Everything Matters-Computer Audio

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
This philosophy seems to be an logical extension from the so called "precautionary principle." We are often told it's better to be safe than sorry. We are told that if we just take care of everything, our system will sound great. We see this philosophy penetrate all professions. Fear seems to be the genesis for this philosophical approach. For example, fearful physicians seem to order more tests and the outcomes don't seem to be improved with all of the testing done in the hospital. Is this really a meaningful philosophy? Does this approach help anyone make their system more musically engaging?

The Everything Matters philosophy manifests itself in ways which make some logical sense. We read arguments and assertions made to support claims which lack any data to support those claims. It's one thing to say it. It's something totally different, to back it up with some actual data. I have been an avid computer audio listener for years. I've tried numerous tweeks, cables, DACs, amps, speakers, room treatments and softwares and spent a lot of cash doing it. What I've learned is that these logical assertions will never die because they seem logical and are supported with an army of self-affirming subjective experiences. This is no different from the assertions we often read about cables, stones and other strange tweeks. In the past, I fell for this philosophy. For me, I realized I was getting caught up in something which didn't further my musical enjoyment. My pursuit of music lost it's focus and meaning.

In terms of objective data related to computer audio, there ARE some measurements I've seen provided by Exasound George which can demonstrate how a good USB implementation can improve noise measurements from the analog outs of the DAC. That's somewhat helpful and I wholeheartedly agree with his USB design. But, unless there can be some objective data measured from the analog outs of a DAC, I place Swenson's claims and his assertions squarely in the category theorizing and not actual useful knowledge.

On this forum, I know I've seen Amir post analog measurements before and after the insertion of a Berkeley USB to AES converter. The evidence in that case seemed pretty clear that the Berkeley does exactly what it claims to do.

Is there any downside to taking on the precautionary strategy to computer audio? What if it weren't really true? What if "everything matters" is a vacuous truism used to support pursuits which simply waste money and, more importantly, time. Time which could have been better spent listening to awesome music! Time which could have better spent focusing on things which really DO improve playback performance. The truth I've learned is that some things REALLY matter and some thing do NOT matter. I was only able to fully understand this discovery when I pursued those items which I previously avoided. (eg. room construction, room treatments, seating position, speaker performance and DSP) Since adopting this philosophy, I've spent more time listening to much better music and less time worrying about the stuff which doesn't matter. Since adopting this strategy, I've noticed that the little computer audio tweeks I used to think so important, really don't make any difference at all. Some folks like to say things like; "you could only hear it, if your system was up to par." My experience is exactly the opposite. The more advanced and accurate a system becomes, the less the above mentioned tweeks make ANY difference to the music. I don't know why that is the case, but it's been my clear observation having tried just about everything.

I think it's much better to live one's life in pursuit of excellence, rather than avoiding the "what if" fears in life.

Thoughts and criticisms are certainly welcome. :D

Michael.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good post and thread Michael. I am not a believer in everything matters. I am a believer in making sure that everything that can matter, is known :).

I just read that thread and post by John Swenson. He does pose a plausible theory of something that "can" make a difference. Sadly though as an engineer, I would have expected him to put forward a measurement. I do it and it is not my job. I am also disappointed that he says he put in a filter cap, it made no difference in measurements but made a substantial audible improvement. He needs to decide if he is explaining engineering matters or just subjective listening. Mixing the two is not a good cocktail in my opinion :).

I should say that when John talks, I listen. He is one of the few that is good at finding what "can" matter.

Back to the good point of your post, I don't believe in everything mattering. For it to matter, there must be a theory and not a hand waving one. And once we have a theory, measurements come next.

If we don't follow that then we shouldn't say "everything matters." Instead we should say, "everything I change sounds different to me." Which is fine. What you perceive was indeed true for you. But it does not create a reality for everyone else without the above two steps in my opinion.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This philosophy seems to be an logical extension from the so called "precautionary principle." We are often told it's better to be safe than sorry. We are told that if we just take care of everything, our system will sound great. We see this philosophy penetrate all professions. Fear seems to be the genesis for this philosophical approach. For example, fearful physicians seem to order more tests and the outcomes don't seem to be improved with all of the testing done in the hospital. Is this really a meaningful philosophy? Does this approach help anyone make their system more musically engaging?

The Everything Matters philosophy manifests itself in ways which make some logical sense. We read arguments and assertions made to support claims which lack any data to support those claims. It's one thing to say it. It's something totally different, to back it up with some actual data. I have been an avid computer audio listener for years. I've tried numerous tweeks, cables, DACs, amps, speakers, room treatments and softwares and spent a lot of cash doing it. What I've learned is that these logical assertions will never die because they seem logical and are supported with an army of self-affirming subjective experiences. This is no different from the assertions we often read about cables, stones and other strange tweeks. In the past, I fell for this philosophy. For me, I realized I was getting caught up in something which didn't further my musical enjoyment. My pursuit of music lost it's focus and meaning.

In terms of objective data related to computer audio, there ARE some measurements I've seen provided by Exasound George which can demonstrate how a good USB implementation can improve noise measurements from the analog outs of the DAC. That's somewhat helpful and I wholeheartedly agree with his USB design. But, unless there can be some objective data measured from the analog outs of a DAC, I place Swenson's claims and his assertions squarely in the category theorizing and not actual useful knowledge.

On this forum, I know I've seen Amir post analog measurements before and after the insertion of a Berkeley USB to AES converter. The evidence in that case seemed pretty clear that the Berkeley does exactly what it claims to do.

Is there any downside to taking on the precautionary strategy to computer audio? What if it weren't really true? What if "everything matters" is a vacuous truism used to support pursuits which simply waste money and, more importantly, time. Time which could have been better spent listening to awesome music! Time which could have better spent focusing on things which really DO improve playback performance. The truth I've learned is that some things REALLY matter and some thing do NOT matter. I was only able to fully understand this discovery when I pursued those items which I previously avoided. (eg. room construction, room treatments, seating position, speaker performance and DSP) Since adopting this philosophy, I've spent more time listening to much better music and less time worrying about the stuff which doesn't matter. Since adopting this strategy, I've noticed that the little computer audio tweeks I used to think so important, really don't make any difference at all. Some folks like to say things like; "you could only hear it, if your system was up to par." My experience is exactly the opposite. The more advanced and accurate a system becomes, the less the above mentioned tweeks make ANY difference to the music. I don't know why that is the case, but it's been my clear observation having tried just about everything.

I think it's much better to live one's life in pursuit of excellence, rather than avoiding the "what if" fears in life.

Thoughts and criticisms are certainly welcome. :D

Michael.

EXCELLENT POST ..

Sorry had to shout.. Great, thoughtful post and I totally fully agree. Computer Audi is that last frontier for us, the obsessive compulsive... It is interesting that you mention Seating position, one of the most overlooked things in Audio. The position of the speakers is dependent of where you seat. You move your chair, you should move your speakers. Sadly many spend a great deal of time and money on their system and sit at a wall .The worst position ever ... sigh ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing