Don't make me repeat myself.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
.I could put up withe occasional dropout. The constant buffering and disability to sign on was a bit too much. Off to the computer store.
The solution- aWi-Fi extender /repeater.
Fairly easy to install. Just find a wall socket halfway hetween the router and the computer

It turns my virus protector was blocking the software. It finally asked my permission to pass voila!
The PTp-link extender is almost plug and play. After plugging it into the wall a/c socket, just access the software and type in your router password for whatever service you have.. aJust move it to a better spot if you like. They suggest using an ethernet cable makes easier. once set up is comkplete you can switch between ethernet and wireless with ease.
similar
tp-link-re210-ac750-uk-plug-600x600.jpg

Last edited:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
In IT lingo they also call this a WiFi Ethernet bridge.

I have several on the shelf here in their retirement. One is still installed to get WiFi to the cigar porch on the farthest end of the garage “tunnel.”

After a “most of the time” successful battle with my isp to fix their side, followed by sucking it up and hardwiring my own side with cat 6 Ethernet to all high quality points of use, streaming is consistently good here these days.

Instead of dropouts or clicks or outages, now it’s levels of detail. There are a surprising number of nights when Amazon quality beats Qobuz quality, or vise versa, on the nominally identical file. Differences can also be heard between different Roon core hosts, and even Roon vs Mosaic.

Digital is fickle. Getting rid of dropouts is just the beginning of the aggravation. YMMV of course.

Reactions: audiobomber

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I used a wi-fi extender in my main system for a few years, then changed to ethernet cable and experienced better sound quality. I then ran fiber and heard further improvement.

Sometimes running a cable is not feasible. I highly advise to stay away from the powerline type extender, which sends an ethernet signal into your AC grid, which will mess with all your audio gear. A wi-fi extender (wi-fi to ethernet bridge) is a good solution, but works best if your router and the extender are both mesh compatible. Otherwise you have two separate wi-fi signals, and reliability suffers.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
And, of course, you get into the domain of Ethernet switches (look like splitters, but powered) too. If your system resolves at a high enough level and your ears are up to it, you can discern differences. The Innuos Phoenix NET is a nice one.

Reactions: NigelB

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
The Innuos Phoenix NET is a nice one.
My comment is OT, but I want to encourage people to test any hardware they install for audio gains. Innuos' switch *is* nice, and for some people it is a perfect match to their system. I tested one and found that in *my* system it was buttery smooth and very pleasant, but it struck a little too much air and detail from the playback.

That's not to discredit the switch. *Any* switch or network hardware can have varying effects. I'm merely suggesting that people should arrange in-home demos whenever possible for this kind of hardware.

It's worth the effort. With the right combo, streaming / network digital playback can be considerably improved vs haphazard "home network" gear. Two years ago, I couldn't have imagined that being true.

Republicoftexas69

Wi-Fi bad, Wi-Fi evil.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

I was so happy when I first went wireless. [ prefer ethernet for music. That is just not practical for me.
You do what you need to do to make it work.

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
So, where I had my system was office with computer and router. Moved downstairs. Moved router downstairs, but then that changed usability with computers cause I prefer wired. Moved router back upstairs, but then I kept getting drops on streamer I couldn't figure out. My house isn't that big, we didn't have coverage issues. Well, I got a plug in extender problem solved. No more drops.

I can't tell a difference, but I have more resolving system now and keep meaning to go back to check SQ. I don't know if extender effects, but I was happy to get router/cable and wall wart away from system. Cleaned things up.

Now, I can move router back down stairs and extender up. Shouldn't have any issues. I've considered getting LPS for router. Also... I've always considered running a dedicated circuit from my main panel to my system. It's just on other side of the wall and would be super easy to do. I have a LPS on my streamer. I could even keep router off that circuit.

This thread reminded me of my issues... Any suggestions on best way to clean up my signal?

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My dropout problem is no more. :D

Reactions: Another Johnson

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing