Ediscreation's Firebird LPS - Another splash for CAS audiophiles

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Ediscreation Audio has been in business in Hong Kong for nearly 10 yrs, a branch of N&E Audio.

Edison Wong, the designer-owner is a friend of mine. He is an electrical engineer by training and worked parttime for his audio products in the past.
Now that the business of Ediscreation is thriving so rapidly, he has quitted his job and is working fulltime for his own company.

I wrote a brief review about his excellent audiophile switch on WBF in Dec 2020 (#5 of ) and now a group of WBF members are using the switch very happily.

Edison makes several models of LPS for a few years already. They are good but competition in those price ranges are high.

Now I have to disclose Edison's newest creation - a flagship grade LPS named Firebird :

The Firebird LPS chassis is cnc from a billet of aluminium alloy. It's sturdy & heavy! There are several isolated internal compartments and additional vibration-modulating materials are applied onto the circuit boards.
1658628734602.jpg
1658629196440.jpg

It's a bit bigger than the other LPS models of Ediscreation.
1658629196893.jpg

The dc voltmeter on the front looks pretty, and its lighting can be switched off.
1658629196668.jpg

They are stackable because of the 4 round pillars.
Each Firebird can supply up to three devices of the same DC voltage.
IMG_20220724_102532.jpg

We tested the Firebird in two systems :
IMG_20220726_125339.jpg

IMG_20220726_125504.jpg

We compared it to another well-known brand and Edison' lower LPS model.
I am confident to say that Firebird belongs to the top three audiophiles LPS in the market.
:D

In my friend Kahw's system it supplied a Cybershaft OP21 10M clock and two audiophile switches.
1658628734414.jpg

The Firebird by its own has elevated Kahw's CAS system to one of the two Best CAS I have ever auditioned.
All hifi factors such as quietness, resolution, dynamics, freq extensions ...etc are improved but most importantly the musicality also breaks new ground.
It's quite unbelievable that a single LPS can affect a whole audio system so much!
:cool:

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The Firebird is not mentioned on the Ediscreation website.

It's because Firebird LPS is new and Edison's original plan was to debut it at the coming HK Hi-end Audio & Visual Show in August.

However when we friends of Edison borrowed it for home tests, all of us were reluctant to return it to him.
It's already selling like hot cakes before the Show.
:p

In HK there isn't any sale tax and shipping cost. The msrp of Firebird is less than usd2.5k.
Not cheap but Firebird can supply 3 components so the performance/cost ratio is actually quite high, considering that it's a very top LPS.

IMHO Firebird is a perfect partners of CAS components such as routers, switchs, NAS ...etc.
All WBF brothers who employ CAS systems please keep a close eye on this Ediscreation Firebird LPS.
You will not be disappointed for sure!
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum and onsionsi

nickif

May 17, 2013
I was there, the improvement brought by the firebird LPS is huge! Ordered immediately:)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The clash of the Titans :

IMG_20220804_202820.jpg

I was asked by frds in HK and several WBF members to do this comparison.

Left : Paul Hynes, the gold standard.
Right : Ediscreation Firebird, the challenger.
IMG_20220804_202450.jpg

Both are heavy and nicely built!
However I don't like the dc cables of Paul Hynes.
IMG_20220805_161905.jpg

I compared them by supplying a Cybershaft OP21 10M clock, which in turn supplied a CH Precision C1.1 dac.

IMHO in general they are on par but with diff sonic characters.
Paul Hynes is brighter (in the good sense).
Firebird is darker (also in the good sense).

Personally I will choose the Firebird, because I will use it for my CAS system. It's cheaper too.
YMMV.
;)

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
BTW the original spikes of the Firebird is a limiting factor of its sonic performance.

My frd Kahw and I are very happy after replacing them with the Audio Replas RSI-M6 spikes.

080639ktdk388d0tbs98ls.jpg

You can try any audiophile footers/spikes on the Firebird, as long as the screws are M6 size.
;)

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

View attachment 96501

View attachment 96502

View attachment 96504

I compared them by supplying a Cybershaft OP21 10M clock, which in turn supplied a CH Precision C1.1 dac.

Personally I will choose the Firebird, because I will use it for my CAS system. It's cheaper too.
YMMV.
;)
Who can like Paul Hynes CC cables ?. They are incredibly stiff and difficult to handle.

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México

View attachment 96501

View attachment 96502

View attachment 96504

YMMV.
;)
Hello,

Was that a Paul Hynes SR7, DR7 or Turbo versions ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello,

Was that a Paul Hynes SR7, DR7 or Turbo versions ?
It's a SR7 dual rail version.
A friend of mine bought it for his audiophile switches. He owns a Taiko Audio Extreme Server.

Reactions: Miki70

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Can the Ed's do all 3 output voltage in one box (5, 12,19). Or just 3 outputs at 1 voltage.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
3 outputs in one voltage only.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Thank you CK.
I’m using Ikigai Kangai DC cable.
View attachment 96507 It has a very solid and focused sound.
I think Firebird will have more extension with better feets as you recommend….
That's a very nice looking cable. Did you try the DC cables from Edison before these?

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018

View attachment 96501

View attachment 96502

View attachment 96504

YMMV.
;)
May I know if the Firebird used with the cybershaft was with a custom voltage or 12V ? (as it seems Cybershaft is recommending 14V )
Thanks
Alex

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The output voltage of Firebird can be tailor-made. Pls email Edison Wong and discuss.
The only pitfall is that all the three outputs have to be of the same voltage.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
When I read the title of the thread, I expected it to be comparing the different LP versions of Stravinsky's Firebird. These acronyms can be confusing as well as names of equipment taken from pieces of music. Larry

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
  • Love
Reactions: timztunz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing