Ferenc Fricsay 1914.1963

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have more than once referred in WBF that one recording I often use for system evaluation is DG Bartok Piano Concertos (Ferenck Fricsay conductor http://fricsay.net/inde.htm , Geza Anda piano). In the appropriate high-end system, I have found that this recording can create an unique experience, mainly due to the relationship between the piano and the orchestra in the low level parts, and the emotion this can transmit. Unfortunately, in most systems this recording only sounds average or even of poor quality. You can imagine my surprise when I read in this month Gramophone an article about Ferenc Fricsay - a great conductor who unfortunately died at 48 years old - stating what I have been feeling for years, but unable to transmit. Peter Poole, a violinist who played these concertos with Fricsay and Anza reports "I´ll never forget the hushed sound he obtained in the slow movement of Bartok Second Piano Concerto, which we were performing with Geza Anda. It was astonishing and terrifying to play. I don't recall anyone before or since who created such a spell-blindingly intense pianissimo from an orchestra."

The good news is that to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Ferenc Fricsay DG is issuing his whole heritage - 45 CDs including some rarely available material.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 451

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I listen to a 24/48 file of this recording. In the slower parts of the Bartok piano concertos the strings have a very special (read: beautiful) sheen that I find very touching. Anda was a very special pianist as well. A real shame that he died relative young under such tragic circumstances.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Listen in particular to the second part (adagio-presto-adagio) of Bartok's second piano concerto: so beautiful (played) and at the same time so mysterious. Bartok was a real genius.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I listen to a 24/48 file of this recording. In the slower parts of the Bartok piano concertos the strings have a very special (read: beautiful) sheen that I find very touching. Anda was a very special pianist as well. A real shame that he died relative young under such tragic circumstances.

Can I ask you where you got the 24/48 file? I was never able to find a mint copy of the LPs, the set I got must have been played hundreds of times with a dubious stylus!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
microstrip

While we have our (very rare ;) ) disagreements, I like your tastes in music. Thanks just nabbed it on Amazon, those re-issues are a trove of music for not much ... Thanks again

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Inter alia on qobuz.com

Search on this website under "studio masters" for high res files

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
On pristineclassical.com the three piano concertos can be bought this week with a 20% discount, that is eur 12 in total.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
I still rate Fricsay's Beethoven 9th as one of my all time favourites, with possibly the best 3rd and 4th movements ever.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for pointing this review Loyd, I will get them as soon as possible. This is a great recording, the standard CD version is superb.

Enjoy! I have the CD in my Amazon cart...

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
For those who are interested: High Definition Tape Transfers released in inter alia dsd 128 the piano concertos nos. 2 and 3 of Bela Bartok by Géza Anda on the piano and Ferenc Fricsay as conducter.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
For those who are interested: High Definition Tape Transfers released in inter alia dsd 128 the piano concertos nosz. 2 and 3 of Bela Bartok by Géza Anda on the piano and Ferenc Fricsay as conducter.

Thanks, these are great news. Can we find the technical details about the transfer anywhere?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks, these are great news. Can we find the technical details about the transfer anywhere?

The info on the website of High Definition Tape Transfer is all there is (as far as I know). Rather little info I am afraid.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing