Frankie

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
In another thread, we were discussing Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax and mep suggested that we post YouTube videos of our system playing the track.

To kick off.... here's mine.

I had the PNWAS Exco meeting here in the Genesis factory last night and someone suggested at the end of the meeting that I play some rock. This is the original UK pressing Relax Sex Mix from the 45 rpm single. You can see the album is not in the best shape. I had the volume set so that it would average 100dB with 106dB peaks. I left the room before the music started.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Gary-I thought this idea died on the vine so I'm happy you took it seriously. I know my computer speakers suck, but listening to this recording over my computer was sad in comparison to how I know this LP sounds. I will firmly place the blame on my computer speakers. The kick drum which should be punching a hole through your chest sounds like someone is beating on cardboard. I do believe that my copy is cleaner than yours and it's not warped like yours. Hopefully this weekend I will make a copy of my LP and post it and let the chips fall where they may. I hope that other people who actually have a decent setup to listen to Youtube videos will chime in and tell us how your recording actually sounds. I certainly can't do it justice over my computer. This LP is a real torture test over a really good system, let alone over computer speakers.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Mark, I don't think that it's your computer speakers...... I played the Youtube video over the speakers I made the recording on, and it was really sad. I gave it the best I could (I'm not a videographer or a recording engineer) - using a Canon 5D Mk II with an external hot-shoe mounted mic - the Audio Technica AT8022.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great you guys, now I have to go through my collection of 12" 45rpms to find more torture dance disks!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Gary-I have tried to make the videos sound good as well. I have the Nikon D5100 camera and I bought the hot-shoe Nikon microphone thinking it should be much better than the built-in microphone, but it still rolls the bass off like crazy. And who knows how much compression is used by YouTube? I actually think my old Sony Cybershot camera had a better microphone. However, some people seem to record some very decent sounding YouTube videos, but Frankie is an ass-kicker.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think that we just got our ass kicked by Frankie. I thought that the Canon 5D had a great reputation as an excellent HD camera that even movies were made with it. The built-in mic was crap, so I did my research and bought the best hot-shoe mounted mic I could find - the AT8022. But it all still sounds so sad.

I'm going to try some other videos and see if may be it's just Frankie.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
In another thread, we were discussing Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax and mep suggested that we post YouTube videos of our system playing the track.

To kick off.... here's mine.

Gary do you want some milk to go with your rice krispies? PM me your addy and i'll mail you my copy, i dont listen to and its much cleaner than yours.

imho, the redbook version is better the bass hits harder. i know that recording well, back in the day it was a popular demo piece for the 'bass jacuzzi' autosound guys.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing