Does Everything Make a Difference?

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Can someone point me to the results of a juried blind A/B test in which equipment reviewers - the ones who make a living at it - participated? Many of them make comments in their reviews that suggest superhuman aural memories and listening skills, so such a test should be a walk in the park for them to pass with flying colors. I'm not talking about the easy stuff like speakers and amps. In the spirit of this thread, I'm talking about tweaks that they enthusiastically recommend. Let's start with an easy one to blind test: record weights.
The reviewers you talk about have already failed. MQA wiped out a big chunk all of them when they couldn't tell what it was. Mobile Fidelity wiped out another big chunk when reviewers couldn't tell that there was a digital step in 126 records. Two time losers would be people like Michael Fremer.

Reactions: Lagonda

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
So, let's hook up Ron Resnick with a bunch of sensors in his head, put on headphones and play Pink Floyd's The Wall. Do you think we can reconstruct the music from Ron’s brain activity?
Why would we do that?

• Haha
Reactions: tima

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Does anyone remember the fiber optic signal cables from harmonic technology? Those got incredible reviews in one of the major magazines and then were never heard from again.
Forums and magazines are littered with new gear, new tech, new approaches that are the buzz of the month. I do accept that many things we do make subtle to more obvious differences but then if those differences aren’t ultimately beneficial the buzz gear and tweaks can die out just as quickly as the come up.

Every time you change or transform a signal you can do as much damage as good. I do look to shorter and simpler pathways as having some potential benefits as a guide (so not just throwing more things into the pathway all the time) but everything has then to be assessed in the context of does it work and is it better and in what ways. Am I just drawn to the experience of change, does the change engage me better in music, does it sound in final balance closer in ways to being real.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rensselaer

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The reviewers you talk about have already failed. MQA wiped out a big chunk all of them when they couldn't tell what it was. Mobile Fidelity wiped out another big chunk when reviewers couldn't tell that there was a digital step in 126 records. Two time losers would be people like Michael Fremer.
I want to see Fremer in a "A Clockwork Orange" style double blind test, testing MoFi records ! :p

COF

Sep 29, 2017
Can someone point me to the results of a juried blind A/B test in which equipment reviewers - the ones who make a living at it - participated? Many of them make comments in their reviews that suggest superhuman aural memories and listening skills, so such a test should be a walk in the park for them to pass with flying colors. I'm not talking about the easy stuff like speakers and amps. In the spirit of this thread, I'm talking about tweaks that they enthusiastically recommend. Let's start with an easy one to blind test: record weights.

Researchers Floyd Toole and Dr. Sean Olive have pointed to blind speaker tests with a range of listeners, from novices to professional audio reviewers. The audio reviewers did not score any better than the novices, as I recall.

Not a big enough sample size to be definitive, but to the degree some have been tested they've proven just as fallible.

(Which, btw, for more elaborate reasons, I do not take to rule out the usefulness of subjective reviewers. I do think their observations can be accurate and useful).

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
It is often said by many audiophiles that "everything makes a difference." Beyond different cables and different components making a difference, these folks mean that everything makes a difference:

-- the metallurgy of the duplex outlet wall cover plate

-- a block of wood or other material on the top of a component

-- a Shun Mook disc or Shakti Stone on the top of an amplifier

-- the power cord going into the power supply of a turntable motor

-- the DAC is plugged in when you are listening to vinyl

-- interconnects are elevated above the floor

-- the metallurgy of the wire carrying power from the electrical sub-panel servicing the listening room to the outlets into which components are lugged

-- different fuses in a component

-- power cables are not criss-crossed with signal cables

-- an unused amplifier is sitting on the floor of the listening room

-- the connector on the speaker cable is Rhodium plated or not

-- the unused jacks on the pre-amp are plugged up

-- a coffee table is in front of the listening chair

-- an extra piece of wire "dongle" is inserted somewhere

-- a block of wood or steel or granite underneath a component

-- the ASC TubeTrap is diffusion side out or absorption side out

-- a clock is plugged into a AC outlet in the listening room

-- the wire coming out of your Wi-Fi router

-- the USB extension bus ("switch") going to your streamer

-- etc.

Does everything really make a difference? Or do we just believe -- or do we just want to believe -- that everything makes a difference?

Do we want to believe that everything makes a different because we think we can hear a difference?
To me two things make the biggest difference: The music you play and the company you keep. The rest is just toys.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
We should have a thread for people who have never listened to or played their stereo, yet it is technically perfect.
Maybe its like Schrodinger's cat? It s perfect until they listen to it.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Does anyone remember the fiber optic signal cables from harmonic technology?
Do you want some? I have two pairs I've been meaning to put up for sale. They are a good example of being able to clearly hear a difference between them and regular cables. But also, that difference ultimately to my ears proved to not be positive. (We trialed them to use in some systems with really long runs.) While they did sound clear and open, they ultimately sounded 'dirty' much like the way stock network switches and USB cables can muck up the sound in digital. That was something that came apparent when long term listening was added to the testing. We had a panel of four home testers, and three heard the negative qualities, one didn't and liked them.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Reactions: twitch

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
-- a Shun Mook disc or Shakti Stone on the top of an amplifier
Please don't club the two. I own both, and would gladly sell my Shakti if I could find where I put them 7 or so years ago. Never letting go off the Shun Mooks.

Reactions: mtemur

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Two different questions. Does everything matter? Does a particular product make a difference?

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
just wondering what these Bruces from down under would make of this thread on the forum.
for your viewing enjoyment (sic)

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Funny video. The four stooges do stereo.

It does highlight the absurdness of audiophilia nervosa.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I was listening ?to this system yesterday. Very good. The owner sad he wasn't crazy for having the signal cable on lifters. It was only to make him aware so he didn't step on them.

Attachments

• 20231221_152345.jpg
    20231221_152345.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was listening ?to this system yesterday. Very good. The owner sad he wasn't crazy for having the signal cable on lifters. It was only to make him aware so he didn't step on them.

can you please describe the system? Analog, amps, pre, phono, drivers? Thanks? Is that GM70 biamping?

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The owner sad he wasn't crazy for having the signal cable on lifters. It was only to make him aware so he didn't step on them.

That's exactly the purpose of my cable lifters as well.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
That's exactly the purpose of my cable lifters as well.
My cable lifters - made from my son's discarded tinker toy set - make it easier to vacuum up dust bunnies.

Reactions: christoph and Leekg

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
can you please describe the system? Analog, amps, pre, phono, drivers? Thanks? Is that GM70 biamping?
Great scale. Very good bass. Better image placement than I thought. I would be wey happy with them in a larger room. Good resolution too. All around this system has come into focus over the past year.

Attachments

• 20231221_152615.jpg
    20231221_152615.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231221_152613.jpg
    20231221_152613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20231221_152630.jpg
    20231221_152630.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231221_152623.jpg
    20231221_152623.jpg
    920.4 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing