Giant asteroid possibly on collision course with Earth

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
CNN

If astronomers are right, all life on this planet could be extinguished in less than 30 years from now. Scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory have detected a large object the size of Manhattan possibly on a collision course with Earth. Using their Near-Earth Object Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (NEOWISE), the 10-mile wide object was found approximately 51 million miles from Earth. Scientists believe that during a close encounter with Mars, the asteroid was nudged slightly off its usual orbit and may currently be on a high speed collision course with our fragile planet.

The asteroid is calculated to have a potentially lethal encounter with the Earth on March 35, 2041. Astronomers have placed the odds of an impact at 1 in 2.04, which is by far the most unprecedented risk ever faced to humanity, let alone from asteroids. Such an impact could potentially end civilization as we know it.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Well, that's just great. And on a Monday, no less. Time to get working again on space technology, and get to that sucker within 15 years, and change its course, into the sun!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
A one in two chance??

I don't think so. There is something wrong someplace, and not only the date of March 35th as stated in the original CNN article.

It seems like an April fools article.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
CNN said:
...Astronomers have placed the odds of an impact at 1 in 2.04...
If that were a fact, a true fact, I believe we would have every news agency in the world providing minute by minute coverage as to how to thwart this asteroid. Countries would be joining together, the world's greatest physicists, scientists and mathematicians would be gathering as we speak at the UN.....or at least something along those lines. A small article by CNN doesn't really seem credible. At least those are my immediate thoughts.

Tom

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If that were a fact, a true fact, I believe we would have every news agency in the world providing minute by minute coverage as to how to thwart this asteroid. Countries would be joining together, the world's greatest physicists, scientists and mathematicians would be gathering as we speak at the UN.....or at least something along those lines. A small article by CNN doesn't really seem credible. At least those are my immediate thoughts.

Tom

Unless, you wanted to avoid the possibility of world wide panic. OTOH,does seem to be a little "suspicious"....what's 1 in 2.04??? That's a VERY precise number, LOL.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Quick Google first found a UK article from 1970 (!) and a bunch more artcles from ca. 2006. CNN appears top be backtracking and checking out the article... Nothing obvious on the JPL asteroid watch site at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroidwatch/ and nothing on the Sentry Risk table on that site. For now, I'd take the report with a block of salt...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I hear ya' DaveyF. One would think that if they didn't want to cause worldwide panic, they wouldn't release the information at all until some kind of plan was in place. Those ARE rather precise odds. Even if the asteroid misses us on the 1.04 chance, the close proximity could knock the Earth and/or moon off it's orbit(s), possibly sending the currently steady solar system into complete chaos. Even if it missed the Earth and got the moon, humankind would be in a whole heap of trouble.

I'll raise you to a pallet of salt DonH50. ;)

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
They still won't tell us about all of the aliens that have visited this planet because they don't think people can handle the truth. Why talk about a meteor that is 30 years away from us? I just checked Snopes and it's not showing up there.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Guess I'll cancel that nursing home insurance policy.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1137095?ref=feeds/latest

CNN PRODUCER NOTE NASA has confirmed via email that this story is false. A spokewoman for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory says that the largest object detected by NEOWISE measures 3 km in diameter and poses no risk to Earth. The iReport has been removed.
- davidw, CNN iReport producer

Basically, what this means is that there is more time for interpersonal threats on WBF

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I heard from a reliable anonymous source that the largest solar flare ever recorded will occur the second Tuesday of next week and will wipe out all land- and space-based power systems. You will be safe in a submarine.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Well I guess i've got plenty of time to stock up on Tequila and Bach before sitting in a field and waiting for oblivion :D

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
:)
I heard from a reliable anonymous source that the largest solar flare ever recorded will occur the second Tuesday of next week and will wipe out all land- and space-based power systems. You will be safe in a submarine.

Paul Allen should be in good shape ...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:)

zz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing