats the B7? Do I understand you correctly that the differences are not subtle once the GG is fully broken in?

Btw, I will come back to you soon with respect to your pictures but I have been extremely busy lately.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hi Rudolph. Clarity, soundstaging, and an organic fluidity and cohesiveness to its presentation whether it be PCM or DSD.....again the breakin process is long and presumably not complete....

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Rudolph. Clarity, soundstaging, and an organic fluidity and cohesiveness to its presentation whether it be PCM or DSD.....again the breakin process is long and presumably not complete....

Great to hear! Well, not about the long break-in process. I want things NOW!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Now you need to post on my Lampi vs turntables thread

I could see a Lampi beating an inexpensive analog setup (e.g. at the same price as the Lampi) but not a high end one.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Didn't he have a channel problem is that sorted?

Anthony, have you compared GG with lower quality valves (replicas) to B7 with higher quality valves (say originals)? Wanted to know which upgrade comes first.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Didn't he have a channel problem is that sorted?

Anthony, have you compared GG with lower quality valves (replicas) to B7 with higher quality valves (say originals)? Wanted to know which upgrade comes first.

Yes, with 6a3 tubes (resolved with the high setting). He should be getting the white base 101ds about now.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
He has a SE Big7, not a Golden Gate like you have and his is a week old, so not broken in yet....

I had a SE B7 prior to the GG....and the GG changed my tune regarding TTs. That may change AGAIN with further fiddling but I have a 6 mo old and a three year old so TTs are not in my immediate future....

Floyd, break it in and tube roll. Your speakers will also dictate a lot of this....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing