Who loves her/his Pathos Logos MKII Hybrid Integrated?

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
I'm finally done dealing with my vintage tube separates. Those who have endured the joys, trials, tribulations, and expense will understand. The amps may wind up as boat anchors, but that's another story.

I'm looking for an "endgame" integrated to power my SF Guarneri Homage, and occasional use of Maggie .7's. My goal is to declutter and simplify my life. I now am using a Pathos Classic One MKIII and like it. It may wind up being a keeper. My fixed income budget is around $5K which I could stretch a bit. Sound levels in my small room rarely exceed 80db average.

In addition to moving up in the Pathos line, I'm also looking at Rogue, Cary, Quicksilver, Black Ice (yep) Audio Hungary, and a few others. I tried a Prima Luna Evo 300 integrated but for whatever reasons, I could not bond with it.

Thanks in advance.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I'm finally done dealing with my vintage tube separates. Those who have endured the joys, trials, tribulations, and expense will understand. The amps may wind up as boat anchors, but that's another story.

I'm looking for an "endgame" integrated to power my SF Guarneri Homage, and occasional use of Maggie .7's. My goal is to declutter and simplify my life. I now am using a Pathos Classic One MKIII and like it. It may wind up being a keeper. My fixed income budget is around $5K which I could stretch a bit. Sound levels in my small room rarely exceed 80db average.

In addition to moving up in the Pathos line, I'm also looking at Rogue, Cary, Quicksilver, Black Ice (yep) Audio Hungary, and a few others. I tried a Prima Luna Evo 300 integrated but for whatever reasons, I could not bond with it.

Thanks in advance.
Absolare Signature Integrated ;) --I own SFG Homages and that Amp was one of the finest I've heard with the original SFGH'S--can't vouch for the
current crop SFG's which don't interest me.
Good luck,
BruceD

Reactions: Andrew S. and paolo

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK

Thanks in advance.
I was never totally sold on valve / tube amps but used a few SETs over 15 years with my Avantgarde speakers. I decided to look for a solid state amp that sounded at least as good, so bought or home tested a dozen ss alternatives - some power, some integrated and some all-in-ones - some Class A, AB and D - prices from £3-8K thereabouts.

I avoid cables if possible so integrated and all-in-ones had an advantage - with you too I suspect.

After 2 years of testing amps from Accuphase, Sugden, Mark Levinson, Micromega. Benchmark, Quad, Diavelet, GamuT, Lyngdorf, Bakoon, Valvet, I found the NAD M32 met my needs very well indeed. This now changed for the even better M33 powering my Avantgarde Duo XD speakers, but also good with electrostatics. It costs around £4K, requires no cables apart from speakers lines, has MM / MC input if required, streamer, excellent control app, Dirac Live DSP, headphone out and a big touch screen to show what you're listening to. Short of spending 3+ times the cost, I doubt you'd get better sound elsewhere. Winner of 3 Stereophile Best of awards for what that’s worth. NAD offers a slightly lower spec 2 box alternative using the same Purifi amp module - C658 + C298 at a lower price.

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Pathos does great circuit design but uses some relatively cheap components (as most amp manufacturers do). The Logos could be improved significantly with the kind of mods/upgrades I did on my Pathos TT RR (see link below). The good news for me was that the factory was willing to share what they've experimented with and assist with my upgrade project. Upgrade a great (in stock form) integrated amp to this extent and you won't need to think again about separates.

Last edited:

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
I know the Lagos well and think it is a fine amplifier. I'd own one without hesitation. drives difficult loads, incidentally.

Reactions: paolo

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I was never totally sold on valve / tube amps but used a few SETs over 15 years with my Avantgarde speakers. I decided to look for a solid state amp that sounded at least as good, so bought or home tested a dozen ss alternatives - some power, some integrated and some all-in-ones - some Class A, AB and D - prices from £3-8K thereabouts.

I avoid cables if possible so integrated and all-in-ones had an advantage - with you too I suspect.

After 2 years of testing amps from Accuphase, Sugden, Mark Levinson, Micromega. Benchmark, Quad, Diavelet, GamuT, Lyngdorf, Bakoon, Valvet, I found the NAD M32 met my needs very well indeed. This now changed for the even better M33 powering my Avantgarde Duo XD speakers, but also good with electrostatics. It costs around £4K, requires no cables apart from speakers lines, has MM / MC input if required, streamer, excellent control app, Dirac Live DSP, headphone out and a big touch screen to show what you're listening to. Short of spending 3+ times the cost, I doubt you'd get better sound elsewhere. Winner of 3 Stereophile Best of awards for what that’s worth. NAD offers a slightly lower spec 2 box alternative using the same Purifi amp module - C658 + C298 at a lower price.
Well you have tried quite a few! thanks for sharing, The Nad certainly looks very cool as well, I think you have planted a seed there, I love my allnic but the room does become rather warm in the summer months.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
I just checked in. Forgive my tardiness. Thanks so much to all of you for your contributions, which I will study and absorb. I am beginning to suspect that my "love," interest in tube amps is more nostalgic than anything else. The nostalgia is due to maintaining, for all too many years, a pair of mono tube amps. More later, and thanks again. Keep 'em coming lads. This is an audio forum where a person can actually get civil responses from smart folks who have real-world experience.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Tubes deteriorate in sound quality very quickly.if you can afford to change them often it’s fine.
Having used tube gear for decades, I beg to differ, The problem for me is the increasing unreliability of my vintage tube gear. It's not the tubes, those I know how to troubleshoot and deal with, it's the other parts like capacitors that keep failing and brittle solder connections, and goodness knows what else.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound

Hmmmm, that NAD M33 bears looking into! Thank you.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Absolare Signature Integrated ;) --I own SFG Homages and that Amp was one of the finest I've heard with the original SFGH'S--can't vouch for the
current crop SFG's which don't interest me.
Thanks, Bruce. I just checked the price of the Absolare Signature, and it's a bit more than I can handle. Actually, quite a bit more! :)

Reactions: Andrew S.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio

Thanks in advance.
You might consider the Circle Labs A200 hybrid integrated. NOS valve pre, powerful SS amp. Ridiculously well built. http://www.circlelabs.eu/a200_en

Industry disclosure: I import Circle Labs products into North America.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks, Bruce. I just checked the price of the Absolare Signature, and it's a bit more than I can handle. Actually, quite a bit more! :)

Good afternoon Paolo

I hope this finds you well.

Here some other options: Lavardin IT or ITX, the Sonneteer Alabaster.

The Sonneteer Alabaster I am told punches well above its price tag.

But if a secondhand Lagos should come your way - I wouldn't hesitate. That said - I am intrigued by the NAD M32 recommended above.

Last edited:

Stefan

Oct 4, 2013
Johannesburg
Hi Paulo,
Heads up, I have been the Pathos importer in South Africa for nearly 25 years as well as using a Pathos TT for the same period almost on a daily basis. So I could be biased ;)

The Logos has been in production for a very long time and only updated to the current Mkii and as such, it is one of the most mature, well sorted and reliable designs out there. The valve life span is excellent and the cost of running the valves are negligible.

As for the sound, I would say it is well balanced, musical and I have not had a customer who was not happy with its performance. It excels in the midrange with a supple bass that is not what the Krell lovers would prefer. Nor is it all about the details but more at painting a realistic holistic sound picture that is well saturated(something I personally value).

The amp looks stunning and it turns heads even after all these years. The pride of ownership is high.

Within the Pathos range, I do think you could look at the INPOL2 amplifier as well. Don't be put off by the low output power. It is single-ended and full class A and Pathos often reminds me the Inpol amplifiers can drive almost any speaker. They often have used B&W 800 series in design and testing.

The SF Gueneri Homoage is a stunning speaker with a musical sound not easily surpassed even today and I think the Pathos voicing will complement the masterpiece of Serblin Franco.

Kind regards
Stefan
Airmusic importers of fine hifi (Accuphase, Copland, Holo Audio, Pathos, Proac, Roso Fiorentino and Shindo)

Reactions: paolo and Andrew S.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Heads up, I have been the Pathos importer in South Africa for nearly 25 years as well as using a Pathos TT for the same period almost on a daily basis. So I could be biased
Hi Stefan,
I very much appreciate your comments and insights. At this point I'm planning on selling my Pathos Classic One MKIII. Can you kindly speak further about the Inpol vs the Logos? I'll do further research including contacting Pathos directly.

Yes, the Guarneri Homage are beautiful. I never expected to find a pair and was not even looking when I stumbled across them.

And thank all you other folks who've been kind enough to contribute. :) Cheers!

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Hello Andrew,
Thanks for mentioning the Lavardin IT or ITX, the Sonneteer Alabaster. I think they're a bit too esoteric for even me! I did cursory research and did not see that US dealer Lavardin references on its website listed Larvardin on its website.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Hi Paulo,
Heads up, I have been the Pathos importer in South Africa for nearly 25 years as well as using a Pathos TT for the same period almost on a daily basis. So I could be biased ;)

The Logos has been in production for a very long time and only updated to the current Mkii and as such, it is one of the most mature, well sorted and reliable designs out there. The valve life span is excellent and the cost of running the valves are negligible.

As for the sound, I would say it is well balanced, musical and I have not had a customer who was not happy with its performance. It excels in the midrange with a supple bass that is not what the Krell lovers would prefer. Nor is it all about the details but more at painting a realistic holistic sound picture that is well saturated(something I personally value).

The amp looks stunning and it turns heads even after all these years. The pride of ownership is high.

Within the Pathos range, I do think you could look at the INPOL2 amplifier as well. Don't be put off by the low output power. It is single-ended and full class A and Pathos often reminds me the Inpol amplifiers can drive almost any speaker. They often have used B&W 800 series in design and testing.

The SF Gueneri Homoage is a stunning speaker with a musical sound not easily surpassed even today and I think the Pathos voicing will complement the masterpiece of Serblin Franco.

Kind regards
Stefan
Airmusic importers of fine hifi (Accuphase, Copland, Holo Audio, Pathos, Proac, Roso Fiorentino and Shindo)
Stephan

I'm interested in your take on the Pathos Logos and INPOL2 amplifiers. I also note that you are an Accuphase dealer too.

I owned the Accuphase A-36 for a year or so and quite liked it. The featuers (adjustable gain, meters, build quality, etc) are great but in the end I felt the sound a little too soft for my liking - with Avantgarde horn speakers - so sold it rather reluctantly.

I don't need much power and I'm currently using (and thoroughly enjoying) the NAD M33 powering my Duo XD speakers. However, I'm always looking for improvements and I'd really like your take on the Pathos amps vs the Accuphase A series ones. I'd actually quite like an integrated with tube pre but ss power stage, but would consider fully tube for occasional, more critical liatening if it proved better than my Purifi-based Class D amp. Thanks. Peter

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Hear Here

Thanks for asking those questions. I am interested in the answers as well. This thread is getting even better.:) I just spoke with someone about the Logos and liked what he had to say.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing