Denafrips product owners please fall in

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
To be fair, I hate gear that dosn't have a mains power switch...had the same problem with a Krell KRC-3 and KRC-HR. Class A preamps just wasting power all the time if not in use.
it can't be that difficult to fit a good quality switch, since we're talking low power devices so the wear should be minimal.

Gryphon solved it very neatly in my Prelude preamp - the mains switch is hidden on the bottom plate just behind the front panel and on the front there is a standby switch as well.

By the way, weird thing, that Korean version of the T+. The T+ by itself is supposed to have cherry picked clocks.
Could it be a one-off by a local dealer?

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I understand the idea behind isolated clean DC from a battery. Doesn't the Yeti have to convert DC to AC. Wouldn't the quality of the AC still depend on the converter? How good is the AC? the 400 sells for about $ 500, there can be high end materials inside it for the conversion. I would worry about the current delivery capabilities for my tube pre-amp.

I do have a few SMPS's I have taken off my dedicated lines because of the audible noise they inject. I think that would be a place for the Yeti as the SMPS's don't seem to draw much current and the battery life wouldn't be a constant issue. Maybe using another for the LPS's to isolate them as while they are not as noisy as SMPS's all equipment add noise?

It also has a 12 V DC out. Would it be better than my LPS's from Uptone or Farad, it is cheaper?

Yeah, I think you are right about the converter quality. The thing that got me interested was, the reviewer's system is obviously state of the art stuff, and here he was finding the $500 Yeti had better sonic performance than a dedicated line with power conditioning.

At that price it is almost worth taking a flyer on it and see if the reviewer is right about the sonic performance.

Last edited:

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
The reason there is standby button but no power button is that the clock needs to remain at an elevated temperature to perform best its an OCXO Clock- Oven Controlled Crystal (Xtal) Oscillator. It has to be on for days to come to equilibrium and best performance. I leave mine on on (not standby) per Alvin's recommendation for best performance.
Exactly. I do the same. If you want best sonic performance, this is just the trade off. My TPlus and Gaia were both unplugged for a couple months. I plugged them in three days ago. Initially, I was like "hmmmm.... sounds very nice but not as good as I remembered". Didn't listen again until last night and.... all is right with the world again. Just spectacular sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abyss Man

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Recently upgraded from a Benchmark DAC3 HGC to a Terminator Plus DAC. Owned the T+ for over a week now and it just killed the Benchmark DAC. The T+ has better low level detail retrieval, improved soundstage presentation and natural instrument timbre reproduction. At this point, I prefer the NOS mode when listening to 44.1/16 bits recordings, which sound more natural to me than the OS mode.

My system consists of the following equipment:

Asus RT-N66U router/Ethernet/Sonore OpticalModule/Ethernet fiber/Sonore OpticalRendu/USB/Terminator Plus DAC/Benchmark LA4 line amp/Classé Audio CAM-600 monoblock amps/rebuilt external Apogee Duetta Signature crossovers/ refurbished Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers. Interconnect, power and speaker cables are all Duelund wires. 07DB325C-DCFE-4B96-9167-5F7346DB6F68.jpeg

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Recently upgraded from a Benchmark DAC3 HGC to a Terminator Plus DAC. Owned the T+ for over a week now and it just killed the Benchmark DAC. The T+ has better low level detail retrieval, improved soundstage presentation and natural instrument timbre reproduction. At this point, I prefer the NOS mode when listening to 44.1/16 bits recordings, which sound more natural to me than the OS mode.

My system consists of the following equipment:

Asus RT-N66U router/Ethernet/Sonore OpticalModule/Ethernet fiber/Sonore OpticalRendu/USB/Terminator Plus DAC/Benchmark LA4 line amp/Classé Audio CAM-600 monoblock amps/rebuilt external Apogee Duetta Signature crossovers/ refurbished Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers. Interconnect, power and speaker cables are all Duelund wires. View attachment 80618
Beautiful system.

Reactions: Dasign

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Someone on Youtube measured the ARES II as not being true NOS, if the general implementation is the same, the Termi isn't NOS either.

Dasign, I have Apogees myself, lovely speakers. Who did yours? I notice the ribbons might need a bit of extra tension.
True Sound Works in Nevada. The ribbon tension on my speaker is fine. It may just be some lightning reflections in the photo…

toddrhodes

Dec 17, 2018
Venus II owner checking in. Running from a Zen Stream operating as HQ Player NAA, feeding Venus II with DSD256, ASDM7EC modulator, sinc-mx or gauss-long filter. And I have seen the measurements indicating they are not true "NOS," however I do wish someone could test the scenario of another "true NOS" DAC like Holo May with HQ Player-upsampling, to a DF DAC with the same sort of upsampling in NOS mode. At that point, is it a noteworthy or measurable difference and even if so, could it be audible?

To that end, I do have a Holo May KTE on order. Not sure when it's coming, but based on when I ordered it, it should be here in a few weeks. I will say, despite all the very good press and fanfare May has gotten - it has a hell of a fight on its hands IMO. Venus II is a terrific R2R DAC, it plays really well in DSD mode, and so many of the positive attributes I read about May, are things I'm already observing in Venus II.

But, the proof is in the pudding, so we'll see how it goes. Either way, I'm in no rush. Venus II is a simply killer DAC. I just wish they could provide some sort of explanation as to why "NOS may not really be NOS."

Reactions: Blake

sajihassan

Feb 8, 2021
Hi Guys, this is my first post in this forum. I am using an integrated amplifier Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 which is a true digital amplifier and it is working only in the digital domain. There is no benefit for me to add an external dac since even if I feed an analog signal it will convert to digital. Is it possible to add a DDC like Gaia to my amplifier and will there be any improvement in sound quality.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Hi Guys, this is my first post in this forum. I am using an integrated amplifier Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 which is a true digital amplifier and it is working only in the digital domain. There is no benefit for me to add an external dac since even if I feed an analog signal it will convert to digital. Is it possible to add a DDC like Gaia to my amplifier and will there be any improvement in sound quality.
Yes, you will get a significant boost in sound quality with a good DDC for digital sources. I use a Mutec MC-3 +USB with my TDAi-2170, and it is wonderful - the sound of the amp becomes much more open, detailed, dynamic, colorful, expressive and simply more enjoyable. You will be amazed at the difference, and with a good DDC the TDAi-2170 is the one amp that I keep coming back to, so it will stay with me. The Denafrips Gaia is also a really good performer and more convenient than the Mutec because switching digital sources is more convenient and without any delay, but you do pay more for it.

The Lyngdorf's analog inputs are just about OK, but for vinyl I now use a (sadly obsolete) PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter to take a line input from my Phasemation EA-350 phono amplifier, then feeding a 24bit/48kHz digital signal to the Mutec DDC and then out to the TDAi-2170. Complicated, but it sounds completely wonderful.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Hello guys,

Good to read the discussion and sharing here!
Do share the photos of your setup. Here is mine :D

View attachment 67206

Enjoy the music!

Hi Alvin. Looking at the pics you sent out today of your new listening space, it looks like you've changed your speakers to the ATC's. Did you sell your Magico speakers?

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
@Blake , the Magico A3s still with me. They are in the 2nd setup.... :)

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
Demoroom.png

Almost there.

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
Hi Alvin, how would you describe the sound differences between Kinki Ex-B7 and the new Denafrips Apollo? Unfortunately there is still no review about the Apollo, but I'm quite interested.
Thanks in advance

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Assuming that what was asserted at AS is even true why would it necessarily matter? All that the poster is saying is that he prefers the NOS setting over the OS setting. Denefrips seems tight lipped regarding how they define or have implemented "NOS" with their products but one way or the other owners have been giving them high praise. I have a T2 and a Hermes DDC using I2S and the clock out function of the T2 to the Hermes. I feel that my units are still breaking in but having tried a lot of combinations and permutations using T2 NOS/OS in various configurations with Roon upsampling. I prefer using no upsampling in Roon and the TS set to NOS ...or whatever it is.

YMMV

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Assuming that what was asserted at AS is even true why would it necessarily matter? All that the poster is saying is that he prefers the NOS setting over the OS setting. Denefrips seems tight lipped regarding how they define or have implemented "NOS" with their products but one way or the other owners have been giving them high praise. I have a T2 and a Hermes DDC using I2S and the clock out function of the T2 to the Hermes. I feel that my units are still breaking in but having tried a lot of combinations and permutations using T2 NOS/OS in various configurations with Roon upsampling. I prefer using no upsampling in Roon and the TS set to NOS ...or whatever it is.

YMMV
I had the same opinion about NOS sounding better than OS, until I purchased HQPlayer. HQPlayer just kills Roon regarding audio playback quality .

Reactions: toddrhodes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing