Falling Skies-The Official Trailer

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think the series is OK so far -- passable summer pulp fun. But it ain't no Battlestar Galactica which had a similar survival story -- none of the urgency, momentum, frequent major plot twists, and character definition. It's the latter that I'm most surprised about -- a lot of faces on FS but only a couple of characters feel sharply delineated. AFAIC, BSG was the most gutsy and compelling show I've seen in the last 10 years at least -- till the end it retained its capacity to surprise.

And Chicago has the Luvabulls. But if the Laker girls aren't the best in the league what's the point of LA? :)

when it comes to sports cheer leaders, there are the Laker Girls and the Dallas Cowgirls. All else is secondary :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
when it comes to sports cheer leaders, there are the Laker Girls and the Dallas Cowgirls. All else is secondary :)

True that:

That says it all !! :)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

100% agreement.

And I think the digression is indicative of how mildly compelling FS is.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
100% agreement.

And I think the digression is indicative of how mildly compelling FS is.

Rob

That was a harsh call to reality! There is potential considering the available technology, cast, producers and premises.. So far .. Truly ho-hum at least for me .. When's the next episode?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Speaking of Laker girls, I suddenly recall Paula Abdul being one before she became real famous.

The attire then was quite conservative by today's standards. ;)

And btw, back to the series at hand, the episodes on TNT don't work over here, but strangely, the commercial of a car is always working. Gotta find that youtube guy again. ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Paula was the start of making the Laker Girls what they are especially the choreography

Match the dancing and 'showtime' basketball, the Forum was really alive all the time then.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Rob

That was a harsh call to reality! There is potential considering the available technology, cast, producers and premises.. So far .. Truly ho-hum at least for me .. When's the next episode?

Sorry to return to the thread topic :)

Just saw the most recent episode -- some unusual stuff at work (or not) for this kind of ensemble series.

- Virtually no subplots yet and we're already through episode 4. Almost no other threads developed at all, character or story, beyond the issue at hand of saving the kids (now done for the time being and stretched over 3 episodes as the main issue), and the overall of survival. No hints of mystery or intrigue, plants for future episodes. For ex. -- they did very little with the captured alien -- we/they learned about the radio waves (unresolved for future use, mild intrigue) and killing thru the mouth. Not much story mileage out of the capture.

- Some small character subplots, mostly romantic w/o any story attached: Noah Wyle/ the Doc, Noahs' son and the blond biker chick (high school sweetheart captured in #3 seems forgotten). A little bit of conflict between Will Patton (commander) and Noah, but they're on good terms now.

- Only other wisp of a subplot is Will P popping some pills -- we'll see if that's anything other than him dealing w/the pain of lost children.

Usually by this time you'd have a few or more storylines going (think Lost, BSG, etc) creating multiple intrigues and places to go/crosscut within an episode. FS has been single minded on the kids for three episodes now (though this is done), with little else going on. This is a good chunk of why it feels a little slow IMO -- the other MAJOR chunk is that whenever we're in the school, we feel almost zero sense of threat. This is killer -- we're too relaxed as an audience. Yeah, you can't sustain that kind of tension all the time (although BSG just about pulled this off), but too much soccer, candles and sappy music -- it's slack.

As the whole season and probably the next couple have been mapped already, I've got to think given the talent involved, this pacing/tension at the moment is all by design. As an aside, I hope the bring back Carl Franklin who directed the pilot for some more episodes -- he did 'One False Move' and 'Devil in a Blue Dress', two excellent movies. I don't think episode 3 and 4, done by a different director were particularly well done. Don't think the shooting is vivid, and a lot of missed opportunities moment-wise. For ex., think about when the alien 'cuddles' the kids -- this could have been far more creepy and effective.

Ad nauseum, but if you haven't seen, check out the 2 hr pilot movie for BSG that is the invasion of Earth. It''s a great point of comparison.

As Mark Twain said, if I had more time, I would have made this shorter.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Watched the third episodes of Falling Skies .. ... Sloooooooooowwww... Tedious ... Tepid... expected more from Spielberg as a producer ... .. Ok I give up. No mas! :(

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I lost interest, as I did with Lost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing