Floorstanding loudspeaker recommendation

Ratbastrd

Feb 23, 2017
So after testing a few integrated amp / speaker combo's, I found a screaming deal on a Mark Levinson 585.5 that was too good to pass up. Having not had a chance to demo anything with the ML, I am trying to narrow down my search and looking for advice on loudspeakers. Understand that demo'ing is the best way to go, but as we all know this is really tough right now. I'm going to try to narrow this down to simplify the task.

About me: I'm not an audiophile and this is not a grail quest. Looking to land in the 90%tile, bang for buck is key. Listen to wide range of music, generally low to mid volumes.

My preference is fairly neutral to warm, I prefer a relaxed sound vs a bright or punchy. I tend to hear muddy (behind the curtains) or harsh (distortion) first, if I can't get past that, I tune out. My preference would be a highly musical presentation with a lots of transparency, that is presented in a relaxed and slightly warm manner. Worked for a transducer manufacturer for several years in past life. Many hours in high-end listening rooms listening to speakers getting tuned, so I am familiar with the concept of a neutral presentation

Budget <$10K (new or used)
Room: 14x20, listening across the narrow end of room. Unfortunately there is a lot of furniture, a hallway and other surfaces that are likely to convolute sound. Thus looking for a speaker that is relatively easy to place, downward firing woofer vs rear ports????
Asthetics: Nothing too outlandish, not a big fan of the 70's B movie designs. The speakers should also be pleasing to the eye.
ML specs: OUTPUT POWER: 200W RMS per channel @ 8?, 20Hz – 20kHz • FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20Hz – 20kHz, ±0.13dB; 2Hz – 250kHz, +0.2dB/–3dB • SIGNAL-TO-NOISE RATIO: >98dB (20Hz – 20kHz, unweighted) TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION: <0.01% @ 1kHz, 200W, 8?; <0.1% @ 20kHz, 200W, 8?

Current consideration: Spendor D9.2, Devore 9's, Wilson Benesch square 5 (used).

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
My favorite <$10K current speakers are Wilson Audio Tune Tots, but have not heard any of the speakers on your list. I have been very happy with my Paradigm Tributes so for a "bang for buck" floor stander, maybe the Paradigm Persona 3F.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
The persona is my current favorite passive speaker and would be plenty for a 14x20 room, but is the ML enough to give them a neutral to warm presentation? Clear, fast, and articulate that pull you in with their amazing detail. A used pair of VA Liszt's might do.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
The Persona 3F are similar to the Tributes. The ML will have no trouble driving the 3Fs. I have used several 200W amps (ARC DSI200, Classe 2200, Anthem MCA20), currently the Anthem.

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
I would recommend used Joseph Audio Perspective speakers. When the come up for sale they run about $7K. They are 8 ohm and have wide dispersion. They look nice--the wood veneering is well done--and have a small footprint. Your amps will be fine with them IMO. I have run them with a 150W integrated and a 250W integrated without feeling like they needed more power. Musical yes, however, "lots" of transparency is not how I would characterize them--but I think they are equal in transparency to the Spendors and Devores you have on your short list.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
That ML 585.5 looks stunning. I heard the 585 and thought it sounded like the big monoblocks at typical listening levels. nevermind the persona unless they can go along the long wall. You could pick up a used pair of salon 2's for 1/2 price and find a market if they don't work in your room. I resols mine and broke even. The new Yamaha ns5000 at musicdirect is $15k but might be worth the reach. Usher makes some speakers that would def fall in the neutral to warm class. Dynaudio used C4, $10k all day on AG have a narrow sweet spot but the spot is sweet.

Reactions: Ratbastrd

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
That amp can drive most speakers and is tonally on the warmer side. I have listened to it driving the Revel Studio IIs and the newer Performa3 226BEs. I very much like it with the Studio IIs. Revel is just a hair bright of neutral so with that amp you will land about neutral. You should be able to get used Studio IIs on budget.

Spendor D7.2 and D9.2 are warmer speakers. I like them a lot and have a customer that has a pair of D7.2s on order at the moment. They are definitely a neutral speakers so paired with the Levinson amp you will get a warmer sound profile.

Wilson Benesch is an amazing speaker. Even older models like the Square 5. It is a more natural sound compared to some others and should land you in a place that will make you happy. For newer WBs, you would be looking at stand-mounts like the P-1 which incidentally is an insanely good speaker.

The VonSchweikert Endeavor E-3 MK2 is a good sounding speaker and would do really well in your space though I think it is kind of ugly. I

Scansonic MB5-B or MB6-Bs would work well though they are a touch brighter (will sound about neutral with a 585.5) and the key to successful setup with them is giving them a few feet of space behind.

Audiovector R3 is a tremendous speaker that is very natural sounding and with the 585.5 will land to the warm side of Neutral. Read Andrew Quints review in TAS. Really phenomenal product.

I have no experience with the Devores.

Good luck

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I had the opportunity to listen to the Persona 3F this week and they are a very good sounding speaker. I was truly surprised at how they sounded. I was a Paradigm dealer 10 years ago and these are far better and neutral than their old stuff. They are full range, easy to play and to listen to for a long time.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Check out Sonner speakers. They sound really great. On the warm side. Definitely not distorted. Also a very nice looking speaker—well veniered. The ML would drive any of the Sonners without issue. And they are all in your budget.

of course there is the recently reviewed Rosso Fiorentino elba 2. Also a knock it out of the park speaker for $5k

Reactions: JAB

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
My preference is fairly neutral to warm, I prefer a relaxed sound vs a bright or punchy.
Have you tried Sonus Faber speakers? Fits what you describe and very enjoyable. I might suggest the Olympica line, which have sounded very good at shows and fit your price range.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing