DSD comparison to PCM.

bbb

Dec 19, 2012
Right but that does not mean there is no thought (cognitive) process required.

Sorry to butt in but IMHO, by the time you reach the "flow" stage, the thought process is no longer required, it has become an instantaneous thing. Before you even think, your body has started reacting to what the other side did. That's what separates the top dogs and the perennial also-rans.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Perhaps there's misunderstanding over terms - as edorr has mentioned what I meant by 'thought' wasn't 'cognitive process' rather 'conscious thinking in language' or 'the voice in our head'. Does that help any? I didn't mean to say by 'unpremeditated' that we're unaware of cognition going on. I'll accept your clarification if you have a better way of describing 'unpremeditated'.
I wish I had one. There are legal definitions but, off the top of my head, premeditation might be equivalent to conscious cognition.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, indeed you are correct :) I hope to also compare a NOS offering at the weekend if I can - a Metrum - still only 16/44 however & I know it has some shortcomings but it will give another datapoint.

Look forward to your observations!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I wish I had one. There are legal definitions but, off the top of my head, premeditation might be equivalent to conscious cognition.

Sounds like a reasonable definition. So if some cognition is subconscious the fact that a cognitive process takes place does not mean the response is premeditated, which is (if I understood correctly) what you originally asserted.

Kal Rubinson said:
......."this is really not possible" (i.e. responding without premeditation)

If the congnition is subconscious, there is no premeditation, QED.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Sounds like a reasonable definition. So if some cognition is subconscious the fact that a cognitive process takes place does not mean the response is premeditated, which is (if I understood correctly) what you originally asserted.

If the congnition is subconscious, there is no premeditation, QED.
Yes but that's my problem with the term premeditation.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
... nobody has a solution with what I term 'segmented current source dynamics' at higher resolutions.

Aren't the Metrum DACs 'segmented current source' and capable of handling 24 bits?

Incidentally, have you heard the Audial TDA1541A DAC up against your Phasure? Or the AMR CD-77?

The Audial no, but it looks very interesting. Not the CD-77 but the DP-777 very briefly and not in my environment. In any event, I will never comment on the sound of a component unless a) I'm sharing my thoughts on various rooms at a show, b) I've owned and lived with the component for a period of time.

Incidentally, the DAC chips in the PM2 look suspiciously like Ultra Analog D20400 chips. Opus, I know you have some strong thoughts about the issues of glitching in DACs - are you familiar with any techniques UA used in the D20400 to minimize this? I'm sure I read something to this end once a long time ago, but just can't find anything any more.

Mani.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Aren't the Metrum DACs 'segmented current source' and capable of handling 24 bits?

The answer to both those questions is a 'no' they're resistor string and only 16bits. That's based on figuring out (within a margin of error of two or three possible chips) what the relevant devices are from specs and layout, because Cees likes to have the IDs scratched off his DAC chips.

Incidentally, the DAC chips in the PM2 look suspiciously like Ultra Analog D20400 chips.

Ah, for a moment there I was rather puzzled - I'd thought the PM2 an ADC. But I see on downloading the operating manual it has both ADC and DAC. You can't mistake D20400s as they're modules rather than chips, large hybrid things.

Opus, I know you have some strong thoughts about the issues of glitching in DACs - are you familiar with any techniques UA used in the D20400 to minimize this? I'm sure I read something to this end once a long time ago, but just can't find anything any more.

No, I'm not. I was involved in testing some DACs (a professional application) which used these modules and certainly their measurements were better than any chip available at the time. But none of the normal measurements show glitch, THD+N only does very indirectly. I understand they have a fairly standard 12 bit CMOS multiplying DAC inside - these are well known for being poor at glitching, so its entirely possible the UA module has a sample/hold inside. Its my understanding that Dan Lavry did most of the design work of the UA (though apparently he didn't see any of the profits) and he does use a S/H in at least one of his Lavry Engineering DACs.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
You can't mistake D20400s as they're modules rather than chips, large hybrid things.

Yep, here's the D20400 against the PMDAC-1. Look similar, no?

PMDAC-1 vs UAD20400.jpg

Mani.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Here are the ADC modules:

PM2 ADC.jpg

They're about 1.5 times the size of the DAC modules. The PM2 designers claim they are true multi-bit ADCs.

This is what Michael Ritter said in an interview for Mix:

“The actual A/D converter in the Model One runs at 24 bits and 176.4 kHz currently; the Model Two will also convert at 192 kHz. We improve the linearity of our conversion with a high-amplitude broadband dither signal that we mix in with the program in the analog domain. The dither appears to be random, but the system knows at any given instant precisely what the amplitude of that dither signal is. And because we use our own custom, discrete, full-ladder converter with excellent amplitude and phase accuracy, we are able to apply an 'anti-dither' signal, exactly out-of-phase and matched in time, in the digital domain after conversion. That nulls the dither noise out of the signal… If it's going to be a 176.4 or 192kHz DVD-Audio release, then we will not decimate that signal; we use a proprietary filter [non-oversampled] optimized to that sample rate."

This is what Keith O Johnson said in reply to a question I asked him:

“Up conversion is not used at 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz sample rates. Instead, a passive analog filter with group delay correction removes alias products so that all 24 bits of information are captured from each sample by the ADC process. Conversion is made with ladder-pipeline architectures and analog added - DSP subtracted dithering, a first of its kind that is still used for instrumentation. Unlike sigma-delta methods, jitter sensitivity is low and accuracy does not degrade at high program levels.”

In any event, here are some test results of my particular PM2 unit (courtesy of Dave Peck):

ADC Multisine:
ADC Multisine Test low-res.jpg

ADC THD -10dB:
ADC THD Test -10dB low-res.jpg

DAC THD -10dB:
DAC THD Test -10dB low-res.jpg

ADC/DAC Loopback:
ADC-DAC Loop Test low-res.jpg

With all this, can we be certain that the PM2 is indeed a true multi-bit ADC capable of of >16bit resolution? Interested in your thoughts...

Mani.

Last edited:

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Incidentally, for those of you wondering why the hell I'm talking about a 13 year-old ADC, it is totally related to this thread.

It's almost impossible to talk about PCM vs. DSD in a meaningful way. Why? Because all modern ADCs start with a sigma-delta modulator. Yep, all of 'em start out as DSD. It's funny listening to recording engineers who talk of not liking DSD. One in particular springs to mind who uses a Metric Halo ULN-8 for all his work. But this is a DSD ADC, with its output then converted to PCM!

The Pacific Microsonics Model Two may be the only true multi-bit ADC in existence, capable of 24-bit. And only when material has been recorded on such a machine and then played back on a true multi-bit NOS DAC can the merits of PCM really be appreciated.

To my ears, true PCM sounds closer to the original analog source than DSD. And unless you've heard 'true PCM' as described above, you're not really in a position to judge, right?

Mani.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Pacific Microsonics Model Two may be the only true multi-bit ADC in existence, capable of 24-bit. And only when material has been recorded on such a machine and then played back on a true multi-bit NOS DAC can the merits of PCM really be appreciated.

To my ears, true PCM sounds closer to the original analog source than DSD. And unless you've heard 'true PCM' as described above, you're not really in a position to judge, right?

Mani.

Why do you think that is? Curious about why technically speaking PCM might be superior to DSD? Of course, i am a non-techie, so hopefully you can describe 'slowly' to a non-techie.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
This isn't my field at all, so like you I can be considered a non-techie. But even so, the Lipshitz/Vanderkooy paper cited by Opus is incredibly compelling. It really resonates with my own PCM vs. DSD findings.

Here's something that I've doctored from a paper by the DSD proponent, Andreas Koch:

DSD vs. PCM vs. PMII_NOS1.jpg

The top is typical of 99.999% of digital recording/playback chains. When most poeple play back a modern recording on their modern DAC, they're following this.

Koch and others argue that the second chain is better - take out the initial DSD-PCM conversion in the decimation stage and the PCM-DSD in the interpolation stage and stick with DSD all the way through. Makes a lot of sense... until you read Lipshitz & Vanderkooy.

So that leaves the third chain (inserted by me, and not in Koch's original diagram). Start with 'true' PCM and stick with it all the way. The anti-alias filter will need to be a non-oversampling type, in which case the rate really needs to be 4fs (176.4 or 192). And this is exactly what the PM2 does.

I'm sure the 'real experts' here can chime in on the theoretical/technical pros and cons of the second and third chains. But I've spent an inordinate amount of time comparing them and have decided that the third chain is easily the closest to the original analog.

HTH.

Mani.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This isn't my field at all, so like you I can be considered a non-techie. But even so, the Lipshitz/Vanderkooy paper cited by Opus is incredibly compelling. It really resonates with my own PCM vs. DSD findings.

Here's something that I've doctored from a paper by the DSD proponent, Andreas Koch:

View attachment 8238

The top is typical of 99.999% of digital recording/playback chains. When most poeple play back a modern recording on their modern DAC, they're following this.

Koch and others argue that the second chain is better - take out the initial DSD-PCM conversion in the decimation stage and the PCM-DSD in the interpolation stage and stick with DSD all the way through. Makes a lot of sense... until you read Lipshitz & Vanderkooy.

So that leaves the third chain (inserted by me, and not in Koch's original diagram). Start with 'true' PCM and stick with it all the way. The anti-alias filter will need to be a non-oversampling type, in which case the rate really needs to be 4fs (176.4 or 192). And this is exactly what the PM2 does.

I'm sure the 'real experts' here can chime in on the theoretical/technical pros and cons of the second and third chains. But I've spent an inordinate amount of time comparing them and have decided that the third chain is easily the closest to the original analog.

HTH.

Mani.

Thanks! Interesting read!

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Just a quick comment on the third chain:

You'll need a Pacific Microsonics Model One/Two as no other multi-bit non-oversampling 24/4fs ADCs exist to my knowledge. You'll also need a non-oversampling and non-filtering DAC capable of 24/4fs replay. There's only one that I'm aware of, and it's in my signature.

With these restrictions in mind, I have to say that the future of high-quality digital sound may very well lie with pure DSD. My experience of chain two was that it was considerably better than chain one. And I'm in two minds about this. One the one hand it's great knowing that there's a possibility that many people will be able to enjoy better digital sound than they've had before. You can do this today pretty cheaply. Just get a Mytek (or similar) DSD-capable DAC and listen to a few pure DSD downloads. You'll be rewarded with very, very good sound.

On the other hand, you'll not be listening to the best digital sound available. That lies with pure hi-res PCM... IMHO.

Mani.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Um, people who want the best possible digital sound they can get? How much time have you spent comparing DSD to PCM in your system?

About 50 hours.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Just a quick comment on the third chain:

You'll need a Pacific Microsonics Model One/Two as no other multi-bit non-oversampling 24/4fs ADCs exist to my knowledge. You'll also need a non-oversampling and non-filtering DAC capable of 24/4fs replay. There's only one that I'm aware of, and it's in my signature.

With these restrictions in mind, I have to say that the future of high-quality digital sound may very well lie with pure DSD. My experience of chain two was that it was considerably better than chain one. And I'm in two minds about this. One the one hand it's great knowing that there's a possibility that many people will be able to enjoy better digital sound than they've had before. You can do this today pretty cheaply. Just get a Mytek (or similar) DSD-capable DAC and listen to a few pure DSD downloads. You'll be rewarded with very, very good sound.

On the other hand, you'll not be listening to the best digital sound available. That lies with pure hi-res PCM... IMHO.

Mani.

I have read great things about Phasure. Congrat's on your choice of SOTA digital.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
With all this, can we be certain that the PM2 is indeed a true multi-bit ADC capable of of >16bit resolution? Interested in your thoughts...

Yes - from a quick eyeballing of the FFT, I estimate the ADC's resolution is somewhere in the region 17-18 bits. Nowhere near the 24bits claimed, but then nobody has a true 24bit ADC in the audio bandwidth.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Worth noting that the 1st example in the diagram is focused on DSD going to PCM and seems to miss out the ones that do not go to 1-bit recording (sacd/dsd); the studios that are always 24bit/192khz or even 24bit/96khz and possibly 176.4khz.
Linn Records used to do SACD, possibly one of the 1st to do native SACD but eventually they decided to go PCM as all their editing was being done there anyway and now 24bit/192khz.
Quite a few engineers suggest it is very difficult to upsample/downsample from DSD to PCM and PCM to DSD perfectly.

I do tend to think that while mathematically it seems simple to go from various PCM sampling rates and DSD, the reality when analysing the music offered that has been upsampled or downsampled is that a fair amount of it has problems, and these problems can even be related to native PCM release change of sampling rates - freaking nightmare to find consistently excellent downloads.
This is seen when HiFi-News catches such releases with their measurement software reviewing hirez downloads.

Cheers
Orb

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

View attachment 8238

I just went to the first three ADC chip manufacturers I could think of (Cirrus, ADI and TI) and pulled up the datasheets for their top of the range ADCs. Turns out all three companies are using multi-bit modulators, not single bit as is used in DSD. So what Andreas is saying might have been true back in the 1990s when DSD was first formulated, but its simply not the case today. A multi-bit (typically they're using 5 or 6 bits) modulator puts out noise-shaped PCM, not DSD.

<edit> Here's a 4th example, also multi-bit modulator : http://www.ardatech.com/1201.shtml. This part has a DSD output, it must be non-native DSD because the modulator isn't single bit, thus requiring conversion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing