Denafrips product owners please fall in

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
I found the HDMI cables make a huge difference, I have not experimented with BNC but it sounds like I should. A year ago Alvin recommended
https://usashop.sommercable.com/en/Cable/BNC-Video-Cable/Wordclock-SC-Focusline-L-Highflex-FL59.html
https://usashop.sommercable.com/en/Cable/HiFi-Home/Multimediakabel-EXCELSIOR-BlueWater-EBH4.html
The HDMI cable was way better than the $ 500 cable I had but not as good as the Audioquest Thunder 4K I am using. Maby start with the Black Cat cables.
HDMI cable can make a difference of course. About the BNC, some said a studio quality cable should be sufficient, but I found that the system sounds better with an "audiophile" cable.

My Atmosphere X BNC has a ground connector, and at first I didn't pay much attention to this extra ground connector (doesn't make much sense to connect additional ground specifically out of BNC cable(s) since my system already has ground (power outlet). Plus, connecting this ground wire requires a separate free outlet (cannot be connected to the same strip or any power conditional strip).

Anyway, last week my curiosity got the best of me, and I tried this additional ground with a dedicated unfiltered power strip directly to the wall. I didn't expect to hear any difference but the music sounded a bit fuller details were slightly better. I tried removing / reconnecting the ground and was sure it wasn't my imagination. I really have no idea why this can make any difference, because ground is ground and that other outlet also shared the same main ground of the house.

rreynolds

Dec 6, 2021
Just purchased a Gaia w/ a Tubulus Concentus i2S cable. Can't wait to share impressions w/ my Venus II once it arrives.

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Just updated the USB MCU firmware v3.12 on my Hermes DDC and my T+ DAC never sounded so great. The Vinshine Audio e-mail indicates that there will be some technical improvements, bug fixes as well as improved sound. There is added clarity and darker background IMHO.

Reactions: Koso and CKKeung

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Hi Dasign,
Clock cables/coaxial digital cables do affect the sonic result significantly.
There are some good and inexpensive choices in the market.
I highly recommend the Black Cat Audio products made by Chris Sommovigo.
His Silverstar!75 Mk2 digital cable is a very good-buy.
Please check it up.

Just installed the Black Cat digital cables between the Iris and Terminator Plus. Immediate change. Removed a level of congestion I hadn't noticed. Low end is more detailed defined and very rich. More air and reverb. Better separation of instruments.
I just realized I have spent more on each of the 3 cables I use with the Iris excluding the USB cable from my server (Power cord, digital clock cables, HDMI) than I spent on the Iris. I am close to 3K adding in the cost of the Iris. It seems like a lot but there is no going back now.

Reactions: Dasign and CKKeung

seeteeyou

Apr 6, 2015
FYI - we've got quite a few fans of AudioQuest 48Gbps HDMI cables here in Hong Kong while there's this 4 way shootout among AQ Diamond / Monster M3000 / WW Platinum Starlight 7 / AQ Dragon 48

https://post76.hk/thread-324574-1-1.html
https://post76.hk/thread-327932-1-1.html
https://post76.hk/thread-328132-1-1.html

Dragon 48 took the crown with "perfect scores"

https://post76.hk/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=327932&page=4#pid4922355

However, one of them already sold both of his Dragon 48 after upgrading to Nordost Valhalla 2 Ethernet and HDMI cables recently

https://post76.hk/thread-332671-1-1.html
https://post76.hk/thread-333109-1-1.html
https://post76.hk/thread-333440-1-1.html

Disclaimer - those HDMI cables were used for both video and audio purposes while the audio side seemed to reap even more benefits

https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Color.terry/posts/731016390921572
????????????????

Even Denon AVC-A110 and Pioneer LX800 could reveal the significant differences between Dragon 48 and Valhalla 2, let's just imagine what we could accomplish with an audiophile setup.

OTOH, most likely PGGB-RT @ $135 should provide much better value (i.e. compared to Valhalla 2 @ $2,999.99) since Denafrips DDCs / DACs could handle 16FS.

BTW, I guess that maybe Heimdall 2 @ $600 might also be a viable alternative?

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/newport2015/newport2015_nordost.htm

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
Have you guys ever experienced any static noise with NOS mode?

My Terminator Plus is connected to the Hermes via I2S. The TP is always in NOS mode, and both DAC + DDC have been left on the whole time (as suggested by Alvin). When I did not listen to it, I just put the DAC in standby mode.

From time to time, I heard static noise along with the music (faint and not intrusive) in NOS mode when music was played. If I switched back to OS mode, the noise was gone (and came back when I toggled the NOS back in).

I tried to isolate/identify the issue, and these are my findings:
  • It's the DAC that caused this problem. I tried removing the DDC and the problem persisted.
  • This happens once every 2-3 days from the last power cycle.
  • Mostly happened in NOS mode.
  • This noise can be fixed by power cycling the DAC. After I killed the power and plugged it back on, the unit worked perfectly with both NOS and OS modes.
  • Now the DAC is with firmware 3.06 will try 3.12 today, but I really doubt this will help as this firmware deals with USB issue, but my unit operates via I2S.
Anyone has this same issue? If so, which model do you use?

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
Have you guys ever experienced any static noise with NOS mode?

I unfortunately know this problem with noise with Terminator Plus. I used the DSD path (HQPlayer PCM to DSD256) via USB. However, it occurred with me rarely (once a month?). Disconnect and reconnect the power cable also helped me.

That was a pity, because sonically I was satisfied.

China is very good at producing high-quality hardware. But for example a German manufacturer like T+A can do better. But these products are much more expensive.

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
WOW! I just read all through this thread. I have the Venus II and Alvin has recommended I get the Hermes vs Gaia. I plan to order it this April. I will be running my CSNv2 streamer via Illuminations D60 coax to the Hermes and well as my CEC TL1 Transport via Kimber Orchid AES/EBU. I was thinking of the Wireworld 7 ultraviolet HDMI to the Venus II. I do not have any USB connections to Hermes, will I still get some improvements anyway? (I get the impression it's mostly about the USB connection getting the benefit. )Thanks, this is my first post. It took hours to read through all these posts and I learned a LOT. Thank you!

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I do not have any USB connections to Hermes, will I still get some improvements anyway? (I get the impression it's mostly about the USB connection getting the benefit. )Thanks, this is my first post. It took hours to read through all these posts and I learned a LOT. Thank you!

IME, the i2S input on Denafrips DAC's is consistently the best input in terms of sonics, so that is another major benefit of the DDC.

devilboy

Jun 22, 2013
Just received my Hermes DDC from Denafrips. When I feed it a USB signal, it does not output to my DAC. I tried coax and optical (custom made i2s with RJ45 is on the way).
It works when I feed it a signal via coax or optical, meaning it sends the signal successfully to my DAC.

I have a Mac so no driver needed to install per Denafrips' instructions.
The handshake between my Mac and the Hermes via USB seems to happen because my "system preferences" screen shows Denafrips Hermes via USB. So I believe something is not working correctly inside the Hermes to output a signal to my DAC.

Any suggestions?
I emailed Denafrips but their suggestions were irrelevant.
I really don't know what else to do here.

Koso

Aug 31, 2020
Trnava, Slovakia
Just received my Hermes DDC from Denafrips. When I feed it a USB signal, it does not output to my DAC. I tried coax and optical (custom made i2s with RJ45 is on the way).
It works when I feed it a signal via coax or optical, meaning it sends the signal successfully to my DAC.

I have a Mac so no driver needed to install per Denafrips' instructions.
The handshake between my Mac and the Hermes via USB seems to happen because my "system preferences" screen shows Denafrips Hermes via USB. So I believe something is not working correctly inside the Hermes to output a signal to my DAC.

Any suggestions?
I emailed Denafrips but their suggestions were irrelevant.
I really don't know what else to do here.
First of all, I would try some other usb source. If it works, then the error is not in Hermes, if no other USB source works, the error must be found in Denafrips. Did you email Alvin (support@vinshineaudio.com)? Alvin is very helpful in solving technical problems.

SwissEars

Feb 22, 2022
Hi, new on this forum. Found it as I made the decision to go for a Denafrips T2 or T+.

First: nice forum you got going here! Knowledgeable and friendly and respectful. Neither a given these days

Where I need help: T2 or T+ and with which DDC?
I am trending towards T2 as better value and very close to T+, but open to counter arguments.

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
I have purchased the T+ and extremely happy with it. Did not want to have any remorses for not purchasing the top of the line DAC from Denafrips. A few weeks later, I purchased the Hermes DDC, which brings the T+ to another level. No technical reasons to go with the Gaia DDC for me, since the Hermes and Gaia share the same circuitry, unless you prefer the esthetics of the Gaia, which has a thick CNC aluminium chassis.

Reactions: richard_crl032

devilboy

Jun 22, 2013
First of all, I would try some other usb source. If it works, then the error is not in Hermes, if no other USB source works, the error must be found in Denafrips. Did you email Alvin (support@vinshineaudio.com)? Alvin is very helpful in solving technical problems.
That's for the suggestion. Turns out it was a Midi setting on my Mac.
It switched to 1.5mhz (I believe). I switched it to 44.1 and it worked.

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
@devilboy , glad to hear!

Indeed, the Audio Midi Setup needs to be set correctly. If you use roon/audirvana where the software can take exclusive control of the Audio Device (USB DAC/DDC).

Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 12.25.34.png

Guide: https://www.denafrips.com/mac-os

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
Here's the complete teardown video of the DENAFRIPS Pontus II DAC.

Happy watching!

Yogi42

Feb 15, 2022
Just waiting for FedX to deliver my Venus. Currently Ares II is in system now, we replaced an X26pro.

Reactions: FT251

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
@rreynolds Did you form any conclusions on the Concentus? I have the Argentus. (Venus II - Hermes)

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
I bought Denafrips Hermes recently, and using it with the Denafrips Pontus Dac.
I have used Audioquest Forest HDMI cable to transfer the signal over i2s. This improved the systems clarity and gave the music more dynamic flow. So happy I did this. It also reduced harshness and bloated bass, which perhaps is due to reduction in jitter. It made me question my choice of source, the Marantz ND 8006. Has anyone here experimented with different sources when using a pair of Denafrips DAC and DDC?
I did just got a new Tubulus i2s cable yesterday, but it clearly needs time to break in before a serious evaluation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing