Gain Reduction without compromise

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I should attach my 'idiot' disclaimer here, but the question: let's say a line stage (one I'm interested in trying) has too much gain for the system, overall. I know some preamp/linestages have a switch to 'adjust' gain- is this simply a resistor? I'm loathe to use an in-line attenuator. How is this normally executed in a 'purist' way or is there such a thing?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
It may be simply a resistor, which is also what an attenuator includes, but the resistor may actually change the gain of an amplifier stage rather than just attenuating the output (or input). Hard to show without a picture, but visualize the resistor inside a gain block where it changes the gain, rather than in a volume control outside the gain block.

You generally want the most gain early in the system for optimum (lowest) noise but there are always trades.

This might be an interesting topic for a technical article since the where/how/why of setting gain is actually a non-trivial trade among noise, distortion, and other factors and there are different ways to do it.

HTH - Don

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I should attach my 'idiot' disclaimer here, but the question: let's say a line stage (one I'm interested in trying) has too much gain for the system, overall. I know some preamp/linestages have a switch to 'adjust' gain- is this simply a resistor? I'm loathe to use an in-line attenuator. How is this normally executed in a 'purist' way or is there such a thing?

Hi Whart...just so i understand...how much gain do you actually have? I have 31db in my amp and roughly 25db in my pre...and i dont mind it at all, even though it is on the high side, and the system is totally silent in a silent room...until my ear is within 3-5 inches of the tweeter (depending on age of the preamp tubes).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It may be simply a resistor, which is also what an attenuator includes, but the resistor may actually change the gain of an amplifier stage rather than just attenuating the output (or input). Hard to show without a picture, but visualize the resistor inside a gain block where it changes the gain, rather than in a volume control outside the gain block.

You generally want the most gain early in the system for optimum (lowest) noise but there are always trades.

This might be an interesting topic for a technical article since the where/how/why of setting gain is actually a non-trivial trade among noise, distortion, and other factors and there are different ways to do it.

HTH - Don
Makes sense, you answered my question, I think the premise here was that, with the high efficiency horns, there would be no 'range' on the volume control of the line stage. And Don, Thanks.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hi Whart...just so i understand...how much gain do you actually have? I have 31db in my amp and roughly 25db in my pre...and i dont mind it at all, even though it is on the high side, and the system is totally silent in a silent room...until my ear is within 3-5 inches of the tweeter (depending on age of the preamp tubes).

Lloyd, question came up in the context of the output of a particular line stage, given my very efficient horns. And fwiw, the Allnic phono head puts out quite a bit of gain when set to optimize loading for the Airtight cartridge. As it is, I have very little room to work with on my existing line stage- 9 o'clock is pretty loud. I think the concern was, with this other line stage, i'd have virtually no room to work with on the volume control between zero and 'too loud.'

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some preamplifiers from Audio Research could have their gain patched just putting a resistor in parallel with the existing one in the feedback loop or changing it. Unhappily changing the gain also decreased sound quality compared to the original factory setting. . We could also change the gain in early Jeff Rowland amplifiers inserting shorts in parallel with some resistors - again changing the sound characteristics.

As Don says, there are always trades in any change - my advice would be to get in touch with people at the Allnic factory about the best way to solve the problem.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, question came up in the context of the output of a particular line stage, given my very efficient horns. And fwiw, the Allnic phono head puts out quite a bit of gain when set to optimize loading for the Airtight cartridge. As it is, I have very little room to work with on my existing line stage- 9 o'clock is pretty loud. I think the concern was, with this other line stage, i'd have virtually no room to work with on the volume control between zero and 'too loud.'

Got it...yeah...if 9 o'clock is loud, then not much to play with. I am happy to play from 1 to 28 80% of the time...but on certain MFSL discs...i will bring it up to 30-35...and then when i feel like playing Rutter Pie Jesu from Reference Recordings...well, what can i say...put it to 50 and let the organ fill the room with the choral. So assuming my 50 is 12noon...well, i do have a lot of gain...but probably more flexibility than it seems you might if your equipment has too much gain.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Some preamplifiers from Audio Research could have their gain patched just putting a resistor in parallel with the existing one in the feedback loop or changing it. Unhappily changing the gain also decreased sound quality compared to the original factory setting. . We could also change the gain in early Jeff Rowland amplifiers inserting shorts in parallel with some resistors - again changing the sound characteristics.

As Don says, there are always trades in any change - my advice would be to get in touch with people at the Allnic factory about the best way to solve the problem.
Right, I don't want to screw up the sound. Just so you know, it is not a problem in relation to the Allnic phono stage, or an Allnic line stage. I can live with the output of the Allnic phono stage with the Lamm L2, but the question arose when I was discussing another possible line stage that apparently has alot of gain, given my speakers. I don't think it would be an issue for either the L3000 line stage or the elusive DHT line stage from Allnic, which I'd like to hear.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

See my other post, Lloyd, it is not really about the Allnic, but combining various components that are not Allnic. I think if I went with an Allnic line stage there probably would be no issue- indeed, if memory serves, the L3000 can be ordered with an adjustment for gain. As to the DHT, I have no idea (and that's the one I really want to hear).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
See my other post, Lloyd, it is not really about the Allnic, but combining various components that are not Allnic. I think if I went with an Allnic line stage there probably would be no issue- indeed, if memory serves, the L3000 can be ordered with an adjustment for gain. As to the DHT, I have no idea (and that's the one I really want to hear).

Well, i guess what i meant was...if you want the Allnic but with lower gain...perhaps Allnic can lower it for you by adjusting resistors?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

gain matching between components has been my biggest pet peeve. i've had preamps like the joule electra which does one better by adding or subtracting a gain stage rather than resitor networks that pad (dull) the sound. In a perfect world all amps, preamps etc would have adjustable gain to optimize the s/n and lower the noise floor of a given system w/o compromising the liveliness and dynamics.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
gain matching between components has been my biggest pet peeve. i've had preamps like the joule electra which does one better by adding or subtracting a gain stage rather than resitor networks that pad (dull) the sound. In a perfect world all amps, preamps etc would have adjustable gain to optimize the s/n and lower the noise floor of a given system w/o compromising the liveliness and dynamics.
Yep, i used a Joule for a little while while the Lamm L2 was being fixed, and noted that. Jumpers to bypass a stage.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
There is no reason a resistor pad should "dull" the sound in a good design.

Reducing the gain of a gain stage may impact its gain-bandwidth product, feedback factor, and stability as well as noise and distortion, altering the sound as was said earlier. One of those trades to be made...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing