For those who have experience with both CJ and ARC integrated amps

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
I recently sold my vintage tube separates and am using a VTL IT85. (60 WPC EL34 integrated) As good as I find the VTL I'd prefer a tube integrated that offered a warmer, more forgiving presentation. Speakers are Guarneri Homage. My budget is limited and I've narrowed my choices down to either CJ CAV45-S2 or the new ARC I/50, or possibly a used ARC VSi75. I want a mainstream made in America product, primarily for resale value and access to service. I've tried a PrimaLuna EVO300 and it left me ambivalent. I've not heard Rogue nor Quicksilver but again, prefer to purchase a more "major" brand- no offense to either of those two fine companies.

I did listen to a MAC MA352 powering small Wilson's but I couldn't judge from that, and of course, the MA352 is a hybrid. I'm aware that general consensus is that CJ is more "tubey" than ARC. I'm trying to arrange a home demo of both.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
The new I 50 is a great sounding product. I just bought a couple of months ago. The VSi75 is now discontinued and can be had for a great price ($7,500), but it is now 10 year old technology.

Reactions: paolo

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
The new I 50 is a great sounding product. I just bought a couple of months ago. The VSi75 is now discontinued and can be had for a great price ($7,500), but it is now 10 year old technology.
Thanks. What gear are you running with your I/50?

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Von Schweikert Endeavor E-3 Mk II, Aurender N150 streamer, RME ADI-2 DAC FS DAC. No analog. Just got the Von Schweikerts moving from Harbeth P3 ESR XD.

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
I am looking for a bit more power, and have been looking at the VSi75 and VAC 170iq. The I50 has an amazingly low noise floor.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
ARC integrated amplifiers are mainly a power amplifier with a passive volume control and switching capabilities at the input. Do you use many sources or just one? A GS150 or a REF150SE with a passive preamplifier would be a great match to the Guarneri's - they love power.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
ARC integrated amplifiers are mainly a power amplifier with a passive volume control and switching capabilities at the input. Do you use many sources or just one? A GS150 or a REF150SE with a passive preamplifier would be a great match to the Guarneri's - they love power.
Hello Sir,
Increasingly, I'm streaming and my lovely Linn sits idle more often than not. Lately, I'm vacillating between keeping the TT or selling it. My vintage tube gear (beefy monoblocks) sounded wonderful with the GH's, so perhaps I should be looking for more power. I hadn't even considered getting a bigger amp mated with a passive pre. So thanks very much for your suggestion.

The more time I spend streaming music, the more I figure that sooner rather than later, it will be my primary source, only using the CDP on rare occasions, and either donating or selling the rest of my vinyl collection along with the Linn. The vinyl ritual lost most of its appeal quite some time ago. Cleaning records is a PITA, and goodness knows, I've cleaned a lot of 'em. It can be hazardous to your health, as well. :)

VAC

Industry Expert
Aug 16, 2022
Sarasota, Florida USA
www.vac-amps.com
The VAC Sigma 170i is distinguished by the presence of an all tube line stage ahead of the volume control, and an optional all tube phono stage.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Update: I decided to sell the VTL IT85. I'd found an almost new CJ CAV45-S2 so had a chance to compare both fine components in my home.The CJ is still breaking in, but overall I preferred it to the VTL. I was happy that the fellow who bought the VTL was a big fan of the marque and planned to pair it with his VTL 85 amp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Update: I decided to sell the VTL IT85. I'd found an almost new CJ CAV45-S2 so had a chance to compare both fine components in my home.The CJ is still breaking in, but overall I preferred it to the VTL. I was happy that the fellow who bought the VTL was a big fan of the marque and planned to pair it with his VTL 85 amp.
Congrats! A 20-year owner of CJ here and enormous admirer of their designs over the years. "It just sounds right." is a true reflection of their ethos.

Reactions: tima and paolo

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
A bit of an update. I recently found a pair of Maggie MMG's for essentially audio pocket change. They came with MYE stands and had been nicely and neatly modded by a previous owner. Out of curiosity I hooked the CJ CAV 45 up to the planars and was I pleasantly surprised. :) I've also got a single REL T5x paired with the MMG's. SYNERGY!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing