dipping my toe into the ddk flow.....

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England
After a long hiatus from WBF it was really nice to read this thread and Steve's. As others have said in this thread (or Steve's) I'd also like to extend a thanks to David for his very generous advice in emails. If David is so kind I can only imagine that this is the type of experience/adventure that would be right up my ally, valuing many (or all) of the things that David wrote about. I too am on my way to the horn/SET land, though a different approach from David's.

ddk

Industry Expert
May 19, 2013
Utah
After a long hiatus from WBF it was really nice to read this thread and Steve's. As others have said in this thread (or Steve's) I'd also like to extend a thanks to David for his very generous advice in emails. If David is so kind I can only imagine that this is the type of experience/adventure that would be right up my ally, valuing many (or all) of the things that David wrote about. I too am on my way to the horn/SET land, though a different approach from David's.
Hello hvbias,
My only comment is not to dismiss vintage outright in favor of the modern, horn speakers haven't come a long way long other technologies (though also debatable!) if anything they've regressed. Enjoy the journey!

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello hvbias,
My only comment is not to dismiss vintage outright in favor of the modern, horn speakers haven't come a long way long other technologies (though also debatable!) if anything they've regressed. Enjoy the journey!

david
Western electric best room in Munich today, made everything else sound broken. Still some more rooms to go though, but the big viva masterhorn or whatever, tune audio at 220k lol, and others left a lot to be desired. Second best room was audio exklusiv stats, think these are much better than Logan and quads at lower price, recommended originally by the late and great Mr acoustat. After that, even if I am forced to rank it will be tough. In a rant mood right now. Better to log off. Big Goebbel have promise, if made to sound a bit more natural in proper setting they can fit in Mike's style room I think

Aug 26, 2012
Western electric best room in Munich today, made everything else sound broken. Still some more rooms to go though, but the big viva masterhorn or whatever, tune audio at 220k lol, and others left a lot to be desired. Second best room was audio exklusiv stats, think these are much better than Logan and quads at lower price, recommended originally by the late and great Mr acoustat. After that, even if I am forced to rank it will be tough. In a rant mood right now. Better to log off. Big Goebbel have promise, if made to sound a bit more natural in proper setting they can fit in Mike's style room I think
Western Electric were natural with no emphasis on any frequency band . Great scale and a strong low end with good control . Not the final word in refinement , there exists a coarseness in certain recordings . Not particularly strong at imaging , which may the case at a live concert .

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England
Hello hvbias,

david
Thank you, I'm looking forward to it!

I was able to audition a similar system that I am building towards. Even with the solid state amplifiers the owner was using the immediacy, speed resolution, and extreme subtlest timbral differences/dynamics were readily apparent; up until that point I had never heard all those qualities in a single system. I am going a custom route using active amplification, so two separate SET amps for midbass horn and the modified conical/tractrix midrange/treble constant directivity horn up top. I would like to do pure DHT signal chain through out... but with two amplifiers that starts to turn into a total of 8 chassis.

All this coming from someone that normally does not like the audiophile style horn systems with narrow bandwidth round horns stacked on top of each other that sound discontinuous. The last time I posted to WBF I think I only had the Quad ESL63, I've now been living with ESL57 for a few years and it's made me even more selective of speaker colorations.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing