Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Hi Jeromelang,

I suspect that your sound system (your Straightwire Crescendo cables, your racks, footers, etc.) is not transparent enough to hear the differences (the micro details) between the two optical cables.

I agree with Fred conclusions.

Yes, quite possibly, the Straightwire Crescendo cables could be not transparent enough.

But anyone who fails to spot the sonic differences between the 2 directionality of the orange rubber band is highly suspect too.

There is far greater differences between directionality than between the 2 cables

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am writing to share my listening session earlier: The album: The Best of Tacet on SACD 2004 / 2005 (SACD). Previously (and before replacing my signal cables (Ansuz Acoustics Diamond) with the Ansuz Acoustics D-TC supreme and D-TC 2 signal cables, plus PowerBox), I found the violin playing in many of the tracks (Meditation from Thai's, Ave Maria, Humoreske, etc.) quite deadpan, lacking subtle dynamic inflection. However, this afternoon, I was surprised to hear them for the first time! What's more - those tracks that sounded good (Bach's Brandenburg Concerto, Partita; St. Martin by Georg Rox) now sounded excellent! These tracks have lots of jump factor (St. Martin by Georg Rox), dynamic openness, dynamic inflection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire
There is a grey FP and a black FP. My DA2v2 and PRE are both black, so EMM said they would match them all up.....
Hi Audire:
Was there a reason that you chose DA2v2 over DV2? Did you have a chance to compare these two DACs?
Thanks,
Teera A.

Hi Audire:
Was there a reason that you chose DA2v2 over DV2? Did you have a chance to compare these two DACs?
Thanks,
Teera A.

Hi,

The DA2v2 is a huge improvement over the DA2. IMO this article covers it pretty well,

DA2 V2 Update Review

Those on this forum that purchased the DA2 and later upgraded to the V2 can explain what they hear in the upgrades better than I can. I’ve heard the DA2 but it was too long between hearing it and the V2 to genuinely compare them - different systems as well... I know the DA2 didn’t impress me, it didn’t move me. The V2 was an immediate I want this (over the MSB Select II - but the MSB and EMM were close)

Edit to include MSB and EMM comparison. Link

Last edited:
Reactions: teeraash
Hi,

The DA2v2 is a huge improvement over the DA2. IMO this article covers it pretty well,

DA2 V2 Update Review

Those on this forum that purchased the DA2 and later upgraded to the V2 can explain what they hear in the upgrades better than I can. I’ve heard the DA2 but it was too long between hearing it and the V2 to genuinely compare them - different systems as well... I know the DA2 didn’t impress me, it didn’t move me. The V2 was an immediate I want this (over the MSB Select II - but the MSB and EMM were close)

Edit to include MSB and EMM comparison. Link

Hi Audire,

(1) I think Teera A. was asking about the differences between the DA2 V2 and the DV2 (with volume control).

(2) Yes, the DA2 V2 is a huge improvement over the DA2! I owned the DA2 for many years before the DA2 V2 arrived.

Reactions: Audire and teeraash
Hi Audire:
Thanks,
Teera A.

Hi Teera A.,

Ed Meitner said that it is very difficult to find a preamp that sound better than the VControl (without re-quantisation - bit-chopping) in the DV2.

Hi guys.

If you feel like embarking on an adventurous journey, listen to this disc: Kalevi Aho Symphony No. 12, Lahti Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra of Lapland, John Storgårds, conductor, BIS SACD. This powerful, visceral music begins with some of the most ferocious drumming ever. The recording was made in the Sibelius Hall, so you should be able to hear the bass drums reverberating in the hall without any muddiness. A great disc to show off your state-of-the-art sound system!

Hi Audire,

(1) I think Teera A. was asking about the differences between the DA2 V2 and the DV2 (with volume control).

(2) Yes, the DA2 V2 is a huge improvement over the DA2! I owned the DA2 for many years before the DA2 V2 arrived.

Sorry I misunderstood. To many Ds, Vs and 2s … :)

Hi guys.

If you feel like embarking on an adventurous journey, listen to this disc: Kalevi Aho Symphony No. 12, Lahti Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra of Lapland, John Storgårds, conductor, BIS SACD. This powerful, visceral music begins with some of the most ferocious drumming ever. The recording was made in the Sibelius Hall, so you should be able to hear the bass drums reverberating in the hall without any muddiness. A great disc to show off your state-of-the-art sound system!
+1 on all the Aho. BIS has done a great job with his SACDs -- great in multichannel. Love how he's written a concerto for virtually every instrument in the orchestra.

BTW, Andy, how do you connect your DV2 to your sub(s?)? Assuming your DV2's XLR's go out to the amp, do you use the RCA's out to the sub?

Parker

Reactions: Yuen A.
+1 on all the Aho. BIS has done a great job with his SACDs -- great in multichannel. Love how he's written a concerto for virtually every instrument in the orchestra.

BTW, Andy, how do you connect your DV2 to your sub(s?)? Assuming your DV2's XLR's go out to the amp, do you use the RCA's out to the sub?

Parker
Hi,

Yes, I am using the RCA. I would have preferred to used the balance connections because the Magico Q-15 Sub has only XLR. Currently I am using an adapter on the Subwoofer's side.

Reactions: pdubya
Hi folks,

Just to share my impressions after relistening to this SACD again: Curse Upon Iron, Works for Male Choir by Veljo Tormis, performed by Orphei Drangar, Male-Voice Choir (BIS SACD). I would not have expected that attaching an Ansuz Acoustic D-TC PowerBox to my D-TC Supreme and D-TC2 signal cables can made such a significant improvement in capturing the Uppsala University Hall's acoustics. Now the voices of the Orphei Drangar reverberate like the real thing. The voices too has more clarity and 'presence' and a more enveloping sound.

Reactions: john925 and Audire
Hi folks,

Another great DSD recording to listen to: Yo Yo Ma, Solo, MARK O'CONNOR - Appalachian Waltz, BRIGHT SHENG - Seven Tunes Heard in China, DAVID WILDE - The Cellist of Sarajevo, ALEXANDER TCHEREPNIN - Suite for Solo Cello, ZOLTAN KODALY - Sonata for Solo Cello, Op. 8.

This is one demo disc to show off the clarity, inner detail, and overtones of the cello now possible with the EMM Labs DA2 V2/DV2. Heard via my sound system, Yo Yo Ma's cello has a woody, mellow, lustrous, sonorous, weighty, and sensuous sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: john925
I know I have asked before, but anyone heard any dramatic improvements on your DV2 with upgraded power cords?
I've tried a few - Analysis Plus Ultimate, Evolution Acoustic, Purist Audio Design Dominus.
They may have added a little more sparkle but no dramatic improvement.
Perhaps this is testament to the superior DV2 design and circuitry.....

I know I have asked before, but anyone heard any dramatic improvements on your DV2 with upgraded power cords?
I've tried a few - Analysis Plus Ultimate, Evolution Acoustic, Purist Audio Design Dominus.
They may have added a little more sparkle but no dramatic improvement.
Perhaps this is testament to the superior DV2 design and circuitry.....

Hi,

(1) Yes, plugging in the Shunyata Sigma power cables into all my components have a dramatic effect on the sound.

(2) I suspect your Shunyata Everest is doing a great job in cutting down the noise level of your sound system.

(2) Which power cable are you now using for your DV2?

Thanks for your advice!
I did a little swapping around of my power cords -
Moved the Evolution Acoustics power cords to the 925 amps
Moved the Shunyata Sigma power cable to the DV2
Wow - a lot clearer and open sound.
Think I like this.....
(Also put some Critical Mass Center Stage footers under the DV2)

Reactions: Yuen A.
I just received the EMM TX2 SACD Transport. I’ll post better pics after I name the system.

F4809FCA-4A65-4495-A108-FDD69A773BB8.jpeg

77D3827F-8B1B-4EB9-84F4-9D655FB4A7A9.jpeg

The 1-box Emmy PRE sounds better than the 2-box Pass Labs XP22?

I'm intrigued...

I listened to the Soulnote S3v2 SACD player and noticed very dramatic sonic differences when operating with the remote control as compared to operating with the front panel buttons.

There is a very physical sense of ear fatigue each time the test tracks were played after being selected via the remote control.

On the TX2 and DA2v2 combo, this sense of ear fatigue when used with their remote control is virtually non-existent.

They are the most un-susceptible digital product to the detrimental effects of remote control that I've ever encountered so far.
I am almost happy to use the remote when I am feeling a bit "lazy" when switching quickly between different CD singles.

The 1-box Emmy PRE sounds better than the 2-box Pass Labs XP22?

I'm intrigued...

Definitely. The difference was immediately heard. Everything was better. The three EMM boxes (PRE, DAC, and SACD) have a wonderful synergy together. The PRE and DAC are a match made in heaven. And in my room, I enjoyed the EMM DAC more than the MSB Select II. I compared them - here.

Reactions: Mdp632 and Yuen A.
Definitely. The difference was immediately heard. Everything was better. The three EMM boxes (PRE, DAC, and SACD) have a wonderful synergy together. The PRE and DAC are a match made in heaven. And in my room, I enjoyed the EMM DAC more than the MSB Select II. I compared them - here.

System synergy is a big factor. Finding a single vendor that does everything so well and to your personal preferences is a winner in my book.

Next up the EMM Labs amps to complete the chain :) ?

Btw, I think you'll find that playing a physical CD on a system of your caliber will surpass even your amazing file playblack/streaming system.

I think we will see a resurgence of compact discs, especially at the high end, if we haven't already.

Looking forward to reading your updates.

Enjoy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing