Ever have one of those days when everything sounds good?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well, I'm having one of those days today.

Been up since 4am and started to listen to some tunes as background from my PC, then gravitated towards my vinyl, and I've been going back and forth between them. For some reason it doesn't matter what I put on and from what source it's listened to...I am enjoying it the same.

Quality be damned (almost)....gimme the music baby!:D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh yeah :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm going to enjoy it all day. And I have those days quite often truth be told...guess I'm just a music lover at heart!

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Tsk, tsk ...

The trouble is, the next day, and the next day, and the next day, may not have the ingredients for that experience to be repeated. If I buy a Merc, I prefer it to always feel like that, each day when I put the key in the ignition; not like an old Chevy most of the time ...

So if one has the skills to understand why this sort of behaviour occurs, I think one is almost beholden to strive to investigate such matters, to try and engineer the car so it behaves as expected.

Frank

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Tsk, tsk ...

The trouble is, the next day, and the next day, and the next day, may not have the ingredients for that experience to be repeated. If I buy a Merc, I prefer it to always feel like that, each day when I put the key in the ignition; not like an old Chevy most of the time ...

Frank

Thanks for that uplifting post, Frank!:(. I don't quite get the analogy or your point...rather a waste of words if you ask me.

And for what it's worth.....the music today has been terrific, and I have no doubt that based on my predisposition for the love of music...tomorrow will be as well.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Sorry, John, I was not responding to you!! Please continue to enjoy the music, may it continue to weave its magic. I've had moments in the car when the right song has come on at the right time, and I was in a groove: a bit of Dire Straits can do that for me, even the crappiest setup should perform with that material ...

Again, sorry that you thought I was focused on your OP ...

Frank

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sorry, John, I was not responding to you!! Please continue to enjoy the music, may it continue to weave its magic. I've had moments in the car when the right song has come on at the right time, and I was in a groove: a bit of Dire Straits can do that for me, even the crappiest setup should perform with that material ...

Again, sorry that you thought I was focused on your OP ...

Frank

It was me to whom he was referring. Once again John, enjoy the day and enjoy the music. No need to sweat the small stuff

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Many times, I notice its almost always not the best weather :D
I think you have hit on a key factor, Bill. Static is a nasty influence on reproduction, especially with digital, and with higher levels of humidity, if rainy weather is what you're referring to, these influences may be mitigated to a large degree. People make like to experiment with simple things like spraying a very fine mist of water in the listening room, to see if that helps, for example ...

Frank

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My apologies then.

Frank - disregard my comment, but please do make reference when responding.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm having one of those day again! :D

Some Zeppelin, Beatles, Alan Parsons, America ......it all sounds so darned good! Rock on!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Been up since 4am and started to listen to some tunes as background from my PC, then gravitated towards my vinyl, and I've been going back and forth between them. For some reason it doesn't matter what I put on and from what source it's listened to...I am enjoying it the same.

I am just in the same mood John, unless not as an early-bird today as you did - the system is sounding great today, right volume, tone and atmosphere! sadly I have lunch with some friends and might need to turn it off :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Yes it's called when the sun, earth, moon, planets and stars are in perfect alignment :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nearly a year after Myles' last post I find myself again in one of those places whereby the music is just so gratifying beyond words. Not that I haven't had those moments before, but this weekend has been extraordinary. I discovered some old stuff that had been dormant, plus I cracked the seal on some new ones. I'm loving this weekend. One of the best I've had recently! I hope yours was likewise.:D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

I think the music sounds great much more often than we realize because we're too absorbed in other things and thoughts to recognize how good it is.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think the music sounds great much more often than we realize because we're too absorbed in other things and thoughts to recognize how good it is.

So true, but this weekend I was totally free any thoughts of work, life, etc.....I have been totally consumed by the pure pleasure of good music (well, good to me anyway). The system is sounding really good (I've worked hard at it).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mine was really good all weekend. I played plenty of jazz and Beatles LPs. People that say the early Beatles LPs don't sound good (and some say any of their LPs) have rocks in their socks. Maybe if all you ever owned was the Capitol releases, I could get it. The EMI Parlaphone LPs are all pretty amazing if you are a fan. Buy a copy of the EMI Parlaphone BC-13 collection while you can and a German pressing of Magical Mystery Tour (the one with the purple cover) to fill in the one missing hole and you are good to go. Yes, the Parlaphone pressings are on the thin side and really crammed too many songs on a side in order to give you your money's worth. Yes, there is some pre-echo you will hear before the music starts. But, once the music starts, sit back and hold on because you will be in for a ride. I listened to Revolver last night and was blown away all over again.

The only thing that would entice me to buy the Beatles' collection all over again would be if they would use the original master tapes and cut new vinyl at 45 RPM with only a few songs per side. But guess what? That's never going to happen. Abbey Road thinks they have already given us their best with the little green apple that contains the USB stick with FLAC files.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You know what...I'm not even concerned about the pressings, masterings, etc....I'm just enjoying what I have and taking pleasure in it. Some of the stuff I have is primo quality in all records, others not so much, but hell....I really like The Brothers Johnson- Get The Funk Outta My Face....so play it I did! (Actually, that's a pretty good 12" 45). I've got kind of a so-so copy of EJ's-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and I enjoyed it even with the occasional pop/click.

PS: I ordered the Speakers Corner reissue of GYBR as I hear its sublime. Can't wait to get it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing