DS Audio ES-001 Eccentricity Detection Stabilizer

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Is the idea to use the ES-001 as the record clamp? Otherwise, isn’t there a high risk the record will move when you take off the ES-001 and put on your clamp?
correct ... once you have aligned the record using the ES-001 it stays in place as the record clamp

TLi

May 27, 2016
Is the idea to use the ES-001 as the record clamp? Otherwise, isn’t there a high risk the record will move when you take off the ES-001 and put on your clamp?
You can certainly use ES-001 as a record clamp. The base is made of tungsten which is a good material for clamp. If you have other better clamps, it may be better to use them instead.

It is not easy to move the record once it is placed on the platter. You really need to push on the edge to move it. Changing to another clamp will not move the record. The downside of ES-001 as a clamp is its loose components. It rotates on its own. The mass is not dynamically balanced, ie the weight is not evenly distributed around the device.

As usual, actual hearing is the final judge.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
You can certainly use ES-001 as a record clamp. The base is made of tungsten which is a good material for clamp. If you have other better clamps, it may be better to use them instead.

It is not easy to move the record once it is placed on the platter. You really need to push on the edge to move it. Changing to another clamp will not move the record. The downside of ES-001 as a clamp is its loose components. It rotates on its own. The mass is not dynamically balanced, ie the weight is not evenly distributed around the device.

As usual, actual hearing is the final judge.
I see, thank you both!
So the corrections are very small in most cases.

TLi

May 27, 2016
I see, thank you both!
So the corrections are very small in most cases.
It depends on what you mean as small. ES-001 gives you a reading for the amount of deviation. In most cases, the reading is more than 50 micrometers.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
You can.

There’s a risk but it depends on how easily the LP moves on your table.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Quick Q...if the freshly cut centre hole is larger than the platter spindle (by definition must always be), and you play the LP again after any period of time, how rapidly can one reposition the LP *absolutely precisely* when re-playing it? Surely we're talking about fractions of a millimetre in any number of directions.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I still don’t see why the record won’t move and ruin its alignment if there is a record weight, or it’s lightly clamped? I can see how it will work with vacuum hold down but if the adjustment is small and the hole in the record is (slightly) larger than it should be for a precise fit on the spindle, why won’t it move while it’s spinning, unless it’s tightly clamped?

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I still don’t see why the record won’t move and ruin its alignment if there is a record weight, or it’s lightly clamped? I can see how it will work with vacuum hold down but if the adjustment is small and the hole in the record is (slightly) larger than it should be for a precise fit on the spindle, why won’t it move while it’s spinning, unless it’s tightly clamped?
I can tell you that I haven’t seen movement after it’s centered an album, noting that I just let go and use it as a record clamp. I haven’t tried a different record clamp after centering the album side.

Can I attach a video? I just shot one demonstrating this concept in action.

If I can’t attach a video and anyone wants to see it … just text me your cell number (or email if preferred) and I’ll send it

Thanks, Greg
614-282-6605 cellular

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I can tell you that I haven’t seen movement after it’s centered an album, noting that I just let go and use it as a record clamp. I haven’t tried a different record clamp after centering the album side.

Can I attach a video? I just shot one demonstrating this concept in action.

If I can’t attach a video and anyone wants to see it … just text me your cell number (or email if preferred) and I’ll send it

Thanks, Greg
614-282-6605 cellular
Thank you, Greg! That was so nice of you to share a video. Much appreciated!

Reactions: gds7368

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I just got an ES-001 and tried it on a few records. There is very limited room to adjust the records - I know I can ream them, but I was expecting more play with a standard sized hole. Could it be that my Brinkmann spindle diameter is a little wider than most, at 7.2-7.3mm? I have noticed that some records required reaming just to be able to fit on the spindle.

Another question is how to adjust the record when part of the revolution is actually centered? At some points along one revolution, the record is perfectly centered. If that’s the case, then can you ever have it perfectly centered?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any answer to my Q from post #26?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Quick Q...if the freshly cut centre hole is larger than the platter spindle (by definition must always be), and you play the LP again after any period of time, how rapidly can one reposition the LP *absolutely precisely* when re-playing it? Surely we're talking about fractions of a millimetre in any number of directions.
Alignment is easy and fast with the ES-001. It will take 1-2 seconds.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, once the hole is cut out, you just re-use the device on future playback to solely "line up" the record once it's on the platter (no further cutting needed)? It's straightforward to find the "sweet spot"?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
So, once the hole is cut out, you just re-use the device on future playback to solely "line up" the record once it's on the platter (no further cutting needed)? It's straightforward to find the "sweet spot"?
Correct, very easy to line it up. After a few times doing it, it’s easy. The hole has to be large enough though.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hence the need to cut it larger...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Interesting, most of my vinyl is a reasonably tight fit to the spindle.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I thought you might be on that the moment I wrote those words. It's like the last 50 years political correctness never happened, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I just got an ES-001 and tried it on a few records. There is very limited room to adjust the records - I know I can ream them, but I was expecting more play with a standard sized hole. Could it be that my Brinkmann spindle diameter is a little wider than most, at 7.2-7.3mm? I have noticed that some records required reaming just to be able to fit on the spindle.

Another question is how to adjust the record when part of the revolution is actually centered? At some points along one revolution, the record is perfectly centered. If that’s the case, then can you ever have it perfectly centered?
I probably have to open about 50% of my 250 or so records slightly to center them. I ream them as little as possible, knowing that's a one way street.

I'm not sure on the second question. Clear or colored records typically don't get any signal to center at all for me. I've only had a very few black records do a wobble pattern (what I think you are describing). I'll keep an eye out for that and see if I could solve it (center the album correctly).

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing