Does anyone just listen to music anymore without critiquing their system

I think you're confusing subjective taste with an attempt to objectively assess the effect of better sound reproduction on listening to music. I mean why are people audiophiles in the first place?

I don't know why people are audiophiles not being one of them myself. I could conjecture but not of my thoughts on the subject are particularly flattering.

Since i have the zanden and the cat boulder combination , i have no more complaints what so ever , it sounds involving and accurate !!
I really have the feeling i dont need to change for better anymore .
The genalex tubes in the cat makes it sound even better and quiter
I probably keep the boulder as well .

As far as loudspeaker FR , i tuned the FR with a 2 db slope towards 10 khz , otherwise its to bright, so in the end still finetuned slightly by ear

Since i have the zanden and the cat boulder combination , i have no more complaints what so ever , it sounds involving and accurate !!
I really have the feeling i dont need to change for better anymore .
The genalex tubes in the cat makes it sound even better and quiter
I probably keep the boulder as well .

As far as loudspeaker FR , i tuned the FR with a 2 db slope towards 10 khz , otherwise its to bright, so in the end still finetuned slightly by ear

What are you listening to (music)?

Lately i am more into movies , and sometimes music on CD/LP
Pulp fiction, HEAT and harry potterseries , are my main loudspeakertesters
Analogue has to wait a little , the noise of the Cat phono stage disturbs me , although its pretty good .
Still waiting for a boulder or zanden phono stage to pop up on the market

Last edited:
I pride myself on the fact that no matter what I listen to, whether that be my 2CH system, my PC setup, my car's FM station or the odd time I listen to tunes on my cell phone, that I never critique the sound. I'm in this hobby for the music and that takes precedence over everything. As a result my system changes tend to be slow and well-thought out. Despite not critiquing, I do know where the deficiencies are and I work toward trying to implement them. That is not easy for someone on a limited budget, so it takes awhile.

We all got into this hobby I'm presuming because of the music, but over time that music has become less important for many. The gear has supplanted the music as the primary source for satisfaction or level of interest, and the music ....well, I sometimes have to question whether that's an interest at all. There is no doubt that detail, resolution, black backgrounds, etc., etc. are important to those who critique their systems, but does the music itself? One only has to look at the music threads to see how little activity they get as compared to the component threads.

There is no doubt that detail, resolution, black backgrounds, etc., etc. are important to those who critique their systems, but does the music itself? One only has to look at the music threads to see how little activity they get as compared to the component threads.

:(

That's all I've got to say about that.

Tom

We are all music lovers and because of this we try to have the finest components to reproduce the music.That's why we are forever upgrading.(or think we are)
When we finally hear Nirvana ,we then can stop critiquing and lose our self's in the music

When I was 16 I had some $100 speakers that sounded badass playing Nirvana, and I could easily get lost in the music. Or isn't that what you mean?

Hello, TJE. Being the sound guy for David Grohl way back in my high school days? I'm quite sure both him and I could agree back then with getting "lost" in the music on a $100 pair of speakers. I'm quite sure many folks on this forum and others have thought the same at one point or another throughout their audio journey. That was, however, back then. Depending on one's own personal audio journey, getting "lost" in the music now will take on a completely different meaning. Hence, the reason for high-end audio forums like this one.

What was just isn't anymore and the yearning to get "lost" in the music takes on what would amount to David -vs- Goliath.

Well, at least to some. :)

Tom

We are all music lovers and because of this we try to have the finest components to reproduce the music.That's why we are forever upgrading.(or think we are)
When we finally hear Nirvana ,we then can stop critiquing and lose our self's in the music

Vey true sir, but where's the new exploration on new music recordings?

The emphasis is much more concentrated on the electronica.

And without newer and better recordings posted here on the forums we are swimming in the infinite waters of the 'surreal'; meaning way too much talk about the gear, and expensive gear at that. ...And we always go back in time as well, but sometimes for the better.

Here, people love Turntables, and Analog, and Albums, and High-End loudspeakers, and Amplifiers, and Preamplifiers, and Phono Preamps, and Blu-ray movies, and SACDs (multichannel and stereo), and Jazz, and Classical (Ya!), and all kind of other stuff, and they love to talk 'bout. :b

...New technologies, iPads, iPhones, iPods, Laptops, Apple, Microsoft, Sports, Politics, Economics, Geographics, Photography, Cinema, Art History, Philosophy, Poetry, Psychology, and all that jazz.

We're all here because we love each other and we love what we talk about, and also to learn and share and have fun, and think new ideas, and bettering ourselves.

The truly best threads are the Classical Music ones; there people listen to the true ESSENCE of ecstasy.
I know for a fact, and that is exactly what I'm doing right now.
That's where I discover the true music maestros, the best musical recordings (classical) by the best composers and from the best performances.

One guy here is into that, and that's Kal Rubinson. And there are few others too. Kal would be the perfect gentleman to start a Classical music thread. Voila! :b

I know some great places on the Internet for the best Classical music. And that's where you find the most peaceful people, and with the best taste on music, and their gear is nice too, but they don't make a big deal about it.
What counts is the diversity, the music collection, the Classical stuff! :b

Last edited:
I pride myself on the fact that no matter what I listen to, whether that be my 2CH system, my PC setup, my car's FM station or the odd time I listen to tunes on my cell phone, that I never critique the sound. I'm in this hobby for the music and that takes precedence over everything. As a result my system changes tend to be slow and well-thought out. Despite not critiquing, I do know where the deficiencies are and I work toward trying to implement them. That is not easy for someone on a limited budget, so it takes awhile.

We all got into this hobby I'm presuming because of the music, but over time that music has become less important for many. The gear has supplanted the music as the primary source for satisfaction or level of interest, and the music ....well, I sometimes have to question whether that's an interest at all. There is no doubt that detail, resolution, black backgrounds, etc., etc. are important to those who critique their systems, but does the music itself? One only has to look at the music threads to see how little activity they get as compared to the component threads.
Agree. Some of my most enjoyable musical experiences are on the car stereo where I can turn the volume up to ear-splitting levels without worrying about the neighbors. But there are folks out there whom I would describe as "technophiles" rather than audiophiles, and I can understand that because the technology of sound-reproduction can be beguiling and beautiful. It is designed that way, for example, the d'Agostino amplifier (not my taste though). That is their choice but to me the components are tools to accomplish the enjoyment of music by revealing the nuances that make up the performance. As my system improves, I can enjoy music more because I hear deeper into the music. The wisest course would be to find a point where the sound is just right, and stick with that setup. (I've been there several times.) But then the quest for the perfect sound raises its head. A kind of addiction, which could be the subject of another discussion.

Last edited:
Well i'm sorry to disagree with most but i do love music BUT only when it sound's GOOD i didn't spend a good amount of money on my system to get music that don't sound good i like the sound of my system and i am very careful of the music i buy if by mistake i bought bad recorded music it will be resold very quickly at half the price to someone that is not so critical as me there are many that don't care about the SOUND for them it's all about the music i'm simply NOT like that for me to like a piece of music it also as to SOUND good if an artist doesn't care about the quality of his recordings then i don't care for his music plain and simple.

-- Hey Andre, Happy Holidays to you and all your family and friends! :b

* You, my good friend, and I, we both agree. :b

Same to you Bob and all your family.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing