Genesis at Salon Son et Image, Montreal

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Both Carolyn and I will be there - showing the Genesis 5.3 loudspeakers which recently got a good review by Canadian magazine The Inner Ear. We are showing with SOTA turntables, and Parasound electronics supplied by our Montreal dealer Audiophonie.

Hi Gary! You probably are familiar with UHF Magazine out of Longueuil (off-shore suburb of Montreal) and Gerard Resjkind. It's one of my fave audio reads and I respect Gerard's opinion quite a bit. If you haven't been in touch with him, might I suggest you do...it could prove to be worthwhile. Here's a link...

http://uhfmag.com/

Not a fan of the website layout, but I like their magazine.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks, John. I haven't heard of them, but have just dropped Gerard an email to come by our room if they are there.

They'll be there for sure! And good luck!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
As a special treat, we will be playing FIM test pressings of legendary recordings Esther and Autumn in Seattle. I've got the test pressings that were approved for production and will be playing them. This will be the world premier of these LPs as besides Winston, no one else has heard them.

Here's Winston with some of the test pressings of LPs that are going to be released on the FIM label.

View attachment 3223

Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra - Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture
Esther
The All Star Percussion Ensemble - Harold Farberman

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow, that is a nice setup and room Gary! That wood sculpture on the front middle wall is magnificent! And that loudspeaker is gorgeous. And that behind turntable is 'acrylicly' sumptuous.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow, that is a nice setup and room Gary! That wood sculpture on the front middle wall is magnificent! And that loudspeaker is gorgeous. And that behind turntable is 'acrylicly' sumptuous.

That is Winston Ma's legendary room.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
First day - trade/industry day, so very slow going. But finally getting good sound in the middle of the afternoon.

Here's the system - loudspeakers by Genesis, electronics by Parasound, turntable by SOTA and cables by JIB-Germany.

System..jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Looking good! Has Gerard come by yet?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looking good! Has Gerard come by yet?

Not yet. WBF members Peter B was in the room early, and a couple of others (Marc, Rene, and one more I didn't get the name of) who mentioned posts I did on this forum also came by. So, WBF is well represented in Montreal :)

If you read this on WBF, mention it to me when you come visit, and you get a free T-shirt.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not yet. WBF members Peter B was in the room early, and a couple of others (Marc, Rene, and one more I didn't get the name of) who mentioned posts I did on this forum also came by. So, WBF is well represented in Montreal :)

If you read this on WBF, mention it to me when you come visit, and you get a free T-shirt.

How about those of us who could not travel across the oceans to be there... If we mention it here, and show our support here, can we get a t-shirt? ;) Good luck!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Prob size small here!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The most played CD in the vinyl-heavy playlist has been Bach Goldberg Variations by Ito Ema on her own 1903 Steinway Model D grand piano by Todd Garfinkle of MA Recordings. He's got a few versions. One on 24bit/48kHz high rez, a CD made from that, and a CD made from the 1/2" analog tape. They both sound different, but both are excellent! Not sure which one I prefer!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just in case the answer is yes: make mine an XL please, Gary. ;-)

Hi Richard, :b

How's life in Kelowna? And how are you doing? And how come you don't post more here at WBF?

Best regards,
Bob

P.S. I might visit the Okanagan (friends from Naramata) this Summer; I'll let you know.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The most played CD in the vinyl-heavy playlist has been Bach Goldberg Variations by Ito Ema on her own 1903 Steinway Model D grand piano by Todd Garfinkle of MA Recordings. He's got a few versions. One on 24bit/48kHz high rez, a CD made from that, and a CD made from the 1/2" analog tape. They both sound different, but both are excellent! Not sure which one I prefer!!

Hi Gary,

I find your comment very interesting...that is the second time you have observed two hi-res versions of the same recording as 'different' as opposed to one being better or actually sounding the same.

Are you finding that the various elements sound different in similar ways across the various formats...or are the 'differences' changing from album to album? Just curious if formats have characteristics...or if you feel it is more variable than that...

thanks for your observations on this point...

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary,

I find your comment very interesting...that is the second time you have observed two hi-res versions of the same recording as 'different' as opposed to one being better or actually sounding the same.

Are you finding that the various elements sound different in similar ways across the various formats...or are the 'differences' changing from album to album? Just curious if formats have characteristics...or if you feel it is more variable than that...

thanks for your observations on this point...

The differences are not consistent. I don't know if it's the formats - because I have not heard two recordings using identical chain on two different format. I say identical because different mic preamps have different sounds, and if you believe in cables, the recording engineers I know all believe that even the microphone cables have different characteristics, and different combinations of microphones and cables sound different.

On this one, the differences were quite pronounced. There were two recording chains - two different mics were used: the B&K 4006 on the analog chain, and the Tonecraft 2013 on the digital chain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing