Frustrated trying to buy new speakers...

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I have been listening to planars for almost 9 years and my new house is forcing me to get something smaller. So, I have been hitting the local audio stores but have been coming up short. They have only the usual stand-bys such as Wilson, B&W, Sonus Faber but have very limited ability or willingness for home auditions (none of which are my cup of tea). The largest dealer in town is only "willing" if I am very close to purchasing one of their brands and the inference was buy first and then we can exchange if you aren't happy. Those that are openly willing don't have the selection that interests me enough to make it worthwhile.

How does one go about hearing brands such as Magico, Raidho, TAD, or Evolution Acoustics to just name a few these days? It seems like I am being forced to buy a used pair off of audiogon so that I don't get killed by depreciation and just flip them if I don't like how they sound.

Have you played your current planar speakers in your new room yet? What model planar speakers do you currently have?

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Long time Maggie owner/fan.... my first box speaker was a Joseph Audio RM25si Loved that speaker and all of Jeff Joseph's speakers.

If I didn't have the Wilson's now, I'd either get TAD or Magico. Forget about the others on your list.

Any particular reason you are suggesting removal of those "other" manufacturers from the list?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
On hearing the speakers, contact the manufacturers. Likely they have some customer in your region that can do demos, or they may have reps that come and visit once in a while.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Scooter and Scouter have me a little confused reading this thread. :)

If you can't get a demo, then buy at the lowest price possible, notwithstanding dealer geography.
My favorite Wilson speaker is the Duette. I think it's the best Wilson I've heard. I'm a sucker for 2 ways. I also like the EA micro one and Raidho d1 (got a recommended from hifi critic last month). I think the YG Carmel is still my favorite 2 way speaker.

Last edited:

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Write them out a check for a few $$$ grand

Wives or wife - just be a total sweetheart to them.

Write them out a check for a few $$$ grand; tell them to go get some clothes or the appropriate noun.

AND quietly mention that you will be purchasing some different speakers.

Works for me.

zz.

P.S. I can show this post to my wife with no problems. Our whole house is one big workshop, and she keeps getting checks.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

If you can't get a demo, then buy at the lowest price possible, notwithstanding dealer geography.
My favorite Wilson speaker is the Duette. I think it's the best Wilson I've heard. I'm a sucker for 2 ways. I also like the EA micro one and Raidho d1 (got a recommended from hifi critic last month). I think the YG Carmel is still my favorite 2 way speaker.

The only problem with the YG Carmel is finding one used on Agon.

Unfortunately, don't see many. Probably a reason for that.

Question is does the OP want a full range speaker or not.

All the above don't do much below 50HZ or so but maybe I'm wrong.

GG

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Scooter,
I don't want to sound as if I'm telling you things you don't already know, but in my experience there are no real shortcuts on buying speakers unless you are lucky enough to hear some which you are almost certain are just right for your room and system.
I started with a reasonable size short list, read as many reviews of them as possible from a range of established reviewers. Given the size of your listening room European reviews should be just as relevant. That should enable you to shorten the list of speakers to concentrate on.
Trying to hear them is the next task obviously and if there is a problem getting home demos try to hear them wherever you can. If they sound good in those settings they should work in your room unless any of the reviews indicate otherwise. If you can get a fairly new used or ex demo pair they are usually a good buy.
That's basically what I did when I settled on the Carmels after a 12 month search. Having read the rave reviews I heard them at Munich and was hugely impressed. I did some more research over the next 12 months including some new possibilities, heard them again at Munich the next year and found a 2 year old ex dem pair in Croatia through Audiogon. Checked out the seller thoroughly and bought them.
They have been superb in my 21x12 lounge and have borne out the reviewers verdicts.
Patience, as they say, is a virtue despite the attendant frustrations!
Barry

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Write them out a check for a few $$$ grand; tell them to go get some clothes or the appropriate noun.

Works for me.

zz.

P.S. I can show this post to my wife with no problems. Our whole house is one big workshop, and she keeps getting checks.

That's hilarious!

I'm thrilled that a works for you so easily.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Scouter here, (names from my now deceased cavalier King Charles spaniel, his pic as my photo)
I had YG Carmels for several years in a small room, and they, like Magicos are very tolerant on room placement compared to many speakers. GREAT speakers, and I second a recommendation to visit Bill Parrish to hear them if a dealer isn't close by. Carmel's are seamless, easy to drive, soundstage champs, and actually sound like they go lower than specs. My only issue with them is while they are a great speaker, they don't have the immediacy or transparency of a planar, IMHO. I've not heard the Radho or TAD, but eventually purchased Magicos due to their transparency , and I believe they come close to planars in a certain sound but are less particular in placement. That was why I recommended them, but listen before buying anything- too much $ to purchase something so tied to personal opinion, mine or anyone else's.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
The wall in question supports multiple loads from multiple directions with several stories on top of it including two porches and a flat roof that is cantelievered. Yes, you can do a lot with steel which is what they did to build the house in the first place.

"If in doubt, there is no doubt".

MY impression - correct me if I am wrong: very nice, enjoyable house, in excellent location, probably LOVE it overall - so good decision.

Therefore, make the most of it; listen nearfield [or is it near field].

Now about the auditioning for the best nearfield. I find most audio stores are only keeping one major speaker set in the high end audio room & changing out as necessary. SO, do NOT listen to the speakers in the MAXIMIZED treated room [that can cover many speaker flaws anyway - or should I say "whatever"]. Audition them in the front of the store near the entry way hopefully with big glass windows. Now you do want them to know you are serious, so if you can, dress & drive serious - make an appointment.

Make them Jump & UP & Down to make a possible sale.

Do NOT get snookered.

zz.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
So to answer a few of the comments:

Old room approx 550 sq ft. New room approx 230 sq ft. Both have ceilings slightly < 9 ft.

Old room - dedicated. New room - dedicated... i.e. wife doesn't care what the speakers look like. I thought I could expand the new media room 10' but it turns out that the house would fall over if I did that. I kind of screwed myself when buying the house as I thought I could make it work until the architect crushed my soul after we moved in.

Use the living room - Would love to do that but I don't have a living room. Its a contemporary house with a very open floor plan with lots of glass (and I mean lots). The dedicated diminutive media room is all I have to work with.

Flying around to audition speakers still doesn't help in evaluating what something will sound like in my house. Hence my thought of picking up something on Audiogon. There is a set of Raidho C3 and TAD CR1 from dealers available now... I know both have been upgraded with new models but if I am forced to gamble, one could do a lot worse.
Hi Scooter,
In case it's helpful there is a nice silver pair of Carmels for sale on Audiogon for $7,850.
Dealer trade in.
Barry

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
I was a longtime ESL user (Audiostatic), moved first to Sonus Faber Guarneri, and then finally ended up with Merlin VSM Master speakers, that do it for me. I am a violinist and listen mostly classical or acoustic jazz. Perfect for that. There is a very similar feel of space and resolution, probably due to that spectacular tweeter and simple design. Highly recommended (no affiliation.) For context: I did hear the little TAD's and appreciate their qualities, without needing to change. But good electronics apreciated (Berning in my case)

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Are your planar speakers time and phase coherent?
Do you think you can adapt to listening to a pair of speakers that are not T&P coherent?

Works for me.

zz.

A happy happy wife means a good life.:D

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I'm not fan of small speakers. Nice small for me are…taxes and Asian girls. Speakers and cars, i like big, but i listened some small speakers. Most was…only small with small sound, Raidho was very good but the best was TAD CR1. I was surprised of sound. They sounds like big, high end speakers. They are great!!

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Auditioning Speakers

How does one go about hearing brands such as Magico, Raidho, TAD, or Evolution Acoustics to just name a few these days? It seems like I am being forced to buy a used pair off of audiogon so that I don't get killed by depreciation and just flip them if I don't like how they sound.

I am inferring that you live near a metropolitan area. At any rate, go to a show like Axpona, CES, RMAF. On their respective websites you'd be able to see the list of exhibitors in advance of going in order to determine if your list of candidates will be attending.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

This has been exactly my approach with all things audio. For speakers it does not quite work anymore once you have 1800lbs worth of crates and speaker set up, like I do. With the more modestly sized speakers, this is a very good approach though.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
This has been exactly my approach with all things audio. For speakers it does not quite work anymore once you have 1800lbs worth of crates and speaker set up, like I do. With the more modestly sized speakers, this is a very good approach though.
Me too!
Listened to the YG Carmels two years running at Munich High End, read all the reviews and found an ex dem pair in Zagreb and had them shipped to the UK. Might be more difficult I guess if the speakers you fancy are fussy about positioning and room. I'm delighted with my purchase so good luck with your hunt

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi I love planars and ESLs, but if you want something that will give you the midrange and will look good too and fit into a small room, try the Verity Audio speakers. Their latest model Leonore is as good if not better with midrange, the veritiy's don't boom in small rooms, are easy to drive and set up.

I have been listening to planars for almost 9 years and my new house is forcing me to get something smaller. So, I have been hitting the local audio stores but have been coming up short. They have only the usual stand-bys such as Wilson, B&W, Sonus Faber but have very limited ability or willingness for home auditions (none of which are my cup of tea). The largest dealer in town is only "willing" if I am very close to purchasing one of their brands and the inference was buy first and then we can exchange if you aren't happy. Those that are openly willing don't have the selection that interests me enough to make it worthwhile.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing