EMT - JSD series Carts

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
http://emt-international.ch/e/jsd_series.php

emt-jsd5-2.jpg

Very little mention of these in general, though when you do find some info the users are very enthusiatic about them being well balanced and quite neutral. Output is high for MC at about 1mv (Davey, maybe one to consider for you?), which puts it in a slightly odd place with regards to gain. Cost here is 2-4k (£). Considering EMT's historical status, and the fact that they produce a £40k phono stage, these cart's should be worthy of some serious attention?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
http://emt-international.ch/e/jsd_series.php

View attachment 35465

Very little mention of these in general, though when you do find some info the users are very enthusiatic about them being well balanced and quite neutral. Output is high for MC at about 1mv (Davey, maybe one to consider for you?), which puts it in a slightly odd place with regards to gain. Cost here is 2-4k (£). Considering EMT's historical status, and the fact that they produce a £40k phono stage, these cart's should be worthy of some serious attention?

Hi Paul,

I have actually thought about one of the EMT's. Very hard to listen to over here in the US...for some reason?? Although I have actually heard the 15 model ( I think that is what it was??) Seems like a good cartridge. Is the JSD series their top of the line?
While I don't actually need 1mv output, the fact that it would have more than i would require as a minimum is nothing bad. As some of my a'phile friends have found out ( the hard way), get this part wrong and the resulting sound is a disaster. With cartridges, too much output is far far better than too little.

Last edited:

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
This goes back to your thread Davey; no demo at home makes finding the right cart a bit of a lottery for some. I think the JSD Platinum may be the top model and would like to hear it. There is a VM Model too, again, I need to hear this against XV-1s/ Transfig Proteus / Colibri / London Ref. If I get anywhere i'll let you know my thoughts..

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi,
i was reviewing the JSD 6 PLAT with a Thales simplicity II tone arm a few weeks ago (israel localy web site/forum - review )
i had it on my Clear audio Master Innovation a side my other two arms, a TT2 with Ortofon Anna and a UNIversal with the DS AUDIO 002
the JSD 6 Plat' is a very very good cart'. very musical and engaging, with a balance to it with every music flavour. i play mostly classical music but also jazz and rock
the JSD will take all in and out with ease. i had the XSD15 also on a SME M2-12R and the JSD its all that classic musical caricature with a more modern approach (call it "audiophile" but its not cold dry or very clear sounding like you would here at the Munich show around). this cart build is phenomenal with its price range! (Diamond on white Sapphire!!! on under 4000eu cart!)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This goes back to your thread Davey; no demo at home makes finding the right cart a bit of a lottery for some. I think the JSD Platinum may be the top model and would like to hear it. There is a VM Model too, again, I need to hear this against XV-1s/ Transfig Proteus / Colibri / London Ref. If I get anywhere i'll let you know my thoughts..

Very true. I will look forward to your thoughts if you have the opportunity to hear it.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi,
i was reviewing the JSD 6 PLAT with a Thales simplicity II tone arm a few weeks ago (israel localy web site/forum - review )
i had it on my Clear audio Master Innovation a side my other two arms, a TT2 with Ortofon Anna and a UNIversal with the DS AUDIO 002
the JSD 6 Plat' is a very very good cart'. very musical and engaging, with a balance to it with every music flavour. i play mostly classical music but also jazz and rock
the JSD will take all in and out with ease. i had the XSD15 also on a SME M2-12R and the JSD its all that classic musical caricature with a more modern approach (call it "audiophile" but its not cold dry or very clear sounding like you would here at the Munich show around). this cart build is phenomenal with its price range! (Diamond on white Sapphire!!! on under 4000eu cart!)

This is very interesting to hear, thank you for adding to the thread! Your description matches pretty well with my impression from what I have read so far, which is not all about detail and transient speed, but body, depth tonality and as you say, engagement. These are all parameters I am looking for in my next cart, so this has moved up the shortlist a bit more now.. How did you find the output, and did you use active MC or SUT into MM?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Very true. I will look forward to your thoughts if you have the opportunity to hear it.

I certainly will Davey, will keep you posted :)

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
This is very interesting to hear, thank you for adding to the thread! Your description matches pretty well with my impression from what I have read so far, which is not all about detail and transient speed, but body, depth tonality and as you say, engagement. These are all parameters I am looking for in my next cart, so this has moved up the shortlist a bit more now.. How did you find the output, and did you use active MC or SUT into MM?

Hi Paul,
im glad i helped a little from my own experience.
i was trying it on Pass labs xp25, so no problem what so ever with its specs
i actually kinda love its an easy cart to drive.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi,

Hi, how did this compare to the Fuuga?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Any impressions/comparisons with other carts?
And more details about your system?

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Nice cartridge BeQuiet...Listen, I have been running an EMT for years now. You can see the EMT JSD S 75 in my avatar on the left, I really like and enjoy it.

EMT JSD S 75.jpeg

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Have been listening and comparing many carts of late. To condense them, I derive equal enjoyment from this cart as I do my Air Tight PC1 Supreme and my Koetsu's.
That’s saying a lot

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Ecco la mia VM JSD sul Kuzma Safir, la adoro! View attachment 114003
Buongiorno a tutti. Bellissima combinazione di Dynavector 507 mk2 con testina Emt. ieri il platino è arrivato a casa mia per un colpo di fortuna…. Deve ancora finire il rodaggio... Ieri, visitando la casa di un mio amico che vive a Catania, a 200 km da casa mia, ho scoperto che questo appassionato aveva deciso di disfarsi di questa meraviglia a causa del scarsa compatibilità con il suo pre fono Zander (peccato che il fono imponga solo due opzioni di caricamento e nessuna regolazione a parte le curve) e mi sono sacrificato aprendo le porte di casa a questo jsd 6 platino. dinamica impressionante, il resto promette bene, altre 20 ore di attesa per completare il rodaggio e poi... chi vivrà vedrà

Attachments

• 58C3813E-4DD0-4EFE-8C55-5AD725E5B8CC.jpeg
    58C3813E-4DD0-4EFE-8C55-5AD725E5B8CC.jpeg
    918.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 4816FE3A-9C15-4868-9CEB-37A7D13090C6.jpeg
    4816FE3A-9C15-4868-9CEB-37A7D13090C6.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 23

thekong

May 10, 2012
Buongiorno a tutti. Bellissima combinazione di Dynavector 507 mk2 con testina Emt. ieri il platino è arrivato a casa mia per un colpo di fortuna…. Deve ancora finire il rodaggio... Ieri, visitando la casa di un mio amico che vive a Catania, a 200 km da casa mia, ho scoperto che questo appassionato aveva deciso di disfarsi di questa meraviglia a causa del scarsa compatibilità con il suo pre fono Zander (peccato che il fono imponga solo due opzioni di caricamento e nessuna regolazione a parte le curve) e mi sono sacrificato aprendo le porte di casa a questo jsd 6 platino. dinamica impressionante, il resto promette bene, altre 20 ore di attesa per completare il rodaggio e poi... chi vivrà vedrà

Nice cartridge, I also have an EMT P6.0 on my Exclusive P3a turntable feeding a Wavestream phono.

Speaking of EMT, I have recently auditioned a new Goldmund cartridge, which apparently was made by EMT, but with a lower output of 0.5mv. My initial impression was that it was slightly more refine and a little quicker than the regular EMT. However, it only had a few hours of playing time, so I am planning on going back for another audition once it had been run in.

Reactions: XV-1

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Bella testina, ho anche una EMT P6.0 sul mio giradischi Exclusive P3a che alimenta un fono Wavestream.

Parlando di EMT, ho recentemente ascoltato una nuova testina Goldmund, che apparentemente è stata prodotta dalla EMT, ma con un'uscita inferiore di 0,5 mv. La mia impressione iniziale è stata che fosse leggermente più raffinato e un po' più veloce del normale EMT. Tuttavia, ha avuto solo poche ore di riproduzione, quindi ho intenzione di tornare per un'altra audizione una volta
This new goldmund seems interesting but MP also gives the possibility of choice at the time of purchase" to be able to request management with an output of 0.5 mV with an internal impedance of 12 ohms you can even ask for the same head with the output of 0.3 mV and a bite of 6 ohms (published by the Italian audio importer point: JSD OPTIONS
1/2 Coil - Impedance: 2x12? - Output: 0.5mV @ 5cm/s -
1/4 Coil - Impedance: 2x6? - Output: 0.3mV @ 5cm/s - (the godmund is probably the same cartridge but jsd branded differently)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing